Grado modders go Magnum
Sep 9, 2013 at 7:56 PM Post #2,851 of 4,994
That's really odd because I ordered the turb x drivers yesterday as well and said that it shipped em today. On their website it says that they ship from usa or Malaysia.

I just checked my link, which is a DHL Global link that points to an Asian portal.  It reflects that my drivers are currently in Singapore.

Sep 9, 2013 at 10:40 PM Post #2,852 of 4,994
Be prepared to wait 2weeks or so to receive them...

Sep 10, 2013 at 12:18 AM Post #2,854 of 4,994
Ordering mine tonight, oooo I can't wait to finally finish my build, the he400 got my money for a while, but its time for it to have yet another friend. Cups are ready, just need to make the gimbals and rod blocks while my v5s are taking their time to get here.

Sep 10, 2013 at 10:08 PM Post #2,855 of 4,994
A few shots of the walnut cups.  I sanded the finish a bit to get it down to lighten the wood a bit.  Then, I applied a stain mixture - 50% Minwax cherry stain + 50% Thinner.  I was going for more of a reddish tint as apposed to a darker brown finish as walnut tends to take on that hue.  The satin poly was only applied to the exterior surfaces of the cups, but not the inner walls.   Now, just the wait on the drivers, which I'm fine with because I couldn't finish the work for about a week or so due to other demands.  Gorgeous!  Just gorgeous, if I can say so myself.  
tongue_smile.gif

Sep 10, 2013 at 10:37 PM Post #2,856 of 4,994
Let us know how long the drivers take to get to ya, I ordered mine last night and havnt even gotten an email yet from Turbulent, I know that's not giving them much time, but I'm impatient when it comes to headphones and accessories!

Sep 12, 2013 at 11:30 AM Post #2,859 of 4,994
  ...there are pills for that you know. And shampoos.

biggrin.gif

Correct.  But, medications and shampoos cost money.  Upgrades or new projects also cost money.  The real question is ... would you rather spend your money on medications and shampoos, or just go directly to the component purchase for a build or an upgrade?

I've skipped plenty of lunches in order to get together a few bucks for a small purchase here and there.  Sometimes, we have to be creative in how we get the capital to fund our purchases. 
wink.gif

No, just a minor off-topic (but semi on-topic) rant.  This past few weeks, we've been involved with the process of refinishing the sanded-in-place hardwood floors in our home on the main level.  During this effort, I had moved around my 15' Grado extension cord and my HRT Music Streamer II DAC.  I believe I had both items in a plastic bag when I moved both from one floor to another.  Sadly, I now suspect I migh have tossed the plastic bag into our trash and sent it out at the end of this past weekend.  I can't find the bloody items anywhere in our home.  I received my Little Dot I+ amp yesterday, but didn't have a DAC to use with it during the evening.

Meanwhile, here is my home project.  I can refinish wood in other areas, and not just limit the process just to wooden headphone cups.

Sep 12, 2013 at 11:44 AM Post #2,860 of 4,994
Floors came out good Wje, now I'm going to go a little off topic. Wje, when you put your order in with turbulent, DoD you get any email from them confirming?
I ordered mine Monday night and PayPal took the funds out. But I've received nothing at all from turbulent, no shipping info, no order email, nothing. I even wrote them and still no reply. I'm about ready to put in a cancel with PayPal as this just seems ridiculous to me. I don't mind waiting for shipping, but at least let me know my money has paid for an item. I don't know how turbulent opwerates, and I'm assuming its a small outfit, so maybe I'm jumping the gun here.

Sep 12, 2013 at 12:21 PM Post #2,861 of 4,994
Floors came out good Wje, now I'm going to go a little off topic. Wje, when you put your order in with turbulent, DoD you get any email from them confirming?
I ordered mine Monday night and PayPal took the funds out. But I've received nothing at all from turbulent, no shipping info, no order email, nothing. I even wrote them and still no reply. I'm about ready to put in a cancel with PayPal as this just seems ridiculous to me. I don't mind waiting for shipping, but at least let me know my money has paid for an item. I don't know how turbulent opwerates, and I'm assuming its a small outfit, so maybe I'm jumping the gun here.

I think Turbulent is run by just two people. They have been good to me before, so I would give a little more time personally.

Sep 12, 2013 at 12:35 PM Post #2,862 of 4,994

Yes.  Within about 8 hours of placing the order, I received a confirmation -- the tracking number, as well as the link to the DHL International site for tracking the order.

You could PM Jin.  Jinteddy7 is his name on the forum here.

Sep 12, 2013 at 12:40 PM Post #2,863 of 4,994
If anyone is looking to get their feet wet in a Magnum build, I've posted a pair of wooden cups that I will not be using since I have the chestnut cups instead.  They are a pair of the infamous Cabillas offering.  The pair listed was originally mine, but went through 2 other owners before coming back to me.  This pair is a "one of kind" offering since I took the original Cabillas cup, and refinished the wood with a different stain color, and a few fresh coats of poly. The screens / mesh for the cups are included.  The Cabillas cups are cut quite precise.  At most, I've had to wrap one layer of black electrical tape around the perimeter of the Magnum or Grado driver and simply "press fit" the drivers into the cups with my thumbs.  A really "quality" product.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/681100/fs-wooden-cups-cabillas-product-from-2012

Sep 12, 2013 at 12:56 PM Post #2,864 of 4,994
I personally purchased a pair of custom magnum's in wood (mahogany).  But the driver was not flush with the cup.  
I was slightly recessed down into the cup.  Made everything more bright.  
We all know that with Grado's it's all about the distance of the driver to the ear.  Well, even with the Flats, it was too bright.  
So as a last attempt, I just used it without the Flats, bare cups.  It sounded almost right.  So I placed a 2" thin pad and stretched it over the cup.  Much thinner than the Grado comfies.  
And to my ears, it sounded just like Vintage RS1 Grados.  Super warm, smooth, thick and yet punchy, groovy with great crunch and attack.  Man I have never heard better smoother vocals and better attack on the guitars.
But it was much more detailed with greater instrument separation than the vintage RS1 grados.  I finally got the sound I loved and missed and it was all by serendipity. 

Sep 12, 2013 at 1:28 PM Post #2,865 of 4,994
  I personally purchased a pair of custom magnum's in wood (mahogany).  But the driver was not flush with the cup.
I was slightly recessed down into the cup.  Made everything more bright.  .

This would be relatively easy to modify.  If the driver could be extracted from the cup, you could build up the cut-out depth for the drivers by about 1/8".  There are more than a few ways to handle this. Some small layers of tape inside the cup and slightly over the recess for the driver.  This would ensure the driver could not be presed too far into the cup.  You could also use some adhesive to build up the bottom of the recess, so the driver does not go too far into the area.  Or, glue in a few pieces of toothpics towards the bottom of the recess. Again, all those options would prevent the driver from sitting too deep into the cup.

It would be an excellent fix in your case as it seems like you've tried many pad variations with differnt levels of success ... and also some pads that didn't make the sound too pleasing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back