[GUIDE] Sonic Differences Between DT770-DT990 Models & More
Aug 9, 2012 at 9:14 AM Post #992 of 1,845
Quote:
About DT990 Premium Series, there are 3 types of impedence:

DT 990 Premium 250 Ohm ($378)
DT 990 Premium 600 Ohm ($295)
DT 990 Premium 32 Ohm ($300)

May I know which is the better one in term of quality bass, sounds stage, detail, separation, mids and trebles?

Go read first pages if not done yet , many answers are their , the 3 types of impedance are described by Zombie_X , he done an excellent djob so let's use it
redface.gif

"The 600Ohm model is the definitive version of the DT990"  (from first page 
tongue.gif
) .

I think it's enough clear . 
wink.gif

Aug 9, 2012 at 9:43 AM Post #993 of 1,845
Quote:

Go read first pages if not done yet , many answers are their , the 3 types of impedance are described by Zombie_X , he done an excellent djob so let's use it
redface.gif

"The 600Ohm model is the definitive version of the DT990"  (from first page 
tongue.gif
) .

I think it's enough clear . 
wink.gif

Yes I had read. However the review was done almost 2 years ago. 
Within these 2 years Beyerdynamic might change some internal components in the DT900 Premium series that might alter the original sound.
I know Zombie-X always keep-up with the latest  DT900 Premium series.
beyersmile.png

Aug 9, 2012 at 5:48 PM Post #994 of 1,845
Quote:
About DT990 Premium Series, there are 3 types of impedence:

DT 990 Premium 250 Ohm ($378)
DT 990 Premium 600 Ohm ($295)
DT 990 Premium 32 Ohm ($300)

May I know which is the better one in term of quality bass, sounds stage, detail, separation, mids and trebles?

Hi,
Did you read page one of this thread?   Just tryin' to help.   The Zombie (The X Man) posted TONS of great info there.
redface.gif

Aug 14, 2012 at 5:07 PM Post #995 of 1,845
Has anyone heard the DT-770 Pro 32 ohm Limited Edition version?

Not sure if it really sounds any different, but it looks like it comes with pleather pads.

The DT-880 and DT-990 is extremely UNcomfortable to me, but the DT-770 Pro 80 is the most comfortable headphone there is (deeper cups).

I don't think this 32ohm version got a US release. It's on Amazon's german website, but costs around $250USD.

I saw a review on some russian website and it scored way higher than the 80 ohm version.

Nearly a perfect score I think...and they're reviewed maybe hundreds of headphones.

http://doctorhead.ru/catalogue/?i=2399

Aug 14, 2012 at 5:17 PM Post #996 of 1,845
Quote:
Has anyone heard the DT-770 Pro 32 ohm Limited Edition version?

Not sure if it really sounds any different, but it looks like it comes with pleather pads.

The DT-880 and DT-990 is extremely UNcomfortable to me, but the DT-770 Pro 80 is the most comfortable headphone there is (deeper cups).

I don't think this 32ohm version got a US release. It's on Amazon's german website, but costs around $250USD.

I saw a review on some russian website and it scored way higher than the 80 ohm version.

Nearly a perfect score I think...and they're reviewed maybe hundreds of headphones.

http://doctorhead.ru/catalogue/?i=2399

I think it's better to buy the DT770 Pro 250-Ohm version, it's cheaper then the 32-ohm version, which leaves extra cash for buying a good amplifier.

Aug 14, 2012 at 6:01 PM Post #997 of 1,845
Quote:
I think it's better to buy the DT770 Pro 250-Ohm version, it's cheaper then the 32-ohm version, which leaves extra cash for buying a good amplifier.

The DT-770 Pro LE was avaliable for 164€ at thomann.de but increased to 194 € recently 
frown.gif

but i Still  thinking to get one for the "limited edition " box etc 
biggrin.gif
, and i don't think that tdockweiler needs an amp 
wink.gif

Aug 14, 2012 at 6:25 PM Post #998 of 1,845
Quote:

The DT-770 Pro LE was avaliable for 164€ at thomann.de but increased to 194 € recently 
frown.gif

but i Still  thinking to get one for the "limited edition " box etc 
biggrin.gif
, and i don't think that tdockweiler needs an amp 
wink.gif

The 32-Ohm version is even harder to drive then the 250-Ohm version.
So chances are he is going to be buying an amplifier anyway.

Aug 14, 2012 at 6:47 PM Post #999 of 1,845
Quote:
The 32-Ohm version is even harder to drive then the 250-Ohm version.
So chances are he is going to be buying an amplifier anyway.

Seeing tdockweiler amp list i though he had enough to drive any version of DT-770 ^^ , but who knows peraphs he's thinking to get an amp for DT-770 ? 

Aug 14, 2012 at 8:08 PM Post #1,000 of 1,845
Yo,

The 32Ohm models are hard to amp for sure but I might have to revise the thread a bit. I got a chance to try out the 32Ohm DT880 recently and it was not as hard to amp as I remember. I would say the 32Ohm models are about as hard to amp as the 80Ohm DT770. Granted all I had this run was the 32Ohm DT880, so I would think the 32Ohm DT990 would be easier to amp.

I'll get on revising the thread in a bit.

Aug 14, 2012 at 9:18 PM Post #1,001 of 1,845
Where did all this tdockweiler needs an amp talk come from
confused_face_2.gif
biggrin.gif

I always wanted to buy the DT-770 Pro 80 again, but this one might be worthwhile. I wouldn't be buying it just because it's 32 ohm.
I don't like how any of the 32 ohm Beyers sound without an amp. I agree with Zombie_X that they're really not any easier to drive.

My Headroom Micro amp can drive most everything I could ever want. It drives the 600ohm DT-770 with ease. Had to get that out of the way. I think the DT-770 600ohm is one of the best headphones i've heard with this amp.
I had a goofy version that was actually very neutral. Weird.

I think i've tried all the DT-770, 880 and 990 models so far. Wait...not the DT-990 600 ohm. It's too bad I can't remember which version of the DT-990 I had back in 2006-2007. Think it was the 250 ohm version.
I actually used that and the K701 for 3 years straight. Hard to believe..

BTW I actually think my favorite is the DT-880 32 ohm. Somehow I can't adapt to it's pads and it's design. It's a long story or else I would have kept them.

NOTE: not interested in any other models. Just wondering if anyone has heard the 32 ohm PRO version. Wonder why it didn't get a US release..or did it?

Aug 15, 2012 at 11:20 AM Post #1,002 of 1,845
First of all, hello all head-fiers. I have been reading this forum for a long time and decided to register and write here because i didn't find an answer to my a bit different questions (in my opinion). I am choosing the headphones too. (This post will cover all of my little experience with more headphones, but it is mainly about dt 880 and dt 990 so i think i am writting in proper thread.) I have listened to hd600, hd650, dt 880 pro and dt 990 premium 250ohm. I didn't had time to listen to all of those headphones for long though. Probably the main problem which makes my decision even harded is that i like to listen to a lot of different music genres, pretty much everything (hip hop, house, pop, rnb, classical music, jazz, reaggae, dnb, music with vocals and much more). And on top of that my new headphones need to be suitable for watching movies (good for effects). I would say my "headphones time" is kind of divided into two pieces - 50% of music and 50% of watching movies, this is now with my current very old hd201 (don't laugh at me :D, i am really new, but i have found myself to be deeply stuck into this audiophile thing after i listened to those headphones that i stated in the beginning, i just can't listen to my hd201 anymore).

So let's begin my little story. I have firstly read that dt990 and hd650 are good headphones so i found a local dealer which had them both and tried to compare them to see which one i will like better. At that day my impressions about hd650 was very big, it sounded nice, warm and relaxed and then dt990 250ohm premiums appeared like very different, but very interesting to listen to, i didn't find the treble so harsh like most people say, but it sounded like just a bit too much (i think not a very big problem, because it sounds really nice, gives the sound more color and air to it). That first time hd650 appeared to me like it is really my sort of headphone (BUT that first time i think i haven't listened those both headphones "properly" because of what you will read next. The other day i went to other dealer which had dt880 250ohm pro's, hd600 and hd650 and then was the time when things went totally upside down, the hd650 compared to dt880 pro's sounded so dark and not as lively as dt880 pro's, the hd650 bass seemed to be not that natural, less textured and less deep, vocals seemed to have too much lower frequency and was a bit louder what i didn't liked, the high's appeared a bit too low in response also. dt880 pro's also looked like they have really nice soundstage, everything sounded really balanced and so lively (for example Frank Sinatra's "The Way You Look Tonight" was so "live" like he would sing in front of me with all those great sounding instruments). So now my mind is just on the dt880 pro's or maybe dt880 premium which i haven't listened to (there aren't any in my local region, so if i would decide to get them, i will have to buy from ebay or elsewhere) and dt990 premiums (because i really forgot how those sounded, because it was first good headphone that i listened to and i just didn't had that understanding that i have now). By the way, i forgot HD600 which appeared to be more lively than hd650, really balanced like dt880 pro's, but then there was like too less bass or it just sounded not that "right" and deep like dt880 pro's and still the dt880 pro's sounded more lively with better soundstage. I just don't want to fight with people who like sennheiser more, you should know that all of these impressions and sound preferences are just my personal.

Now i think you should have "made a picture" what i really like in headphones so i think it will be more easy to help me. I could just go and pick those dt880 pro's that i really liked so much, but i think that i would like the bigger soundstage the dt880 premiums will provide, but as i said i have read a lot about the dt880 premium and dt880 pro differences and haven't found any exact or should i say precise descriptions in the sound difference, and if there really aren't any big differences, then i would be concerned about the amount of bass in dt880 premium which i find in dt880 pro's to be just right (though i wouldn't be mad for having a bit more). Could just someone who have listened to both of these headhones write the exact differences if any and compare the amount of bass between them? Now that i don't know the exact answer of this question, let's presume that they sound very similar and the pro version only has more bass, then if i like that bass of the pro version and wouldn't mind to get a little bit of more treble, should i look again into those dt990's? I think it would be nice to have that bigger soundstage and a bit more bass than the dt880 pro for movie effects, but then the concern would be if the dt990 premium's mids are just as nice as dt880 pro's and there are just a bit more bass and treble (comparing to dt880 premium's - a lot more bass and a bit more treble, assuming that dt880 premium and dt880 pro difference is only bass amount) or are they really so badly recessed like everyone says and not even similar to dt880 pro? What i really hope is to hear the comparison of people who has/had all of these 3 models (dt880 premium 250ohm, dt880 pro, dt990 premium 250ohm). Sorry if my post looks very similar to others, but i just haven't found the exact answer to these questions and it is very hard for me to decide on which headphone i should get, because haven't even heard dt880 premium and the dt990 premium with dt880 pro are in different shops, so i can't really compare them so precisely, because i think i will forget the sound signatures.

Sorry if my english is bad, it is not my native language. I really hope you understood what i mean, if not i could try to explain again. Thank you for help.

Aug 15, 2012 at 3:55 PM Post #1,003 of 1,845
You can add your location in your community profile, if you like.
I would say to just get the Pro version of whatever you pick, it gives you more cash towards buying a better DAC and headphone amplifier.
The 250-ohm "Premium" versions big difference is it is a little more comfortable then the 250-Ohm Pro version(s).
Did you have any ideas on what DAC and headphone amplifier you want?
Or how much you have budgeted for a DAC and headphone amplifier?

Aug 15, 2012 at 4:47 PM Post #1,004 of 1,845
Thanks for a quick reply. I have listened to all of those headphones with my traktor audio 6 interface (i am a bit of a dj with turntables), don't really know if it is really "properly" good for higher end headphones, but i can say that at half of the volume i get pretty much more than my comfortable listening level and it sounds very nice with all those headphones. Maybe because i haven't compared to more serious equipment, but firstly i want to buy headphones and just listen, listen and listen.... And then i am pretty sure i will buy something more serious to power them, but for now when i heared the dt880 pro, the sound was just amazing for me even with traktor interface. By the way, i have found that with the external power source my interface provides even higher headphone output level, so do i really need that extra amplifier and DAC for the start? About that price, i could get all of those headphones for very similar price, dt 990 premium 250ohm and dt880 pro are both for about 291$ in my country converted from our currency, then dt880 premium 250ohm are about 340$, but i really don't look that much at the price, i consider them all cheap because at first i thought that i like hd650 which is like double of the dt880 pro price in my country. Then i was so happy that i found a better sounding heaphones for so cheap. So now i just want the best headphones of these, because the money for amp and DAC is still there if it is really needed, i think i could spend about 200-400$ or even more in US currency if it's really worth it.

Aug 17, 2012 at 11:15 AM Post #1,005 of 1,845
Yesterday i have listened once more to dt990 premium and dt880 pro, i can say that dt880 pro really has better balanced sound and better bass in my opinion (it has more body or impact, i don't know how to call it, but it is just better for me). Only one thing that i didn't like about dt880 pro is that higher clamping force, but i think i will just bend it a bit and it should be fine. dt880 feels just so much solid for me. I have just made my decision and ordered dt880 pro for even cheaper. Can't wait to hear them again. 
smily_headphones1.gif
 Could someone reply to my questions about amp/DAC from previous post? By the way, my traktor audio 6 has cirrus logic DAC in it, is it any good?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back