hd25-1 impressions thread
Jun 1, 2014 at 9:44 AM Post #2,371 of 3,348
The only thing thay seems unusual is the lack of the made in ireland or germany print. But in terms of sound i already asked a guy who used hundreds of hd25s and he told me they are exactly the same. Also i believe roma101 tested both as well and told me they are exactly the same.

Jun 1, 2014 at 9:45 AM Post #2,372 of 3,348
The only thing thay seems unusual is the lack of the made in ireland or germany print. But in terms of sound i already asked a guy who used hundreds of hd25s and he told me they are exactly the same. Also i believe roma101 tested both as well and told me they are exactly the same.

Yes, I believe the same.

Cheers,
K

Jun 1, 2014 at 5:41 PM Post #2,374 of 3,348
like the HD25 Aluminum?

Jun 2, 2014 at 12:38 AM Post #2,375 of 3,348
  Has anyone tried replacing the earcups with the amperior ear cups? I wonder how that sounds.

Like the Amperior, surely.  Just adding Akasa Paxmate Plus foam to the cups already gets HD25 sounding closer to the Amperior, then those heavier Amperior cups should finish making HD25 sound just like it.

Jun 8, 2014 at 6:50 AM Post #2,376 of 3,348
No
They would sound like the Aluminium ie still 70 ohms but with the alloy caps, just add the nice new pads to complete.

Jun 10, 2014 at 1:59 PM Post #2,377 of 3,348

I remember reading somewhere that if you purchase that headband part from Sennheiser it will not say made in Ireland on it.

Jun 13, 2014 at 4:30 PM Post #2,378 of 3,348
Add me to the list of the happy HD25 owners. I found a used pair of HD25-13 II this afternoon for 89€ and took them immediately for a few hours of metro commuting. Isolation is surprisingly good and so is the sound. I'd have to get my hands on a pair of HD25-1 to compare directly but these seem to be a bit smoother in the highs.

Even at 600R, these are efficient enough to be driven directly by a smartphone to more than reasonnable levels.

So... perfect portable cans to me.

Jul 22, 2014 at 7:52 AM Post #2,381 of 3,348
I've been all through the headphone world and few cans have ever done it for me the way the HD25 does...

I've had 2 really expensive cables at different times and didn't like either one of them, especially considering the price. But the HD 650 cable is definitely a worthy upgrade IMO...

Here are my two pair. One cable is 36" and reaches exactly to the bottom of my jeans pocket. The other is only 16" and lets my Shuffle hang like a weightless pendant. The other 6' of that cable got a 1/8" female on it to serve as plugin extension to my GS-1 + MAC, a great setup. I occasionally use my portable amp but really, it's not necessary.

And with the velour pads you're looking at the greatest set of cold-weather dog walkers ever...

Just great headphones and IMO these should be part of any serious canhead's kit.

hd25x2.jpg

-Jim aka 251

Hello, i really love this cable mod. If i understand good its stock hd650 cable (this one) Can you please tell me the brand of jack you are using? I like them more than metal Neutrik

Thanks a lot Filip (love this hd25 ,)

Jul 22, 2014 at 1:47 PM Post #2,382 of 3,348
Probably Switchcraft 35HD plugs. Neutriks would have to be dremelled a lot for the 650 cable to barely fit, but I would prefer Switchcrafts in the first place. More durable and less hassle.

Jul 24, 2014 at 12:03 PM Post #2,384 of 3,348
The plugs are Neutriks, chosen because they're smaller. As far as durability goes, both of those cans and cables still see almost daily use, years later. (iPhone 3G dates the pic...)  I had a second set of these cables made, as backup, but have never needed them...  Still great cans, no matter what has come along since.

-Jim aka 251

Jul 24, 2014 at 2:27 PM Post #2,385 of 3,348
Don't the plugs going into headphone ever come loose with this reversed cup arrangement ? Also is any small (?) improvement in sound worth the inconvenience of having dual cable entry with vulnerable looking connections.

Even on my HD25s which have the standard single sided cable the right hand (red) plug sometimes works loose resulting in loss of sound. Its the only single thing that spoils these headphones for me. I wish I knew of a permanent cure for this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back