[GUIDE] Sonic Differences Between DT770-DT990 Models & More
Aug 4, 2012 at 3:42 PM Post #961 of 1,845
Quote:
Thanks a lot Zombie_x for the writing. Probably helped hundreds with what Bayerns to get.
I'm likely to buy DT990 Pro's very soon (paired with Xonar Essence ST), but before that how is the mid bass on them?
In comparison i did not find pretty much no mid bass at all on my HD598. Music i listen to (acid jazz and funk) to me is much driven by the mid bass, rather than deep bass.

The Dt770 Pros do have more bass then the HD598s (I'm a HD558 & DT770 owner).
I like to think of the DT770s as "full" bass headphones, not sure I know the different between mid bass and deep bass.

Aug 4, 2012 at 8:17 PM Post #962 of 1,845
Hi,

The DT990 has a good amount of midbass to it. More than the DT880 and DT770 (Premium models). It's not massive like the D2000 but I say it's "enough". 

Quote:
Thanks a lot Zombie_x for the writing. Probably helped hundreds with what Bayerns to get.
I'm likely to buy DT990 Pro's very soon (paired with Xonar Essence ST), but before that how is the mid bass on them?
In comparison i did not find pretty much no mid bass at all on my HD598. Music i listen to (acid jazz and funk) to me is much driven by the mid bass, rather than deep bass.

Aug 5, 2012 at 2:13 AM Post #963 of 1,845
Nice review. but why didn't you do a amping section for the 80 ohm Dt's?

Also you should add a summary section. so its like, "If your looking for great bass but at a sacrifice of some treble you should go for the 770's", something like that would be great because all that information and comparing is a little confusing.

anyway, so i shouldn't get the DT 880's if the only amp i have is the Fiio E6 because it won't be powerful enough?

Aug 5, 2012 at 9:04 AM Post #964 of 1,845
Quote:

strong. unexpectedely strong for an open heads. Its really the highs you should watch out since it may distract some music 

Aug 5, 2012 at 9:17 AM Post #965 of 1,845
Considering I have 2 decent closed headphones (Audio Technica D40fs and the beautiful Ultrasone Pro 900), I'd probably end up getting a pair of 880 or 990 to hear what open is all about. But how will I decide which of the two?

Aug 5, 2012 at 11:45 AM Post #966 of 1,845
strong. unexpectedely strong for an open heads. Its really the highs you should watch out since it may distract some music 

Sounds perfect. I doubt i will be bothered with the highs as that's one of the characteristic i'm looking from headphones. I have heard they are indeed piercing sharp, but that's to be seen when i get them. :)

Aug 5, 2012 at 1:32 PM Post #967 of 1,845
Cool nice thread was looking for some more stuff on Beyerdynamics... And I know the question I am about to ask is most likely somewhere in the 65 pages of this thread but, frankly that is way too much reading haha...

My question was I was about to buy the DT770 Pro 80 ohm and these will be used for my computer and my iPod Touch and I was curious what should I use to power these... And the amp has to be portable too since I will mostly be using these at home but, those long plane flights and car drives I would like to use my phones as well... Thanks for all the help in advance!

Aug 6, 2012 at 7:37 PM Post #968 of 1,845
The replacement ear pads I ordered for my DT880 come with a 2 tone gray and black foam disks and my stock DT880 foam disks are all black a little thinner.
Does it matter much (audio quality wise) to keep using the stock foam disks for should I just use the newer (slightly thinker) two tone foam pads?

Aug 7, 2012 at 1:23 AM Post #970 of 1,845
Quote:
Hi,

The DT990 has a good amount of midbass to it. More than the DT880 and DT770 (Premium models). It's not massive like the D2000 but I say it's "enough". 

I know you're an expert in Beyerdynamic DT series.
L3000.gif

Can you advise which is the best model to go for if I want a good detail separation, wider sound stage, good mids, very smooth treble and with good punchy, tight & deep bass (not boom boom boom)?

The music  to be played on this headphone such as pop, dance, trance, new wave, synth, rock (bass).

Aug 7, 2012 at 1:24 AM Post #971 of 1,845
Quote:
L3000.gif

Can you advise which is the best model to go for if I want a good detail separation, wider sound stage, good mids, very smooth treble and with good punchy, tight & deep bass (not boom boom boom)?

The music  to be played on this headphone such as pop, dance, trance, new wave, synth, rock (bass).

How about a Beyerdynamic T70 or T70p.

Aug 7, 2012 at 1:36 AM Post #972 of 1,845
Hi,

I think the T70 is a good option. It's treble is smoother than the DT770 but is still "there" if you know what I mean. It has good mids and really tight bass. The soundstage is also better than that of the DT880, but not the DT990.

As for your previous post, my views have changed on several models and I will update the thread accordingly. One view is of the DT770 PRO 80Ohm. As of right now it's late at night and I am really tired, so I will update it tomorrow. I do appreciate your comments on my reviews, look out for my DT1350 review coming soon :wink:

Quote:
L3000.gif

Aug 7, 2012 at 12:23 PM Post #973 of 1,845
Quote:
L3000.gif

I would go DT990.

Aug 7, 2012 at 1:16 PM Post #974 of 1,845
Hi, 
Can someone enlighten me on the differences in these two graphs, between 250 and 600ohm?
These two almost swap in the lows.

http://en.goldenears.net/en/files/attach/images/254/302/011/e2b410b13ce86acea9af8a56bc1bb732.png
http://graphs.headphone.com/graphCompare.php?graphType=0&graphID[]=723&graphID[]=2751&graphID[]=953

Thank you.

Aug 7, 2012 at 1:23 PM Post #975 of 1,845
Quote:
Hi, 
Can someone enlighten me on the differences in these two graphs, between 250 and 600ohm?
These two almost swap in the lows.

http://en.goldenears.net/en/files/attach/images/254/302/011/e2b410b13ce86acea9af8a56bc1bb732.png
http://graphs.headphone.com/graphCompare.php?graphType=0&graphID[]=723&graphID[]=2751&graphID[]=953

Thank you.

They actually look very similar considering that these are two different graphs from different people who are bound to have somewhat different methodologies and equipment for testing. Driver variances are likely another reason for the slight differences. I assume you're trying to decide on the 250 ohm vs. 600 ohm based on which one has the stronger (or weaker) bass? My advice would be to buy the one that you can most adequately power as they will probably be quite similar in bass response.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back