hd25-1 impressions thread
Mar 1, 2007 at 12:54 AM Post #76 of 3,348
The way I loosened the headband was to extend the cups one notch beyond what I wanted it to be at, stretching them over an EE textbook and let it sit for a night or two.When I came back, the extended setting was too loose, but when I readjusted to the correct setting, it was just right. The clamping force was pretty ridiculous before...

You do lose a bit of isolation though.

Mar 1, 2007 at 12:53 PM Post #77 of 3,348
Yes, the headband can be made to fit looser with the aid of the good ol' hairdryer. But, there is some memory to the plastic ......so if you don't use them regularly (meaning daily), they will return aprox. to their orig. fit.

Mar 1, 2007 at 3:07 PM Post #78 of 3,348
Quote:

Originally Posted by gtp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I tried out some HD25-1 a while back. Liked the sound but they HURT after a short time (~15 minutes). Can the headband be bent for comfort like Grados?

You can prolly stretch them out some. My MDR-7506's were a bit tight at first. I put them on my computer case for awhile and now they are perfect
580smile.gif

Mar 1, 2007 at 10:18 PM Post #79 of 3,348
Do these things benefit from burn-in?

I tried some in the store today, and I was thoroughly impressed, though I felt that the bass was a little overpowering, and the highs were a bit lacking.

They were a lot easier to drive by an Mp3 player too than I had expected. I'm seriously on the fence whether to buy them or not, I can get them for 160,-.

Mar 2, 2007 at 2:39 AM Post #81 of 3,348
Quote:

Originally Posted by pinkfloyd4ever /img/forum/go_quote.gif
DAMMIT!
mad.gif
of course, the SP at $99 is in my pricerange, the 1, at $200 is def not. The SP really sounds that much worse, even amped?

this really has been on my mind. i mean i don't have a good portable amp, only a pa2v2. if i'm going to pay 200 dollars. will a hd25-sp + a c&c box better or a hp25-1 + pa2v2 better? i'm leaning to hd25-sp + a c&c box but i'm still not sure.

Mar 2, 2007 at 10:46 PM Post #82 of 3,348
Quote:

Originally Posted by 2ndbest /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do these things benefit from burn-in?

I tried some in the store today, and I was thoroughly impressed, though I felt that the bass was a little overpowering, and the highs were a bit lacking.

They were a lot easier to drive by an Mp3 player too than I had expected. I'm seriously on the fence whether to buy them or not, I can get them for 160,-.

Time to revise my opinion, I had a more extensive listen today (with my own music, and my own mp3 player) and I thoroughly enjoyed, I was amazed at how many noise they blocked out, a colleague was standing right next to me and talking to me and I couldn't hear a word he said.

I'm probably buying them tomorrow.

Also, I think I've read it a few times that the HD25-1 have a somewhat Gradoish sound, is that true? Because if so, I'll definitely have to check those out as well.

Mar 2, 2007 at 11:06 PM Post #83 of 3,348
Quote:

Originally Posted by 2ndbest /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Also, I think I've read it a few times that the HD25-1 have a somewhat Gradoish sound, is that true? Because if so, I'll definitely have to check those out as well.

From my perspective, I'd agree. I'm an unabashed Grado lover, and the HD25 is the only Senn (I've heard) that I've really enjoyed. Very punchy and a little bright.

Not quite a Grado though. There is no substitute!
very_evil_smiley.gif

Mar 4, 2007 at 4:29 PM Post #84 of 3,348
Quote:

Originally Posted by bonethugz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
this really has been on my mind. i mean i don't have a good portable amp, only a pa2v2. if i'm going to pay 200 dollars. will a hd25-sp + a c&c box better or a hp25-1 + pa2v2 better? i'm leaning to hd25-sp + a c&c box but i'm still not sure.

I'd go with the better headphones, personally.

Mar 4, 2007 at 6:34 PM Post #86 of 3,348
Can you reasonably use the hd-25 in the gym, running, wear them around walking around town without looking like a complete idiot, etc?

For reference: I've used the PX100s in the gym and running with no big problems so I know I can use lighter headphones for those purposes, I just wonder if the extra weight and larger size of the 25's will be a problem for those activies?

Thank you!

Mar 4, 2007 at 6:42 PM Post #87 of 3,348
Quote:

Can you reasonably use the hd-25 in the gym, running, wear them around walking around town without looking like a complete idiot, etc?

Well, they're obviously larger than the PX100s, but much smaller and lighter than regular full-size phones.

If you're self-conscious of how you look in phones in public, though, it's up to you to decide whether you look like an idiot with them.

That said, my estimation would be that you could wear them fine on a treadmill, might look a little odd walking about town, and wouldn't want them on at all while jogging.

FWIW.

Mar 5, 2007 at 12:27 PM Post #88 of 3,348
Quote:

Originally Posted by stereophile /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can you reasonably use the hd-25 in the gym, running, wear them around walking around town without looking like a complete idiot, etc?...

Sure you won't look like an idiot. Rather like an audiophile or DJ. BTW, in my eyes they are pretty small (compared to my DT100
icon10.gif
).

Mar 12, 2007 at 6:06 PM Post #89 of 3,348
I just got HD25-1s from B&H for no other reason than just unquenchable curiosity. After buying UM2s there really was no reason to get these but I bought them anyway. Sheesh.

Initial impression is there's a BIG low end--*maybe* too big, we'll see as they burn in--and bright across the rest of the spectrum. Although I very recently sold my K81DJ to help offset my UM2 purchase, and can't do an actual A/B head-to-head with them--the HD25-1 do sound brighter and more refined than my memory of the K81DJ. It will be interesting to see if I wind up finding the HD25-1 fatiguing as I do with Grados--they're quite bright and up front which is something I like very much but am not always able to take with my oversensitive ears. Time will tell on that. I would not say they have a Grado signature if SR60 and HF-1 (the only Grados I've heard) are any indication. These have WAY more bass than those Grados, and Grados start fatiguing my ears after 10-15 minutes which so far these do not.

The headphones are also MUCH smaller and lighter than expected. When I received the ship box, I actually wondered if I'd received an empty box (something that happens frequently with Sennheiser--and already to me once with HD650s). Of additional note, the Sennheiser box they came in was extremely flimsy though and the headphones did not arrive in plastic of any sort--I still wonder if I received a return or something. Nevertheless the headphones look *mint* and the cable looked machine-wound and tied so I guess I'm unsure.

As far as future recommendations to others go I still think it's hard to actually justify spending the $100 more for these over K81DJ from a value perspective, as I think they do have the same basic sound signature--big bass, etc.--but to say they're a notch better than K81DJ seems accurate. Although the bass is big they don't have the more artificial sounding "loudness on" signature that the K81DJ seems to have. I think they appear more comfortable to me than K81DJ so far but we'll see over weeks and months if I still feel that's the case. The value of the K81DJ is still hard to beat though if budget is a consideration--but if you use portable headphones a lot though you tend to want to spend whatever is necessary to get the best sound possible which I guess is why I bit the bullet and purchased them myself.

In any case, I am not disappointed. Will just have to soak them in over time and see if they maintain a permanent place in my collection. HD25-1 + UM2 seems to be portable overkill but at the moment I feel I'm keeping both. Mo money, mo money...

Mar 12, 2007 at 6:31 PM Post #90 of 3,348
Actually--I do have a question--are *both* earpieces supposed to swivel? Mine only do on one side. It seems I could loosen the screw but I didn't want to force it if only one side is supposed to move. The manual is unclear about this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back