Grado modders go Magnum
Sep 12, 2013 at 1:47 PM Post #2,866 of 4,994
Correct.  But, medications and shampoos cost money.  Upgrades or new projects also cost money.  The real question is ... would you rather spend your money on medications and shampoos, or just go directly to the component purchase for a build or an upgrade?

I've skipped plenty of lunches in order to get together a few bucks for a small purchase here and there.  Sometimes, we have to be creative in how we get the capital to fund our purchases.  :wink:

Too true...:)...I am like a crackhead selling stuff around the house to fund the habit...

Sep 13, 2013 at 11:48 AM Post #2,867 of 4,994
I've been putting off buying the Turbulent Vibro cups because of this new 'Soundstage' cup that was meant to be released in July... it's Septmber now :frowning2:

Don't suppose anyone has any inside info? Taiden? :)

Sep 16, 2013 at 8:59 AM Post #2,870 of 4,994
I had made ​​with Magnum V5 to Martin.
All clearly neutral♪
Will be adequately represented in any genre.
I have to thank him.

Thankyou Martin
beyersmile.png

Sep 17, 2013 at 11:23 AM Post #2,873 of 4,994
Probably look something like this, from my quick research on Martin's blog. I wanted to update myself with his work anyways, as I was one of his very first customers.

I must say, I am impressed with the cups and gimbals, but disappointed overall because he is still using the same cheap, easy-to-bend mesh/grilles.. And still using unstitched headbands. Of course, that mostly comes down to personal preference.

DSC_0521.JPG

Sep 17, 2013 at 1:00 PM Post #2,874 of 4,994
The battle ground is being prepared.  The RS1i arrived a few weeks ago.  The PS-500 arrived today.  The Magnum drivers should arrive (early next week?) so I finish the build.  Then the smack down will proceed.  Which will win?  I'm not sure.  However, I doubt if I would get rid of any of them based upon the completion of the review as they two so far are slightly different in various ways that I don't feel like I have two headphones with the same sonic signature.

Edit: I should also point out that I wanted to add the HF-2 back into my collection and also place that headphone through the paces, but it was a bit rough and it brought a tear to my eye to see it in such shape.  That item has been returned and I'll look for another one after my Magnum is finished.

Sep 17, 2013 at 1:35 PM Post #2,875 of 4,994
Also got my order in for some Turbulent X drivers over the week-end and got the tracking number today. Also on its way is a pair of wooden cups and cable from the man himself, wje. Can't wait to get all the parts together. I'll post pictures here in the coming weeks when it all comes together. Stay tuned ...

gs1000.gif

Sep 17, 2013 at 8:53 PM Post #2,876 of 4,994
^^^those cups from wje were nice before he reworked them so they must be really really nice now (I was one of their previous owners). looking forward to the finished product pics.

on another note do you guys know where I could get aluminum spacers like original magnums had? or maybe wood ones?

Sep 17, 2013 at 10:18 PM Post #2,877 of 4,994
^^^those cups from wje were nice before he reworked them so they must be really really nice now (I was one of their previous owners). looking forward to the finished product pics.

on another note do you guys know where I could get aluminum spacers like original magnums had? or maybe wood ones?

Actually, those cups are now on their way to Quebec.  Instead, I'm going to go forward with the walnut cups as a change of pace, and decided just to do one build instead of two (due to purchasing the RS1i and the PS-500).

Instead, this is what I'll be using.

Sep 18, 2013 at 1:39 PM Post #2,879 of 4,994
As an FYI update.  I ordered my Turbulent X drivers on Sunday 9/8/2013.  Checking my tracking details, it looks like the package arrived in New York yesterday (9/17) to proceed through customs.  I anticipate that I'll most likely get the drivers by this weekend, if not, then on Saturday morning.  The downside is that I'll be away from home on Saturday and if they arrive, the USPS won't leave International shipments from the Asia region (in my experience) and if I've missed them, then I'll have to take the card to the post office and they'll retrieve my package.

The good thing about being able to order the Magnum drivers from Rhydon in Canada meant only about a 5-6 day wait on arrival and since it went Canada Post and through the USPS, I never had to sign for the shipment and it would be placed in my mailbox.

Oh, one other thing about customs in New York.  I've witnessed a package in the past actually go to two locations and N.Y. upon arrival in the U.S., which took them about 4 days to process.  Thus, this time will be interesting to see what happens.

For those who have received their drivers recently, do you recall having to sign for the item, or did you just find that it was left in your mailbox?

Thank you!

Sep 18, 2013 at 4:19 PM Post #2,880 of 4,994

Actually, those cups are now on their way to Quebec.  Instead, I'm going to go forward with the walnut cups as a change of pace, and decided just to do one build instead of two (due to purchasing the RS1i and the PS-500).

Instead, this is what I'll be using.

Nice...kinda got a golden hue.

Are you going to do a review on the different drivers?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back