hd25-1 impressions thread
Feb 25, 2006 at 6:19 AM Post #16 of 3,348
Portable closed headphones have to compromise between sound quality, isolation, portability, durability, efficiency and wearability.

The HD25-1 is the best compromise in this category I've come across to date. The FOTM came about perhaps because people ended up expecting the world from these phones and came away disappointed. Soundwise, these are only in the class of $200~$300 IEM's which in open headphone terms is about $80. That may disappoint the VFM guys bit it's how the $80 open phone sound is delivered into your ears and how the headphone brings together the above attributes that makes the HD25-1 almost unique.

The isolation provided is the nearest thing headphone-wise to using IEM's with foamies. It is a genuinely useful level of isolation from very high noise levels.

Durability is the other facet of the HD25. They don't look like much, but they can be tossed in a backpack, sat on, pulled, etc without overt fear of breakage. And because they're fairly compact like Grados, they can be tossed, as opposed to shoehorned, into a backpack. They're lightweight too.

They're quite efficient as well, which combined with the higher impedance makes it an ideal headphone for players which have slight (iPod 5G, Creative ZV:M, iAudio X5, etc) to pronounced (iPod < 5G, quite a number of vintage PCDP's, etc) bass fall-off with low impedance phones.

I like how (in marked contrast to an IEM) I can sweep these off my head in a fraction of a second onto my neck when I'm not using them, where they can stay until needed again. And be able to put them back on in under three seconds. The other thing you can't do with IEM's is to simply lift one cup off to hear anouncements.

Despite the clamping force needed to deliver the isolation, comfort is acceptable for short-term listening. I recently had reason to wear these for about 10 hours straight because I didn't bring an IEM with me and I REALLY needed isolation. My ears started hurting after about 4 hours. For my usual commutes of up to two hours, no problems.

Feb 25, 2006 at 12:28 PM Post #17 of 3,348
Quote:

Originally Posted by bangraman
I like how (in marked contrast to an IEM) I can sweep these off my head in a fraction of a second onto my neck when I'm not using them, where they can stay until needed again. And be able to put them back on in under three seconds. The other thing you can't do with IEM's is to simply lift one cup off to hear anouncements.

Nice sum-up bangraman. The "necking" aspect was one key in my decision to buy them. What I wanted for my portable were AKG K 271 Studios. Because they are pure sex.
very_evil_smiley.gif
So I went, put them on and found out that AKG was serious when they labelled them "Studio". They are attenuating rather then isolating if you know what I mean, and _not neckable_. I felt strangled by the cups when pulling them back.

Feb 25, 2006 at 1:42 PM Post #19 of 3,348
Quote:

Originally Posted by cheechoz
Are they good for rock music, because I love the Grado sound, and even the Koss portables for rock! So clear highs is a must!
icon10.gif

Stock, I did not like them for listening to the Smashing Pumpkins or AC/DC. They lacked sparkle.

So I defoamed them.
eek.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif

Do a search for "defoamer confession", it will tell you all.

Feb 25, 2006 at 2:21 PM Post #20 of 3,348
Agreed with everything that's been said. These are great headphones and, despite the FOTM aftermath, apparently more popular than 2 years ago when only bangraman and a few others were promoting the HD 25-1 at that time. For what it offers, the HD 25-1 is peerless.

Feb 25, 2006 at 3:00 PM Post #21 of 3,348
Quote:

The isolation provided is the nearest thing headphone-wise to using IEM's with foamies. It is a genuinely useful level of isolation from very high noise levels.

This is true, and was the key for me. It's the only sealed headphone which provided enough isolation to be useful on an Airplane. I tried HD280's and DT770's, and they were inadequate in this regard. ONLY the HD25-1 is a real alternative to IEM's on airplanes.

My basic rule of thumb now is this: less than 2 hour flights, HD25. Longer than 2 hours, IEMs.

Feb 25, 2006 at 6:51 PM Post #22 of 3,348
I recently got a pair for my closed portable needs. I like them, though still haven't got extensive experience.

But aren't they butt-ugly and geeky as ever?

Feb 25, 2006 at 8:04 PM Post #24 of 3,348
Quote:

Originally Posted by rauer
I recently got a pair for my closed portable needs. I like them, though still haven't got extensive experience.

naaa..
I' like them the way they look and wear

Feb 25, 2006 at 8:14 PM Post #25 of 3,348
Quote:

Well, I caught my reflection in the mirror with my 501s on and I'll tell you, *that* was as geeky a sight as I've ever seen!
tongue.gif
Seriously, the HD 25s look positively sleek next to a lot of cans.

Feb 25, 2006 at 8:15 PM Post #26 of 3,348
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mastergill
That's another gem from Sennheiser that's somewhat underrated on Head-Fi.

They don't seem to be widely available outside Europe, which may be one reason. In particular the HD25-1... where the heck do you buy this specific model anyway?
confused.gif
I googled for it and found nothing.

Edit -- found at meier audio for $210, wow... a little bit pricey. They'd certainly better be the best portable headphone at that price.

Feb 25, 2006 at 8:24 PM Post #27 of 3,348
The headsquash is the only thing with them for me. They positively flatten my ears but they sound great. I'm tempted to try the hairdryer trick but worried about opening them up too far and then affecting the quality of the bass.

Ian

Feb 25, 2006 at 8:29 PM Post #28 of 3,348
I'd buy these in a flash if I needed some portable closed headphones. Should have got them instead of my PX200s, too much of a step down from my A900s + HD580s.

Feb 25, 2006 at 9:23 PM Post #29 of 3,348
Quote:

Originally Posted by cheechoz
Are they good for rock music, because I love the Grado sound, and even the Koss portables for rock! So clear highs is a must!
icon10.gif

i don't listen to rock quite as much as i listen to metal, but they do rock for metal
biggrin.gif

the somewhat recessed mids, hard hitting bass and somewhat bright upper highs make them (at least to my ears) a joy to listen to when the going gets tough and the doublebass gets going
biggrin.gif

Feb 25, 2006 at 9:25 PM Post #30 of 3,348
Quote:

i don't think they're ugly, and if you have (semi)long dark hear, they blend in very nicely

ofcourse, that isn't going to help me
eggosmile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back