[GUIDE] Sonic Differences Between DT770-DT990 Models & More
Sep 25, 2011 at 5:23 PM Post #481 of 1,845
Is this the leather pads ?

http://www.thomann.de/gb/beyerdynamic_ohrmuschelsatz.htm

Maybe I need the dt990 600 ohm? At least I will some bass rumble. I do like the dt880 just wish there was more deep bass. Maybe they are too good for my ears.

Sep 25, 2011 at 5:28 PM Post #482 of 1,845

Quote:

Maybe I need the dt990 600 ohm? At least I will some bass rumble. I do like the dt880 just wish there was more deep bass. Maybe they are too good for my ears.

No, no. Those are plastic ear pads. You can't find leather pads at Thomann.

Sep 25, 2011 at 5:41 PM Post #483 of 1,845

Quote:

Are you opposed to EQ? You could simply just bump up the appropriate ranges...

Sep 25, 2011 at 7:55 PM Post #485 of 1,845
Perhaps so. Beyers really need an amp regardless of the impedance. Even the 320hm models need one in the worst way. If amping doesn't add more bass (which it did for me) then maybe getting a DT990 would be a better option.

Quote:
You're amplifying the 880s and still don't have enough bass? I definitely think you want a different set of phones.

Sep 25, 2011 at 8:39 PM Post #487 of 1,845
Perhaps so. Beyers really need an amp regardless of the impedance. Even the 320hm models need one in the worst way. If amping doesn't add more bass (which it did for me) then maybe getting a DT990 would be a better option.

I liked the 880s fine with the onboard amp from my sound card, but adding a separate amp made huge difference for the better in the bass.

BTW Zombie_X, I really want to thank you for this thread. This and listening to different phones at a meet made me choose the 880s and I couldn't be happier with them.

Sep 25, 2011 at 9:33 PM Post #489 of 1,845
No problem man. This thread is my way to help those who need help in choosing what beyer they need.

Quote:
I liked the 880s fine with the onboard amp from my sound card, but adding a separate amp made huge difference for the better in the bass.

BTW Zombie_X, I really want to thank you for this thread. This and listening to different phones at a meet made me choose the 880s and I couldn't be happier with them.

They are the exact same as the old leather ones that beyerdynamic used to make and they sound nice, especially on the DT770/600Ohm. The only downside tot hem is the price because they are around $70 I believe. Quite expensive so I can not recommend them new to anyone, so try and get them used.

Quote:
What about the J$ pads for the Beyers?

Sep 25, 2011 at 9:46 PM Post #490 of 1,845
Oh I wasn't planning on buying those pads since I'm very happy with the stock velour pads. They are quite comfortable and I enjoy the sound quite a bit with them. I was just giving another option for a leather type pads for Beyers. 

I'm curious but has anyone tried the Maverick Audio TubeMagic A1 with the DT880 600 ohms. I'd like to pick up a reasonably priced amp with some tubes and that amp seems to have some good reviews. I think my PPAv2 isn't bad for them but I'd like to try something different.

Sep 26, 2011 at 4:49 AM Post #491 of 1,845
Ok. An even longer burn period has passed, and I have even more bass. This I like. For over 90% of my music the bass is very very good and powerful. The mids and treble are really good now. And comfort is amazing.

I intend to try a pair of the DT990 Pro 250 ohms soon, but have no intention of returning the 880s.

I might try and get the Aviation Gel pads just out of curiosity .

Sep 26, 2011 at 7:02 PM Post #492 of 1,845
No don't use the gel pads! They completely ruin the sound and make it muddy and too bass oriented on the DT880.

Quote:
Ok. An even longer burn period has passed, and I have even more bass. This I like. For over 90% of my music the bass is very very good and powerful. The mids and treble are really good now. And comfort is amazing.

I intend to try a pair of the DT990 Pro 250 ohms soon, but have no intention of returning the 880s.

I might try and get the Aviation Gel pads just out of curiosity .

Sep 26, 2011 at 8:34 PM Post #493 of 1,845
Sep 26, 2011 at 9:05 PM Post #494 of 1,845
take down the item number and search for it on Beyers official site.  i got my replacement velours for 20$ less than the going rate that way

Sep 26, 2011 at 10:54 PM Post #495 of 1,845

Quote:
They are the exact same as the old leather ones that beyerdynamic used to make and they sound nice, especially on the DT770/600Ohm. The only downside tot hem is the price because they are around $70 I believe. Quite expensive so I can not recommend them new to anyone, so try and get them used.

http://www.jmoneyaudio.com/beyerpads.php

About $60 shipped by the looks of it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back