[GUIDE] Sonic Differences Between DT770-DT990 Models & More
Jul 26, 2012 at 5:00 PM Post #931 of 1,845
I just got the DT 990's 600 OHM. I tried them with my SGS but they are weaker than my previous headphones Sony MDR XB-700. I also plugged them in a laptop and they are still weaker while the sound quality is way better though. 
So, I guess I need an amp. I would use them with my laptop and very rarely with my mobile phone. I am not a DJ and I do not have hi end sound systems. 
Could you recommend me an amp around 100-150$? I am wandering between fiio e17 and e10. Still I am new and I am not familiar with the amp stuff.

Thank you in advance.

Jul 26, 2012 at 5:46 PM Post #932 of 1,845
The 600 ohm Beyers are some of the most difficult headphones to drive. You probably should have gotten the 80 or 250 ohm version. But don't worry, you'll be very happy with the 600 ohm once you get a proper amp for them. The O2 is a very popular amp, is decently powerful, and is ~$150:

http://www.jdslabs.com/item.php?fetchitem=O2Full

Jul 27, 2012 at 7:45 AM Post #933 of 1,845
Question about DT880's. I just got my 600 Ohm version a couple of hours ago, and I must say I am extremely surprised by poor build quality in one area. Those sliders where headband size adjusts feel VERY loose. I mean, so loose that headphones pieces on each side don't even "click" in place, they just slide up and down and dont stay at one place when I adjust the headband size.  Very loose. Is that normal?

Other than that, they do seem MUCH harder to power than HD650's, Q701's and HFI2400's. Sound wise, powered out of my Bellari HA540 tube amp (enough power, decent volume at 30-40%), I would not say they're in the same league as any of those 3 to my ears, for now.  If my hearing serves me right, overall I'd stick them next to HD558's in terms of listening pleasure, but I have to adjust to them, they're still new, lots of brain burn in to come. :p
But decent sound considering they come at third of the price of HD650's and half the price of HFI2400's and Q701's in my country. I'm liking the bass, very textured, tight and deep. Best part about them at this moment.

Jul 27, 2012 at 10:20 AM Post #934 of 1,845
Quote:
Question about DT880's. I just got my 600 Ohm version a couple of hours ago, and I must say I am extremely surprised by poor build quality in one area. Those sliders where headband size adjusts feel VERY loose. I mean, so loose that headphones pieces on each side don't even "click" in place, they just slide up and down and dont stay at one place when I adjust the headband size.  Very loose. Is that normal?

Other than that, they do seem MUCH harder to power than HD650's, Q701's and HFI2400's. Sound wise, powered out of my Bellari HA540 tube amp (enough power, decent volume at 30-40%), I would not say they're in the same league as any of those 3 to my ears, for now.  If my hearing serves me right, overall I'd stick them next to HD558's in terms of listening pleasure, but I have to adjust to them, they're still new, lots of brain burn in to come. :p
But decent sound considering they come at third of the price of HD650's and half the price of HFI2400's and Q701's in my country. I'm liking the bass, very textured, tight and deep. Best part about them at this moment.

Does sound like there is something wrong with the sliders.
Can you post pictures of the DT880 Premium 600-Ohm headphones?

Jul 27, 2012 at 10:57 AM Post #935 of 1,845
Quote:
Does sound like there is something wrong with the sliders.
Can you post pictures of the DT880 Premium 600-Ohm headphones?

So I guess its definitely not normal for them to be so loose?
I mean, if I hold the cups, the weight of headband alone makes it slide back down. Its almost totally loose. Its fine when headband is stretched outwards or when placed on the head, but its annoying that I have to adjust it every time before putting it on my head.

Theres nothing wrong with them visually.

Jul 27, 2012 at 12:53 PM Post #937 of 1,845
Quote:

The thing about 600 ohm Beyers is they need a fair amount of voltage to drive them.
I have a pair of 600 ohm DT880s:
I can't use them with:
my laptop
my IPod
my iPad
my CD player headphone jack

I can use them with my Matrix M Stage, La Figaro 336C and my power amp, but you have to turn the volume control up a notch or two.  What do all these have in common? They can output a fair amount of voltage to the headphones.
The 600 ohm Beyers were never deisgned to be used with portable devices.

Jul 27, 2012 at 2:42 PM Post #938 of 1,845
Quote:

The thing about 600 ohm Beyers is they need a fair amount of voltage to drive them.
I have a pair of 600 ohm DT880s:
I can't use them with:
my laptop
my IPod
my iPad
my CD player headphone jack

I can use them with my Matrix M Stage, La Figaro 336C and my power amp, but you have to turn the volume control up a notch or two.  What do all these have in common? They can output a fair amount of voltage to the headphones.
The 600 ohm Beyers were never deisgned to be used with portable devices.

To sound good yeah you need a decent amp , but it's listenable from an ipod there is sound and it's not as bad as "i can't use them " ... But i would not advice any one to use a ipod as source for a DT-880-600 ohms , just if you are amp less for a day or two , it will not kill you to plug your DT-880 on your ipod 
tongue_smile.gif

Jul 27, 2012 at 4:59 PM Post #939 of 1,845
Quote:
So I guess its definitely not normal for them to be so loose?

The refurbished pair of DT770 Premium 600 ohm I bought from Headroom a few months ago were pretty loose as well and I suspect its fairly common for them to become more loose over time but I wouldn't worry about it unless they are actually slipping and changing position while you are wearing them. Have you verified that the screws are nice and tight?

Jul 27, 2012 at 5:29 PM Post #940 of 1,845
Quote:

The refurbished pair of DT770 Premium 600 ohm I bought from Headroom a few months ago were pretty loose as well and I suspect its fairly common for them to become more loose over time but I wouldn't worry about it unless they are actually slipping and changing position while you are wearing them. Have you verified that the screws are nice and tight?

Yep, that's the first thing I've done. They're tight, but cups still hang very loosely on the headband. My DT880's are also brand new out of the box, so definitely not worn out.

I mean, it's not a problem really, more like an inconvenience. The headband is only loose when not on the head. When I stretch the headband, the cups are tight then, same on the head, you can't actually adjust them then, they very tightly held in place. Its only when I get the headphones off of my head that the cups slide up or down, so I have to readjust them every time before putting them on.  I might glue a thin piece of rubber onto the aluminum parts to generate more friction.

Jul 27, 2012 at 5:38 PM Post #941 of 1,845
Quote:

Yep, that's the first thing I've done. They're tight, but cups still hang very loosely on the headband. My DT880's are also brand new out of the box, so definitely not worn out.

I mean, it's not a problem really, more like an inconvenience. The headband is only loose when not on the head. When I stretch the headband, the cups are tight then, same on the head, you can't actually adjust them then, they very tightly held in place. Its only when I get the headphones off of my head that the cups slide up or down, so I have to readjust them every time before putting them on.  I might glue a thin piece of rubber onto the aluminum parts to generate more friction.

I got used to the looseness on my 770s. I got into the habit of placing my index and middle fingers around the metal yoke and then quickly sliding the end pieces up to the desired position as I pulled them toward my head. Sounds complicated but it became second nature and really wasn't an issue at all.

Jul 27, 2012 at 8:30 PM Post #942 of 1,845
Hi,

For the Head-Fiers with loose headbands, but the Pro models headband. You'll get a stronger clamp as well as ore bass :wink:.

Jul 27, 2012 at 8:33 PM Post #943 of 1,845
Quote:
Hi,

For the Head-Fiers with loose headbands, but the Pro models headband. You'll get a stronger clamp as well as ore bass :wink:.

Thanks zombie, where would you say is the best/cheapest place to buy those?

Jul 27, 2012 at 9:54 PM Post #944 of 1,845
Hi devhen,

I recommend you contact beyerdynamic USA directly to buy the headband. You need the entire assembly, so that should be $20 or so for the whole thing.

Quote:

Thanks zombie, where would you say is the best/cheapest place to buy those?

Jul 27, 2012 at 11:53 PM Post #945 of 1,845
What about a DAC? Do I need one? I just want to listen to a high quality music such as 320 or flacs (over 40mb) because I listen to music daily over 10hrs. But as I said I am not a DJ. So, do I need a dac for these headphones for my needs?

I am checking the O2 + ODAC combo? Any thoughts?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back