[GUIDE] Sonic Differences Between DT770-DT990 Models & More
Nov 29, 2019 at 2:31 AM Post #1,831 of 1,845
Is the JDS Labs Atom amp sufficient power for 600-Ohm models?
The JDS Atom or Schiit Magni 3 will drive 600-Ohm Beyer headphones.
Do you already own the 600-Ohm beyerdynamic DT990 headphones?

Nov 30, 2019 at 10:14 PM Post #1,832 of 1,845
The JDS Atom or Schiit Magni 3 will drive 600-Ohm Beyer headphones.
Do you already own the 600-Ohm beyerdynamic DT990 headphones?

I do, shopping for an amp.

I actually did a little more research and Beyer's website says the 600 ohm model takes up to 100 mW of power, while the Atom outputs up to 125 mW at 600 ohm so it looks like the Atom can power it just fine.

Jun 27, 2020 at 8:12 PM Post #1,834 of 1,845
I got the Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 80 ohm. It is not for me. Right off the bat, I was not impressed with sound quality. So I figured I will listen to it for couple days to decide. It is not expensive, so I thought it can be good value and backup headphones. After 2 days, I dislike the sound quality. And I have headache from the clamping force and ringing in my ears after listening to to the headphones. Returned.

I was debating between 32 ohm and 80 ohm version. I went with 80 ohm version as I thought it will provide the most dynamic and enjoyable sound. And also the velour ear pads. On the other hand, I was concerned with getting enough volume on 80 ohm.

It turned out as non-issue. On my iPhone XS Max, I'm can reach my max level at 60-70% volume. And sound seems to be slightly better on iPhone. On my MacBookPro, I also have no issue with sound level, Again, at around 70% volume, I can reach my max level. I also have an amp. So I can go 50% on MBP and 60% on amp, I'm at very loud sound level.

Lows: Headphone is definitely bass heavy. And it is not very good bass. It is not horribly muddy, but it is also not tight. I just don't hear or feel the punch of the bass.

Mids: Vocal is a recess and thin. In some music (e.g. John Legend, Alicia Keys, Lauren Daigle in You Say), vocals sound fine. But in other tracks (e.g. Ingrid Michaelson, Natalie Merchant from 10,000 Maniacs), vocals sound extremely recessed and thin, either due to recording or just higher voices.

Highs: Highs are ok, but it doesn't have that sparkle. From what I read, I was expecting good highs, but I find the highs lacking, especially compared to heavy bass.

In summary, I find the sound dark and dull, as the bass dominates. So I dislike 80 ohm. I don't believe the minor difference with 32 ohm will change my mind.

Separation of instruments: Poor. Various instruments just got lost and muddled together.

Sound Stage: DT770 has wide-ish sound stage, probably aided by V-shaped sound profile. I'm good with DT770 sound stage, but just not at the expense of weak mids (recess vocals).

Comfort: Velour ear pads are super comfortable, so no issues on my ears, particularly with me wearing eyeglasses. But there is strong clamping force. So after 1-2 hours, my upper jaw and temple are uncomfortable and I have a slight headache. I suspect the metal headband can be stretched and will loosen over time.

Last edited:
Jun 28, 2020 at 2:07 PM Post #1,836 of 1,845
I got the Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 80 ohm. It is not for me. Right off the bat, I was not impressed with sound quality. So I figured I will listen to it for couple days to decide. It is not expensive, so I thought it can be good value and backup headphones. After 2 days, I dislike the sound quality. And I have headache from the clamping force and ringing in my ears after listening to to the headphones. Returned.
I was debating between 32 ohm and 80 ohm version. I went with 80 ohm version as I thought it will provide the most dynamic and enjoyable sound. And also the velour ear pads.
On the other hand, I was concerned with getting enough volume on 80 ohm. It turned out as non-issue. On my iPhone XS Max, I'm can reach my max level at 60-70% volume. And sound seems to be slightly better on iPhone. On my MacBook Pro, I also have no issue with sound level, Again, at around 70% volume, I can reach my max level. I also have an amp. So I can go 50% on MBP and 60% on amp, I'm at very loud sound level.
Lows: Headphone is definitely bass heavy. And it is not very good bass. It is not horribly muddy, but it is also not tight. I just don't hear or feel the punch of the bass.
Mids: Vocal is a recess and thin. In some music (e.g. John Legend, Alicia Keys, Lauren Daigle in You Say), vocals sound fine. But in other tracks (e.g. Ingrid Michaelson, Natalie Merchant from 10,000 Maniacs), vocals sound extremely recessed and thin, either due to recording or just higher voices.
Highs: Highs are ok, but it doesn't have that sparkle. From what I read, I was expecting good highs, but I find the highs lacking, especially compared to heavy bass.
In summary, I find the sound dark and dull, as the bass dominates. So I dislike 80 ohm. I don't believe the minor difference with 32 ohm will change my mind.
Separate of instruments: Poor. Various instruments just got lost and muddled together.
Sound Stage: DT770 has wide-ish sound stage, probably because of U or V-shaped sound profile. I'm good with DT770 sound stage, but just not at the expense of weak mids (recess vocals).
Comfort: Velour ear pads are super comfortable, so no issues on my ears, particularly with me wearing eyeglasses. But there is strong clamping force. So after 1-2 hours, my upper jaw and temple are uncomfortable and I have a slight headache.
Soundmagic HP151 closed headphones (32-Ohm), like an improved DT770.

Jul 6, 2020 at 4:18 PM Post #1,837 of 1,845
I'm glad I found this thread since there's so many conflicting info in the net about all 3 variants

Can someone please help me and confirm that i'm choosing correctly ?
My Takstat Hi2050 died in unfortunate accident so I'm now looking for replacement and can drop bit more cash this time.

I like neutral sounding headphones with good voice separation and good sound positioning for video games (as I understand that means big scene) that also work nicely with vocals and rock music - something like Evanescence or Within Temptation. Not a bass head.

If I understand op correctly DT880 250 Ohm variant would be best for this criteria ?
I've got MSI X570 mainboard with ALC1220+ Sabre DAC as source, occasionally could be used with PS4/Switch/Vita/Mobile

Aug 1, 2020 at 11:41 PM Post #1,840 of 1,845
So is there actually anything to the term "semi-open" Beyer uses for the DT880 or is it basically open?
It's basically open, but less so than the DT990 which has a more V-shaped response.

Aug 19, 2020 at 10:19 AM Post #1,843 of 1,845
DT 990 Pro vs DT 990 Premium headphones which to buy?

Hey folks
I need a good advice.
I have to choice between Dt 990 Pro 250 ohms or the premium 250 ohms ??. Not sure which to go for.I gonna get a Azuentech soundcard to.
Seeing the forums seems like Dt990 premium is better than Pro. But is it really "Better" ?

the dt990 pro 250 ohm have better bass , better mids and clear sound from DT 990 250 ohm Premium is is true??

So people what's your choice?

Aug 21, 2022 at 7:17 AM Post #1,845 of 1,845
My hint was the older chassis on this one. They are definitely NOT a warm headphone, right on the cusp of being too bright, but nowhere near as painful as the 250 ohm version that I've owned before. I cleaned these up a bit after buying it used and immediately ordered new EDT770Vs. Good as new. This one is about 10 years old, so 2009ish according to the original owner, for reference.

IMG_20191024_215734.jpg
Sorry to dig up and old thread. I saw a local set of DT 990 for a really cheap price and the headband and text look exactly like this! So I was trying to figure out the age of it. Apparently the guy selling use to work at the local Beyerdynamic here in my country

Users who are viewing this thread

Back