[GUIDE] Sonic Differences Between DT770-DT990 Models & More
Sep 19, 2011 at 7:13 PM Post #436 of 1,845
IMO the DT990 is better for the rock but the other genres work better on the DT880. I would just go with the DT880 250Ohm in the Pro model. This way you save some money in the end.

Quote:
I listen to a lot of jazz, blues, classical, opera, and rock.

I have a little dot mkiv tube amp so can power the 600 ohm models.

Which model would people go for 770 / 880 or 990? Also the 250 ohm pro version are £100 less than the premium options. Is there really £100 difference?

Sep 20, 2011 at 2:54 AM Post #437 of 1,845
Well it looks like the UK pricing has just changed. The premium version is now cheaper than the pro, although all the pricing has now lifted up to the £200. Might as well get the 600 ohm.

I had my lunch the other day at Lands End, UK. That's the end of the UK in the South. Consequently I am miles from civilisation, hifi shops of any decent note, meet ups and so on. We do have our own brewery though.

Consequently this makes buying headphones very tricky especially as sound is so subjective. Also I don't want a headphone that sounds similar to my FA-003 , I want something better of different. Must be comfy too like the Beyers.

Sep 20, 2011 at 8:28 AM Post #438 of 1,845

Quote:
Also I don't want a headphone that sounds similar to my FA-003 , I want something better of different. Must be comfy too like the Beyers.

If you fancy something completely different, the Hifiman orthos are very good and comfortable, maybe try a HE-4?

www.ampcity.co.uk

Get a 30 day in-home audition with them, even if you don't intend on keeping the headphones it's a good way of trying something new.

Sep 20, 2011 at 12:25 PM Post #439 of 1,845
Thanks, had a look at the HE-4 but too expensive and not sure my LD MKIV is suitable.

However, just realised Beyer's european website allows you to customise your headphones. I'm having a ball with the customisation. Can't decide on chrome and carbon fibre look, with a white headband, or walnut burl, black and white look or simply a zebra effect. Plus I will add my name too.

Sep 20, 2011 at 6:07 PM Post #440 of 1,845
Careful about those customisations. If it's the "Manufaktur" product line then they are more expensive than normal (though perhaps not significantly so for Europe; I don't know what your prices are like). 

Sep 21, 2011 at 2:53 PM Post #442 of 1,845
Guys, after some months after my purchase of the DT880 600Ohm, the sibilance in these is starting to piss me off. I cant hear a indie rock song, metal, rock or even a blues song without hearing the annoing "tzzz".

So I ask you guys, the HP have this sibilance from its sound signature? Or its my setup that isnt the perfect match for these?

I use a FiiO E7+E9 combo to drive, I know this cant drive to the beyers full power, but the $$ is scarce 

Sep 21, 2011 at 3:23 PM Post #443 of 1,845

Quote:
Guys, after some months after my purchase of the DT880 600Ohm, the sibilance in these is starting to piss me off. I cant hear a indie rock song, metal, rock or even a blues song without hearing the annoing "tzzz".

So I ask you guys, the HP have this sibilance from its sound signature? Or its my setup that isnt the perfect match for these?

I use a FiiO E7+E9 combo to drive, I know this cant drive to the beyers full power, but the $$ is scarce 

E9 outputs 80mw into 600ohm and the DT880's can handle 100mw, so maybe a little mismatch there but nothing major.

Download SineGen
http://www.tucows.com/preview/502787

Run it and click the power button, set the volume to a listenable level.

sweep the slider up and down, and listen for peaks around 7.5k and 10-12k, you may want to EQ these down on your headphones to get rid of any harshness.

Sep 21, 2011 at 3:24 PM Post #444 of 1,845

Whilst the Fiio E7/E9 is a fine setup, the E9 lacks the voltage (not power) to drive 600 ohms fully. A tube amp like Little Dot MKIv would really make you dt880 shine without the sibilance.

Sep 21, 2011 at 3:52 PM Post #446 of 1,845
You know I've heard the sibilance thing from more than one person, but I have to say, and maybe it's my middle aged ears, I don't hear it. My DT800 600 ohm/crack amp combo sounds super smooth.

Sep 21, 2011 at 3:59 PM Post #447 of 1,845
it could be many things such as source, recording, amp, etc. but I guess we all hear differently because I have not heard any sibilance on my DT880 that I would not normally hear from my other headphones.

Sep 21, 2011 at 4:04 PM Post #448 of 1,845

Quote:

It's the nature of the DT880 (and DT770 consumer edition as well).
As someone suggested already, the HD650 handles sibilance a lot better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back