hd25-1 impressions thread
Feb 26, 2006 at 1:06 AM Post #31 of 3,348
Quote:

Originally Posted by cheechoz
Are they good for rock music, because I love the Grado sound, and even the Koss portables for rock! So clear highs is a must!
icon10.gif

They sound very Gradoish to me with the HD580 cable. Clapton, SRV, any electric guitar work sounds great on these. I've had the SR 225 for years so I'm not just talking through my hat, I doubt there's a better closed portable around IMHO. If you want to hook up at a Starbucks sometime this week, you can listen to mine. This is dependent on a number of factors but I think I can do it.

Feb 26, 2006 at 8:59 PM Post #32 of 3,348
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spiritboxer
They sound very Gradoish to me with the HD580 cable. Clapton, SRV, any electric guitar work sounds great on these. I've had the SR 225 for years so I'm not just talking through my hat, I doubt there's a better closed portable around IMHO. If you want to hook up at a Starbucks sometime this week, you can listen to mine. This is dependent on a number of factors but I think I can do it.

Mid-80s Miles Davis sounds pretty darn good on them as well!!
tongue.gif

Feb 27, 2006 at 4:49 AM Post #36 of 3,348
Based on discussion of closed phones with saint.panda and BushGuy, I had decided to get the K271s for isolation and sound quality for an upcoming stay in the hospital. However, after further thought, I decided I'd be able to use my Senn HD580s OK in my room and wanted something more convenient than the K271s for therapy, radiology, general waiting around, etc. when I would be in noisy environments. So I went with the HD25-1 - and have been greatly impressed!

I don't have experience with a lot of phones; have been enjoying the HD580s for 11+ years and the HD650s for the last year. Grado SR60s got only occasional travel use in the past and none in the last few years after I got a small amp so I could take the HD580s on the road with me.

Part of my satisfaction is probably a contrast effect; I really wasn't expecting them to sound nearly as good as the big Senns. I guess they don't; but they come a lot closer than I woulda thunk! Very satisfying, similar tonal balance, and, unlike the Grados, they actually have a genuine headstage with classical music. Just didn't anticipate so much coming from those little sealed-up earcups!
biggrin.gif

Thanks again to saint.panda and BushGuy for our previous conversation. I'm not exactly looking forward to the eventual hospitalization but the HD-25s promise to make it more bearable.

Best,
Beau

Feb 27, 2006 at 7:57 AM Post #38 of 3,348
Quote:

Originally Posted by jnev
are the hd25's different than the hd25-1's? i haven't been able to find the 1's available anywhere...

The HD 25-1's are sometimes called HD 25's but the main thing is to not confuse them with the HD 25SP.

Feb 27, 2006 at 4:02 PM Post #39 of 3,348
Quote:

Originally Posted by jnev
are the hd25's different than the hd25-1's? i haven't been able to find the 1's available anywhere...

I was similarly confused when I first saw these phones recommended. I got mine from HeadRoom - and they're listed on their site as HD25 but are in fact HD25-1. As the previous poster said, as long as there's no SP in the model name, you should be good to go.

Feb 27, 2006 at 5:05 PM Post #40 of 3,348
there are several models based on the HD 25's, several for aviation, 1 for studio use and then there's the SP, the little brother

in short:

HD 25-1 -> the one you want, 70ohm, steel cable

HD 25 SP -> cheaper version, single headband, underrated according to their respective owners
tongue.gif

HD 25-13 -> 600ohm studio version of the HD 25-1, might work well if you have an amp. this phone comes with the OFC-cable that i use, perfect cable IMHO

HMD 25-1 / HME 25-1 -> 600ohm headset versions of the HD 25-1. if you're crazy, have an amp (and a mic-amp?) and play a lot of CounterStrike, these might be the headphones that'll make your CS-buddies love/hate you. these see a lot of use by football commentator, aviators and camera operators (if i'm not mistaken).

Feb 28, 2006 at 9:21 AM Post #42 of 3,348
Hi all. I now own my own HD25 -1's.
biggrin.gif

I like them, since I can take them with me wherever I may go, very strong and portable which was just what I needed! They seem to have a lot of good bass, and given a nice EQ, sound perfect from my iAudio and better from the rockboxed iRiver iHP-140.

Just wanted to drop in on this thread and let you all know I think I have found myself a nice portable closed headphone. I can only assume these will sound even better after some burn-in.

I'm really pleased with the HD25 -1s sound. The 'fit' is something I need to get used to (I'm used to the comfort of AT900s, but that's just while listening at home)...they clamp, but I'll get used to it after a while.

I can see why people state the HD25's are one of the best portable headphones out there. I certainly agree.
biggrin.gif

Feb 3, 2007 at 12:20 AM Post #43 of 3,348
I do not have them yet, but I alredy love them (although having at least five very good if not even perfect headphones). I purchase every year one (sometimes two) pair of headphones an for this year is my limit reached.

When I saw them in 1997 (or 1996) I knew I want them. I have had the oportunity to try them only two years ago during some Hi-Fi fair (nine years of waiting just to try them
smily_headphones1.gif
), and I was surprised and impressed with the sound. I tried them for about (only) thirty minutes (imagine the waiting crowd to try them
smily_headphones1.gif
) and listened to jazz, blues, rock, pop - the sound was everytime gorgeous.

Moreover the shape of the headband - I really like it very much. I am glad that the manufacturer do not change their entirely shape as the years go by (if I am not mistaking, they appeared for the first time in 1994 or 1995 - please correct me if I am wrong). Nevertheless, the cable could be coiled (however I think many of you will disagree, but I like coiled cords
frown.gif
)

I had many times the opportunity to buy them, but I did not. They are to me something like my unicorn (Gone in Sixty Seconds
smily_headphones1.gif
) At the time I am just sorry for having no friend who would have them, otherwise I would be at least to borrow and enjoy them for more than thirty minutes. Anyway, if (or better - when) I would purchase them, I won't purchase the modell HD25-1 but HMD25-1. I just would like to know if the HMD are connectable to the portable player (I mean the 3.5mm jack, because they deliver them with free-ends cable.

Anyway, whether HD25-1 or HMD25-1, they are (at least for me) best supraaural headphones / headset beyond all reasonable doubts. And for many of us best headphones at all.

Feb 3, 2007 at 12:45 AM Post #44 of 3,348
Martinq,

They are a design from 1995, yes. And it's still impressive that nothing has surpassed the audio quality when it comes to portability, excluding IEMs. I mean, 12 years is a LONG time.

Funny you should mention coiled cords... i was looking for new (red velour) earpads, and discovered this part:
http://www.deejayladen.com/wg/hs/Sen...arz_52911.aspx

This looks to be something sennheiser made, since the jack plug has the exact same looks as the jack on the stock cable, and the connectors look the same. Pricey, but if you want coiled, this must be it.

The HMD-25 is a headset, and comes with an attached (dynamic) mic. The HME-25 features an electret mic, and HMEC-25 has active noise cancelling ontop of this.

You'll need to solder on a 3.5mm (1/8") mini-jack on the HMD-25 to make it work, but you'll end up having nowhere to connect the mic. Also, as far as i remember, the HMD/HME/HMEC are all 600 ohm impedance, so the volume will most likely be too low on a portable player. Only the HD25-1 has a nominal impedance of 70 ohm.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back