hd25-1 impressions thread
Feb 3, 2007 at 1:11 AM Post #46 of 3,348
Quote:

Originally Posted by kiwirugby /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Including the DJ81s (I note you have a recabled pair)?

Yep. The HD25-1's isolate better than the 81dj's. The 81dj's aren't too bad, but the HD25-1's are notably better.

Feb 3, 2007 at 1:18 AM Post #47 of 3,348
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yep. The HD25-1's isolate better than the 81dj's. The 81dj's aren't too bad, but the HD25-1's are notably better.

Thanks, Skylab. HD25-1s need recabling? I think I read that somewhere. I just had Drew recable my 81DJ's!!! I travel so much to the Pacific on long flights and I need something that is not an IEM or earbud. The HD25-1's sound like a better can for planes, right?

I have a trip to DC on Sunday, so I will see how well the 81DJ's fare.

Feb 3, 2007 at 1:42 AM Post #48 of 3,348
I've had the 25s for almost a month now and I like them more every day - and they've been getting a solid 5 hours of playtime daily (commute, lunch breaks).

Fantastic portable option (can't stand IEMs) and they sound pretty damn good too. Next stop is recable land.

Feb 3, 2007 at 1:47 AM Post #49 of 3,348
Quote:

Originally Posted by kiwirugby /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks, Skylab. HD25-1s need recabling? I think I read that somewhere. I just had Drew recable my 81DJ's!!! I travel so much to the Pacific on long flights and I need something that is not an IEM or earbud. The HD25-1's sound like a better can for planes, right?

I have a trip to DC on Sunday, so I will see how well the 81DJ's fare.

Yeah, the HD25-1's need recabling BADLY. I use the Headphile Senn V2. A great combo. It makes for the perfect travel can. I use it on shorter flights, and the E500's on longer (or REALLY noisy) ones.

Feb 3, 2007 at 1:55 AM Post #50 of 3,348
As for recabling, I prefer a shortened HD 650 cable reterminated with a 3.5mm angled plug. It's a good compromise between sound quality and flexibility although it really depends on the intended use. For daily commuting and as a throw-around headphone, flexibility is more important to me than absolute sound quality. In any case, anything is better than the HD 25-1's stock steel cable. I had Headphile's first HD 25-1 cable, which was basically a Headphile V1 HD 650 cable with a more flexible coating, but it wasn't rugged enough for my daily abuses.

And I (still) love my HD 25-1, too. It's the last headphone I'd sell even though I've already sold and rebought it three to four times by now.

Feb 3, 2007 at 2:09 AM Post #51 of 3,348
Man, I would have loved to have bought them for $119, though these will probably be my portable headphones forever (on their way from Germany now).

$210 + $13 (velour pads) + $30 (copper cable) + $30 (labor) = $303
frown.gif

Feb 3, 2007 at 4:41 PM Post #52 of 3,348
Quote:

Originally Posted by Daroid /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The HMD-25 is a headset, and comes with an attached (dynamic) mic. The HME-25 features an electret mic, and HMEC-25 has active noise cancelling ontop of this.

I just imagined walking the streets with an HMD-25 on.
eek.gif
People would be running scared.
biggrin.gif

Feb 3, 2007 at 5:33 PM Post #53 of 3,348
Wow...how the cost has spiraled upward - but the pair I have closest to std. factory issue are: std HD25-1 dbl headband with shortened copper-core HD25-13 cable, and HME elements, plus velour earpads. At aprox. the same time I put together a pair using a HD25-SP headband (because of the narrow, rounded branches of the headband you need to shape and glue into [the "box" that the headband passes thru] small blocks to keep the headband centered in it), shortened HD650 cable, and velour earpads.
HME elements are 600 ohms and mostly provide a very solid fairly impactfull bottem end (orig. obtained from one of the posters [Switzerland/Germany] above
smily_headphones1.gif
)......to do it over again I'd stick to the simpler headband - more comfortable - at the costly of a slightly geek-ier look, but more comfort, you can add one of the pre-2005 Beyer headband covers....ah..

Feb 3, 2007 at 5:52 PM Post #54 of 3,348
Quote:

Originally Posted by BushGuy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow...how the cost has spiraled upward - but the pair I have closest to std. factory issue are: std HD25-1 dbl headband with shortened copper-core HD25-13 cable, and HME elements, plus velour earpads. At aprox. the same time I put together a pair using a HD25-SP headband (because of the narrow, rounded branches of the headband you need to shape and glue into [the "box" that the headband passes thru] small blocks to keep the headband centered in it), shortened HD650 cable, and velour earpads.
HME elements are 600 ohms and mostly provide a very solid fairly impactfull bottem end (orig. obtained from one of the posters [Switzerland/Germany] above
smily_headphones1.gif
)......to do it over again I'd stick to the simpler headband - more comfortable - at the costly of a slightly geek-ier look, but more comfort, you can add one of the pre-2005 Beyer headband covers....ah..

Uhm, you are aware that this description demands a picture, right?
biggrin.gif

Feb 3, 2007 at 6:48 PM Post #55 of 3,348
A picture of ?? They'll look like any other members of the HD25 family - SP headband with this mix or components will ostensibly appear like SP and simularly pair using double or split headband will appear like 25-1..........to show blocks to center SP headband I'd have to have done a "how-to" type of post at the time........but no-one appeared to be interested when I did it last year .......

Feb 4, 2007 at 1:18 AM Post #56 of 3,348
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oliver :) /img/forum/go_quote.gif
eek.gif
biggrin.gif

Haha... it'll look like a pilot who has escaped from his job on a plane.

Btw. i need some honest opinions, since i have a hard time making my mind up, if red earpads and headband pads in this case are too feminine. It will look like:

hd25-red.jpg

It's also available in many other different colors, a wooden/brown color too.

Feb 4, 2007 at 7:51 AM Post #57 of 3,348
Funny for me that this thread should reactivate now.

I've had the HD-25 SP (made in Germany) for years (maybe 1995-97). I haven't used them much, due to also having the Senn 580. Also the sound always sounded congested to me. Then today it occurred to me to see if my stock 580 cable (replaced on the 580s by the 650 cable) would fit. Sure enough it did. Boy did this open up the sound. They became enjoyable and quite listenable. They are no longer relegated to my stratocaster/mini amp travel case.

This simple mod eased most of the congestion, yielded increased bass, greater mid-range fullness, and took the edge off some brightness in the treble. I A/B'd with the 650 cable and on quick listen, I think I prefer the 580 cable to the 650. Time allowing, I'll check this out more fully another time.

They are still slightly congested in comparison to the 580/600. Would a further cable upgrade ease this, or is this just a function of the closed design? (I am not expecting them to sound like or as good as 580/600s.) But I've needed a can to be hooked directly to my computer soundcard for listening to internet stuff, and here they are. And they definately have a Sennheiser sound signature.

Also, besides the 650 cable, are there any reasonable cable upgrades (approx $30 or so) that would make a significant SQ difference--especially with that little bit of remaining congested quality?

Just curious. I feel I've found a little gem that I didn't know I had, like found money.

Feb 4, 2007 at 12:00 PM Post #58 of 3,348
Quote:

Funny you should mention coiled cords... i was looking for new (red velour) earpads, and discovered this part:
http://www.deejayladen.com/wg/hs/Sen...arz_52911.aspx
The HMD-25 is a headset, and comes with an attached (dynamic) mic. The HME-25 features an electret mic, and HMEC-25 has active noise cancelling ontop of this.

Dariod, thanks for the cable link, they look awsome with the coiled one. BTW, I know the HMD has a mic, and that is why I want it more than only HD. Moreover HMD could be perhaps used also as a cell-phone headset - just with much better sound features of phones and mic (of course after some cable engeneering).

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oliver :) /img/forum/go_quote.gif
eek.gif
biggrin.gif

Can you tell me why? I suppose, those are much smaller than my "streetstyle" DT100s and DT770s. They just have an attached mic.

Quote:

... Btw. i need some honest opinions, since i have a hard time making my mind up, if red earpads and headband pads in this case are too feminine. ...

I am afraid, but I have to support the idea of the feminine look. E.g. look here:
http://www.cocofay.de/gallery/index....vel=album&id=5
I can imagine this color combination very well on a girl wearing black shoes, black skirt, red top and red handbag - as a fashion accesories.

Feb 4, 2007 at 1:40 PM Post #59 of 3,348
Quote:

Btw. i need some honest opinions, since i have a hard time making my mind up, if red earpads and headband pads in this case are too feminine. It will look like:

hd25-red.jpg

It's also available in many other different colors, a wooden/brown color too.

Well... it will be... flashy. A visual counterpoint to the phones overall utilitarian and industrial appearance. I guess you will just have to try and see how it looks on yourself. I know those modsets are not exactly cheap, but is there really another way? Deejayladen is nice to deal with btw..

Feb 4, 2007 at 1:50 PM Post #60 of 3,348
Quote:

Originally Posted by martinq /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can you tell me why? I suppose, those are much smaller than my "streetstyle" DT100s and DT770s. They just have an attached mic.

I think the big mic makes for a break in the "narrative" of the urban environment. A friend of mine considers getting the headset version of the AKG 271. I guess we could go out and see what happens once he does
icon10.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back