Grado modders go Magnum
Feb 16, 2013 at 10:34 AM Post #2,431 of 4,994
He'll also put on a smaller jack, and quote for Cardas wire if you email him (I checked him out before going with Chris). I went with Chris because I had heard good things about the cable he uses and the level of service Headphone Lounge gives. Unsolicited promo, done without coercion: I sincerely do not regret my decision.

Feb 16, 2013 at 12:21 PM Post #2,433 of 4,994
Quote:

Yeah I don't see why not? He's sure offering a cool service selling those!

If you need help doing the install, feel free to PM me. Those solder pads are really tricky because if you lift one, the driver is super dead.

Thanks Chris,
I am not going to do the solder myself. I saw the installation video, and it didn't look that difficult.
How do you lift the solder pads? too much heat? pulling the cables? I am worried now.
confused.gif

Edit:
By the way, Headphone Lounge/Turbulent have the best service I've seen. 

Feb 16, 2013 at 4:42 PM Post #2,434 of 4,994
Quote:

I love (to try) to educate interested people on this subject :p, I'm happy if all that helped you. What is special about the PS500 (and the HF-2) is that it has all the materials Grado ever used in their headphones in moderate amounts: black ABS plastic (gimbals, rodblocks and drivers), stainless steel (the gimbal rods and headband's arc), aluminum (cups), mahogany (inserts), foam (pads), leather (headband) and a bit of glue. Mash it in a bowl and eat good Grado salad! lol

Thank you you Have helped me so much ......  Amen to  Good food....for your ears ..lol  :)

Feb 16, 2013 at 4:53 PM Post #2,435 of 4,994
Quote:
The import tax will be between 100 to 150 GDP ( based on my own experience!).

GDP??   udo u mean GBP ??   so i will only save a small amount of money it looks like :frowning2:   Can i not have them sent to someone in states ie Martin re upgradin Gam/Rblocks... then if he sends to me... will i still have to pay  I.T  ?? 

Feb 16, 2013 at 6:44 PM Post #2,436 of 4,994
Quote:
Thanks Chris,
I am not going to do the solder myself. I saw the installation video, and it didn't look that difficult.
How do you lift the solder pads? too much heat? pulling the cables? I am worried now.
confused.gif

Edit:
By the way, Headphone Lounge/Turbulent have the best service I've seen. 

It's really awkward when you only know names and e-mail addresses and you meet someone who "knows" you on head-fi lol..

Um well solder pads are basically metal tabs that have a bubble of solder on them.. there is the voice coil of the drivers which... make the sound and then it's tucked into that solder blob and held in place via epoxy which also melts. So basically you risk burning that out with too much heat, which is then made even worse by the fact that the solder pad is merely held onto the driver with glue. When you apply too much heat, the glue sizzles and the solder pad moves around.. which is REAL scary considering how thin that voice coil wire is. Trust me, everybody in this thread has done this successfully, but it's not like you would ever want to go into something without knowing the risks right?

So just use high heat, be quick about it, and try to solder on the opposite end of the solder tab that you see the voice coil wire feed into and you'll be successful. I swear someone needs a video on how to do this..

Feb 16, 2013 at 7:13 PM Post #2,438 of 4,994
The second video down is kind of helpful:

http://turbulentlabs.com/film/view/

That said, I still chickened out and sent my drivers to Ted and Chris to solder the cable they made for me to them.

Feb 16, 2013 at 10:26 PM Post #2,440 of 4,994
This has all inspired though...I have some spare parts lying around now, and kind of want to do a little experimenting now...we'll see if work and parenting leave enough time for it...

Would be fun to re able my 225i drivers, and am still trying to think of the best way to angle into my father-in-laws formidably well-equipped workshop to make some cups.

Feb 17, 2013 at 5:51 AM Post #2,441 of 4,994
quick question; sorry if its off topic, PM answers are fine as to not disturb anything... Where is everyone getting their headbands from? There are some great ones here- if you bought your headband somewhere where you can buy more PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE let me know???

Feb 17, 2013 at 7:16 AM Post #2,442 of 4,994
Quote:
quick question; sorry if its off topic, PM answers are fine as to not disturb anything... Where is everyone getting their headbands from? There are some great ones here- if you bought your headband somewhere where you can buy more PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE let me know???

http://turbulentlabs.com/leather-manta-headbands/

Very very nice head bands

Feb 17, 2013 at 1:20 PM Post #2,443 of 4,994
Quote:
 GDP??   udo u mean GBP ??   so i will only save a small amount of money it looks like :frowning2:   Can i not have them sent to someone in states ie Martin re upgradin Gam/Rblocks... then if he sends to me... will i still have to pay  I.T  ?? 

Sorry I meant GBP.
I am not sure if you can avoid the import tax that way. You would still need to pay unless the headphones are repaired items that you sent from UK to US before (you need postal receipt to prove that). 

Feb 18, 2013 at 5:51 PM Post #2,445 of 4,994
Headphile had some for a while...not sure if they still do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back