Grado modders go Magnum
Aug 21, 2013 at 4:54 PM Post #2,807 of 4,994
I've tried to find an answer for this - so I hope this isn't tedius.

1. I have owned SR60 and HF2 (which I regret selling at this point.)   
  3. Haven't liked the PS500 on audition enough to buy.  Didn't like the bass boost; would be perfect without that to me (relatively low distortion everywhere else and not "peaky")
  5. Thinking about doing a turbulent X set with a ~$400 budget (+ used SR60 for parts)

My main question is to try and find the latest thinking on using foam tape to secure the drivers to the aftermarket cups.  Is this part of the design or is this inferior to the drivers being glued to the cups?  Both Martin and Turbulent use foam strips it appears to me.

I have tried to look through thelostmidrange posts but a lot of have been edited to "..."    I would love to have a pair that performed like his senngrado from innerfidelity.  

Thanks in advance!

Aug 21, 2013 at 4:58 PM Post #2,808 of 4,994
The thought was that tape stops the drivers from communicating the "flavor" of the cups. It essentially isolates it from the wood. I used foam in my Cabillas/Magnum X build and sincerely loved the sound.

Aug 21, 2013 at 5:17 PM Post #2,809 of 4,994
Quote:
I
My main question is to try and find the latest thinking on using foam tape to secure the drivers to the aftermarket cups.  Is this part of the design or is this inferior to the drivers being glued to the cups?  Both Martin and Turbulent use foam strips it appears to me.

I have tried to look through thelostmidrange posts but a lot of have been edited to "..."    I would love to have a pair that performed like his senngrado from innerfidelity.  

Thanks in advance!

Thelostmidrange  said he tested cups that had a tight fit against others that used tape and found those that had a tight fit had better SQ. 

I've never done tests on this myself so I can't really say..........Though I am  leaning towards believing a tight fit is better.

Aug 22, 2013 at 2:59 AM Post #2,810 of 4,994
who here has the V4 and the V5? The X is the V5 right? i was really considering upgrading at some point. I have the V4 and am completely content. Was wondering if it was worth the time/effort/cash? Anyone care to break it down and analyze for me? thanks 

Aug 23, 2013 at 12:40 AM Post #2,811 of 4,994
Quote:
who here has the V4 and the V5? The X is the V5 right? i was really considering upgrading at some point. I have the V4 and am completely content. Was wondering if it was worth the time/effort/cash? Anyone care to break it down and analyze for me? thanks 

It's not an upgrade, more of a sidegrade at best. Some think that the v5 is actually a bit more colored than the v4/4.5, making the v4 more preferable to them.

I wouldn't waste your time/money/effort, to be honest.

Aug 23, 2013 at 8:24 AM Post #2,812 of 4,994
...but if you like a bit of color...

I liked mine because I enjoy a bit of that, but Chris is definitely right, they are not neutral at all.

Aug 23, 2013 at 12:48 PM Post #2,813 of 4,994
Hi guys. I'm looking to try out some magnums in my MS1000. If anyone has on older pair of drivers lying around. v2-v4 preferably, that they no longer want after upgrading, i'd give you a bit of cash for them. Thanks!

Aug 30, 2013 at 11:17 AM Post #2,814 of 4,994
I'm also looking for a pair of v.4 Magnum drivers.  I have a little project that I want to get started once again.  Thanks!

Also, looking for some unique wooden cups - even unfinished.  I realize there's an option of using Turbulent Labs - and, they have great looking cups, but I've also has some beauties in the past and can't figure out why the heck I sold them in the first place
confused.gif

Aug 30, 2013 at 12:58 PM Post #2,815 of 4,994
I think this might be worth mentioning.  Since it is back-to-school time, for anyone looking to do any wooden cup installations, you might want to check out the dollar stores.  It is during this time of year, the metal mesh pencil cups and paper trays are usually in stock.  Being able to buy these items for $1.00 sure beats paying $11.00 to buy a similar item from the office supply stores.

Aug 30, 2013 at 9:20 PM Post #2,816 of 4,994
I was looking through some of the older threads (1+ year ago) and it appears some of the members liked the heavier Grado cable (8 conductor) due to quality and sound.  I believe I have an idea that will work for those willing to achieve this option.  Grado sells their 15' extension cable for $39.00, or you might be able to find it for less if used.  The 15' cable could be cut to the desired length.  Then, one could remove about 1.5 feet of the rubber outer covering.  The wires could be separated (L+, L- and R+, R-).  Those wires for each respective side could be twisted and left bare, or covered in shrink tube to match the rest of the black-jacketed cable.

Here is the Grado 15' Extension Cable:

Here's the idea for twisting the wires that run to each cup, and covering them with shrink tube:

Also, I have a perfected method for transitioning between the heavier base cable and the cables that separate and run to the ear cups:  I've used a nylon spacer where I bored out the center a bit more to feed the conductors through.  I've then shot the chamber full of hot glue so the sleeve doesn't move, and keeps the cable secured.  I then cover the sleeve, and the cable ends that feed through the sleeve with shrink tube.

Aug 31, 2013 at 3:39 AM Post #2,818 of 4,994
Quote:
I don't think the extension cord is 8 conductor wje.

Really?  It's pretty heavy - just like the cable that comes on the upper end models - the GS1000, RS1i, etc.  Or, did Grado just use a heavier jacket for the cable to match the size of the headphone cable?  This is also the cable that Grado ships standard with the GS1000, PS1000 and RS1i models.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back