Grado modders go Magnum
Aug 31, 2013 at 1:21 PM Post #2,821 of 4,994
Yeah, for whatever reason, I'm pretty confident that it is not 8 conductor.

I vaguely remember someone complaining about it ages ago.

I could totally be wrong. But, I don't think I am :wink:

Aug 31, 2013 at 1:31 PM Post #2,822 of 4,994
Quote:
Yeah, for whatever reason, I'm pretty confident that it is not 8 conductor.

I vaguely remember someone complaining about it ages ago.

I could totally be wrong. But, I don't think I am :wink:

Yeah, I don't think Grado changed the extension cable when they came out with the 8-conductor pipe for the better cans.

Sep 4, 2013 at 3:51 PM Post #2,823 of 4,994
Deal Alert!

If someone is going to be doing a Magnum build and are in need of a headband, the Sony 7506 band is padded and a great headband to pair up with the wooden cups.  Now, here is where the sweet deal comes in for residents within North America.  Trew Audio, which sells that headband, has free UPS Ground shipping through 9/22/2013.  This makes the total cost only $19.99.  When I've ordered a band from them in the past, I paid about $11.00 in shipping.  So, the free ground shipping is a sweet deal!

http://www.trewaudio.com/store/Sony-7506-Replacement-Headband-and-Cups.html

If you look at the upper right corner of the screen, you'll see the information on the free shipping.

Sep 5, 2013 at 2:02 PM Post #2,824 of 4,994
  Deal Alert!

If someone is going to be doing a Magnum build and are in need of a headband, the Sony 7506 band is padded and a great headband to pair up with the wooden cups.  Now, here is where the sweet deal comes in for residents within North America.  Trew Audio, which sells that headband, has free UPS Ground shipping through 9/22/2013.  This makes the total cost only $19.99.  When I've ordered a band from them in the past, I paid about $11.00 in shipping.  So, the free ground shipping is a sweet deal!

http://www.trewaudio.com/store/Sony-7506-Replacement-Headband-and-Cups.html

If you look at the upper right corner of the screen, you'll see the information on the free shipping.

For me shipping is $53

It does say  "Free Shipping all summer long for any new item"

Sep 6, 2013 at 1:48 AM Post #2,828 of 4,994
I was going by this

It just occurred to me, I ordered a few days back, but didn't receive a order or shipping confirmation.  I think this time, I checked out as a guest and before I may have had an account.  Those forgotten passwords!  I'll see what happens over the next few days.

On the other hand, I also placed an order from Parts Express.  Another odd order this time around.  I was too lazy to get the password reset, but then checked my PayPal for the order number.  I contacted them and they provided the tracking number and the response from them indicated it was shipped on Tuesday.  However, when I checked the USPS site, only the shipping request was received and it actually didn't physically hit the postal system until Thursday.  I guess I'll need to put in a few days of lead time for my orders.  The Magnum 3.5s arrive tomorrow, but I guess I'll have to borrow the Alessandro headband until the Sony arrives.

But, it'll be OK.

Sep 6, 2013 at 2:40 PM Post #2,833 of 4,994
I contacted Trew Audio since I didn't receive a confirmation via E-mail.  They gave me the tracking number and indicated it was delivered early this afternoon.  I ordered the Sony 7506 band on Wednesday and received it today.  Sweet!

Now, I have enough to push ahead with the Magnum 3.5 build this weekend.  Happy, Happy. Joy, Joy.

Sep 7, 2013 at 3:36 AM Post #2,834 of 4,994
  Nice!

Here's the hairdryer method.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zachh7Cf5rY

Thank you for the link.....Will this be safe to use on aluminum cups and wooden chambers? I wonder if this is too risky for someone like myself who has no experience working on headphones....Heh, I picture at least, the plastic forks that connect the cups to the headband melting.

Sep 7, 2013 at 9:46 AM Post #2,835 of 4,994
I received my purchased Cabillas Grado cups and Magnum 3.5 drivers yesterday.  The cups are iroko wood, but with a different stain applied.  The appearance is much better as it takes it from a basic brown to a much better color.  I remember refinishing a pair of my iroko cups some time back to a finish like this, too.  I should pull my pics and compare.  Plus, the Sony 7506 band arrived yesterday and the Senn. 414 pads, too.  So, now  you're thinking "what's holding him back from finishing these up?"  Well, it's the cable.  I am building the cable for it at this time.  Now, the question remains ... how will these sound compared to my Grado RS1i?  Hmmm ... In the past when I'd do Magnum builds, I only had the lower end Grados (SR-325) and below to compare a Magnum to.  Also, for the record, I did have a chance to listen to a pair of Allesandro MS-Pro headphones for several days once.  I remember at the time, I didn't feel as wowed by them and felt my Magnum at the time was a pretty good performer.  But, now, the RS1i that I have really provides great sound - and it seems much better than the MS-Pro that I had heard.  I'm wondering if the MS-Pro with the slightly bumped mids and toned down treble might have been what I didn't like as much.  However, the RS1i to me, has a much better upper frequency range when compared to some of the other lower Grados as the highs are smoother and tamed a bit, too.

I remember saying on more than one occasion, though, that if a person heard a pair of lower-end Grados but didn't like the piercing highs, then they should listen to a Magnum.  I guess time will tell and I'll be able to confirm if I'll still be able to repeat that statement, or if I'll need to revise it in any way.

Pictures of cups / drivers:

Picture of dark brown Anaconda stamped cow hide for potential headband modification: (Actually, when Grado first released the RS1, it had a brown head band and then they changed to black.  I believe the same is true for the SR-325 also.  The SR-325 "Goldies" that I had (not the "i" or the "is") had the brown band, too.)

Also, I've done leather headbands, while in place on the headphone such as the HifiMan I used to own.  Taking your time, spacing your stitching and using a lock stitch with a special needle (leather sewing needle fasted to a popsicle stick with super glue) is what is used for the sewing along with some heavier upholstery thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back