Grado modders go Magnum
Jun 21, 2013 at 8:01 PM Post #2,717 of 4,994
Quote:
That sounds really cool actually. I might have kept the X's if mine had more bass. The clarity, detail, and separation were phenomenal, but the bass wasn't there.

I get that lots of folks like bass but to me there's so much bass that with the thin pads it's so overpowering that it just dominates anything I listen to. It surprises me that many people who like grados would want any more bass, let alone describe it as lacking. The only thing I can think of is maybe there's some differences in the turbulent X drivers people are getting.

Jun 21, 2013 at 8:36 PM Post #2,719 of 4,994
Grados bass quantity is just right. Even my lowely sr60i can reach low enough to reproduce clean sub bass. Its not the deepest rumble, but it's there, and it's as articulate as the source material requires. 325i, and the magnums are more than adequate for bass needs. My main draw away from Grados is because I prefer the detail and separation of my pioneers over what grado offers.

Sent from my SPH-L300 using Tapatalk 2

Jun 21, 2013 at 9:37 PM Post #2,720 of 4,994
Quote:
Grados bass quantity is just right. Even my lowely sr60i can reach low enough to reproduce clean sub bass. Its not the deepest rumble, but it's there, and it's as articulate as the source material requires. 325i, and the magnums are more than adequate for bass needs. My main draw away from Grados is because I prefer the detail and separation of my pioneers over what grado offers.

Sent from my SPH-L300 using Tapatalk 2

I don't really know what bass needs are or if there is such a thing, but for me....I'd like to hear whats on my Cd's.

I was listening to Alan Parsons Sound check CD with my grado's and then on my friends system with a subwoofer and well there's so much on the low end that you never experience. 

Jun 21, 2013 at 9:56 PM Post #2,721 of 4,994
Quote:
I don't really know what bass needs are or if there is such a thing, but for me....I'd like to hear whats on my Cd's.

I was listening to Alan Parsons Sound check CD with my grado's and then on my friends system with a subwoofer and well there's so much on the low end that you never experience. 

That really is the reason anyone might be disappointed with Grado bass. I personally felt Grados had more than enough bass at one time, but then I got more familiar with some quality orthodynamic headphones. If you compare something like the HE-5LE to a Grado, it becomes very clear you're not hearing the lowest notes with Grados. If you have no point of reference like a full speaker setup or an ortho headphone, then you'd never know you were missing out. I didn't.

Jun 22, 2013 at 2:45 PM Post #2,723 of 4,994
Quote:
The original magnum was a modified 325i driver but I'm not sure about these.

The original Magnums were modified Grado 325 drivers liberated and housed in a metal (not plastic) inner cup. The also featured metal gimbals with slightly thicker rods (more friction in rod blocks) to compensate for the heavier weight vs. stock 325.

ORIGINAL MAGNUM HEADPHONES = MODIFIED 325

The current Magnum are not modified Grado drivers and have little relation to the original Magnum product in that they are only selling drivers and not modifying headphones. As such the final product will vary based on the various components and methods (cups, cables, housings, mounting technique etc) used to make the final headphones.

CURRENT MAGNUM DRIVERS

Jun 22, 2013 at 2:59 PM Post #2,724 of 4,994
Quote:
The original Magnums were modified Grado 325 drivers liberated and housed in a metal (not plastic) inner cup. The also featured metal gimbals with slightly thicker rods (more friction in rod blocks) to compensate for the heavier weight vs. stock 325.

ORIGINAL MAGNUM HEADPHONES = MODIFIED 325

The current Magnum are not modified Grado drivers and have little relation to the original Magnum product in that they are only selling drivers and not modifying headphones. As such the final product will vary based on the various components and methods (cups, cables, housings, mounting technique etc) used to make the final headphones.

CURRENT MAGNUM DRIVERS

Well, that leads me to ask those who feel a deep & punchy bass with their X drivers, what was the materials & technics they've used to build their Magnums? & if the can, add info about sources & amps.

I must be missing something if I barely noticing the bass (well it sounds like it came out of a smartphone speaker).

Thanks

Jun 22, 2013 at 3:14 PM Post #2,725 of 4,994
Quote:

Well, that leads me to ask those who feel a deep & punchy bass with their X drivers, what was the materials & technics they've used to build their Magnums? & if the can, add info about sources & amps.

I must be missing something if I barely noticing the bass (well it sounds like it came out of a smartphone speaker).

Thanks

That does not sound right! 
I'd seriously consider returning them to get checked or replaced, if that is an option.

Jun 23, 2013 at 7:46 AM Post #2,726 of 4,994
The thing is that if I try to correct with EQ, the bass is noticed but playing with the EQ affects the sound - less clearer, might be because the EQ cancels the bit-streaming I'm using in my environment.

Like I wrote before, I'm waiting for a DAC/AMP that can act as a reference for testing the source & smping - maybe it is a synergy problem (I doubt that but I have to verify).

Thanks

Jun 23, 2013 at 10:02 AM Post #2,727 of 4,994
Quote:

Thanks

Nothing special with my set up atm, Xonar STX to X drivers inside Vibro classic cups

Jul 5, 2013 at 10:29 PM Post #2,730 of 4,994
Looks like something new at Turbulent Labs drivers is here/coming. Had a look at their website and something called "Soundstage" is scheduled for release this month. Anyone have an idea what it is?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back