[GUIDE] Sonic Differences Between DT770-DT990 Models & More
Sep 21, 2011 at 6:00 PM Post #451 of 1,845
I already have considered the fact that tube amps handle the eletricity better than "static"(dont know the right word in english) ones, but the difference will be this big?

I already have considered the HD650 but, they're are very expensive for me, I live in Brazil, if I get taxed for him the price from U$400 its gonna be U$700,00(Yeah, the taxes here are enourmous, but try to complain to the governament) plus a better amp...

Sep 21, 2011 at 6:33 PM Post #453 of 1,845

Quote:
I already have considered the fact that tube amps handle the eletricity better than "static"(dont know the right word in english) ones, but the difference will be this big?

I already have considered the HD650 but, they're are very expensive for me, I live in Brazil, if I get taxed for him the price from U$400 its gonna be U$700,00(Yeah, the taxes here are enourmous, but try to complain to the governament) plus a better amp...

I don't think switching to a tube amp will solve the sibilance problem. I perceived more sibilance with my previous tube amp than with my current SS amp.

Sep 21, 2011 at 7:00 PM Post #454 of 1,845
I would if I had the money. Maybe I'll hit Skylab up and see if I can borrow his. I know he had ordered from Moon-Audio...

We'll see guys :wink:

Quote:
Hi zombie, will you try out the new T70 anytime soon? :)

Sep 22, 2011 at 1:42 PM Post #458 of 1,845

Quote:
Ok, I decided and bought the dt880 600 ohm. Delivery Sat.

Good choice. You won't regret it.
beyersmile.png

Sep 22, 2011 at 2:22 PM Post #461 of 1,845

Quote:
If your are talking about the Premium DT880 or 990, comfort and price. Beyers are very comfy.

Comfort is nice, but I wanted to know a comparison of their sounds. The HD650's seemed a little veiled in the upper frequencies. Would either the DT880 or DT990 be a good alternative for me? I listen to metal/rock mostly, and a decent amount of electronica.

Sep 22, 2011 at 2:25 PM Post #462 of 1,845
Comfort is nice, but I wanted to know a comparison of their sounds. The HD650's seemed a little veiled in the upper frequencies. Would either the DT880 or DT990 be a good alternative for me? I listen to metal/rock mostly, and a decent amount of electronica.

If you can hang on to Saturday, I will give you an honest opinion, as my dt880 arrives then.

Sep 22, 2011 at 2:56 PM Post #463 of 1,845

Quote:
Does anyone here have a comparison between the HD650's and the dt880 or dt990? I found the HD650's seemed a little..veiled. I wanted something that is clearer.

I don't find the HD650 veiled at all. They let you hear everything that's on the recording without boosting any frequency.
The DT880 has a slightly tilted treble in comparison. I modded my DT880 into a closed version with a lot of dampening on the drivers. Now they are more to my liking.

Sep 22, 2011 at 3:55 PM Post #465 of 1,845
I recently acquired a set of DT880 Dragon V1 (600 ohm) from Moon Audio.  These are balanced and cabled with Black Dragon cable.   

I am very pleased with the sound.  I find them to be nicely balanced and easy to listen to for long periods of time.   I got both the velour pads as well as the leather pads.   I find the leather to be more to my liking, both comfort-wise and sound-wise.  I believe the use of carbon fibre in the construction of the Dragons does reduce the weight, further adding to the comfort. 

I have used the following amps thus far:  

Virtue Audio Sensation M451 (driven from speaker taps)
PS Audio GCHA
Project Sunrise DIY tube amp. 
iBasso PB2/DB1 balanced amp and DAC.  
Scherzo Audio Andante

My preference is the Andante which delivers superb imaging and an expansive, realistic soundstage; tonally it is extremely well-balanced  across the entire audio spectrum.  The Andante adds an intangible sense of realism and presence that my other amps are not able to match.  I should add, however, that if one listens at very high volumes, the Andante would probably not be the best choice, as I am running at about 1:00 on the volume control to deliver my normal listening levels, which would best be described as a rather moderate volume.  I can easily reach "too loud" levels with it, but I don't think there would be much headroom left at these levels.

I did own the DT880 Pro 250 ohm at one time, but find that the Dragon V1 outperforms them in all respects.  This could be more amp-related than phone-related, as I did not own any of my current amps at the time. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back