Grado modders go Magnum
Feb 8, 2013 at 10:48 PM Post #2,386 of 4,994
I've been a Grado fan for a long time,  had magnum V2's and now V4's,  also the new V5 driver in various wooden cups.  I have tried every headphone I could afford but nothing came close to the magnum V2's except the V4's ,  my V2's had replacement drivers that I really suspect were NOS HP1000 drivers  The magnum X in wood is bad news folks,  almost am radio like,  just awful (mahogany, cocobola, limba.) Over the years I've tried every thing to get to that magic HP100/Magnum V2 sound.

Anyway the only headphone to come close to Grado realism was the HE-5LE,  but it shined this bright spot on the upper midrange,  it was like a pronounced glow,  nothing sharp just a tonal imbalance.

Well just last week I tried the HE-500,  this is it I think.  I know its the honeymoon period,  but these are like Grados without the distorted short cutted bass.  I really think I don't need Grados/magnums any longer,  technology has finally caught up to the foundation Joe Grado laid down many years ago,  finally someone built a modern headphone with Grado magic. The only problem is they take a healthly amplifier (and I like tubes $$$.)  So I am curious if anyone else has tried this headphone before I invest in an good tube amp for these orthos?

Feb 8, 2013 at 11:14 PM Post #2,387 of 4,994
catfish, could you clarify.....when you say your v2's  likely had hp1000 drivers....what does that mean? Are they still in your possession/can you post pics?  regarding the 500's. To me they didn't remind me of grados except maybe what you hear is that upper end shimmer in both and is what you like. So you're getting that shimmer without the grado shrillness and that may explain why you're feeling your getting an upgraded/modern grado, even though to be clear, isn't the planar technology even older than joe's invention.....I agree though the upper end cut glass sound of a grado is totally unacceptable. I'm surprised though you hear that with the v4's ?

Feb 9, 2013 at 1:36 PM Post #2,388 of 4,994
Well with my V2's they had a premature failure in one driver.  At the time Rydon was rumored to have been in possesion/contact with the original supplier of the HP1000 drivers and bought some of the remaining NOS (new old stock.)

He was really trying to get a foot hold in the headphone market but had no replacement V2's left,  so I believe when my driver went bad he sent me a pair of those NOS HP drivers as he didn't have anything else.  I can tell you they were by far the most neutral "grados" I had heard,  just effortless sounded nothing like subsequent magnums.  They were most similiar to MS-Pros but much cleaner and natural.  Unfortunately they were stolen.

I searched high and low and have tried it all but never could match the sound of those V2 "specials.".

The new hifi-mans just do everything we want Grado to do,  they are the only headphones that give me that true tone/live set  sound but without all the compromises.   The only compromise I can think of would be these orthos require a truly solid ampifier you simply can't evaluate them on low power.  I think that Audez/Hifiman took/succeeded in taking the market that Rydon was after,  he seems to have lost that opportunity. I honestly don't see myself returning to Grado or Magnum, unless Joe allows someone to reproduce the HP's.

Feb 9, 2013 at 2:45 PM Post #2,389 of 4,994
I think I know the driver you speak of. yes, they are different sig than any magnum. very resolved right> and that is also what the hifi/planar gives. I'd say stick with that if it speaks to your needs and search out a suitable amp as they do need a good one apparently. I never went that far into it but it may prove worthwhile. If you can solder there are lots of great DIY kits out there where you get alot of bang for your hard earned dollar. As far as planar/mag market share, I also agree the magnum tried to straddle the worlds of dynamic driver and the more resolved planar sound or at least tried to incorporate some type of smoothness resolution. I offered rhydon  my 3 cents and suggested he offer a couple different models, 3 actually, one that is super resolved that would compete with a planar, nuch like jo'es hp driver, one with his v4 sound but less color and third, his current bass emphasis with lots of color driver. Time will tell/fingers crossed

Feb 10, 2013 at 3:34 PM Post #2,390 of 4,994
Quote:
I've been a Grado fan for a long time,  had magnum V2's and now V4's,  also the new V5 driver in various wooden cups.  I have tried every headphone I could afford but nothing came close to the magnum V2's except the V4's ,  my V2's had replacement drivers that I really suspect were NOS HP1000 drivers  The magnum X in wood is bad news folks,  almost am radio like,  just awful (mahogany, cocobola, limba.) Over the years I've tried every thing to get to that magic HP100/Magnum V2 sound.

The V2s were still based of SR325(i) drivers, you were purchasing an "improving technique" applied to them, it was literally an upgrade. V3 and above versions are supposed to be superior to what preceded (my guess), but they are completely new drivers, and not based off SR325(i) anymore. So there is this dichotomy to consider...

I think I have the V2 Magnum aluminum inserts in my SR325is, it's crazy but that very aluminum piece (in contrast with the longer and thicker walled Magnum V4 chambers [with a "M" embossed]) seems to have been cut around the HP 1000 driver's dimensions. I haven't transplanted any yet, but from my measurements it looks to be a perfect, flush in every direction, fit. I'm glad you've confirmed me that they fit :D !

Quote:
Well with my V2's they had a premature failure in one driver.  At the time Rydon was rumored to have been in possesion/contact with the original supplier of the HP1000 drivers and bought some of the remaining NOS (new old stock.)

He was really trying to get a foot hold in the headphone market but had no replacement V2's left,  so I believe when my driver went bad he sent me a pair of those NOS HP drivers as he didn't have anything else.  I can tell you they were by far the most neutral "grados" I had heard,  just effortless sounded nothing like subsequent magnums.  They were most similiar to MS-Pros but much cleaner and natural.  Unfortunately they were stolen.

I searched high and low and have tried it all but never could match the sound of those V2 "specials.".

The new hifi-mans just do everything we want Grado to do,  they are the only headphones that give me that true tone/live set  sound but without all the compromises.   The only compromise I can think of would be these orthos require a truly solid ampifier you simply can't evaluate them on low power.  I think that Audez/Hifiman took/succeeded in taking the market that Rydon was after,  he seems to have lost that opportunity. I honestly don't see myself returning to Grado or Magnum, unless Joe allows someone to reproduce the HP's.

Yes Rhydon actually had at a point in time in his possession and tried/evaluated all the Primo range before the company stopped making drivers, the moderns ones, so from DH-40 to the DH-57 and -59.

I don't know the Primo model number of the HP 1000 drivers but I'm pretty sure it's not any of those I named, which are just the names of the first and last ones made that seem to be related or belong in the time period of the HP 1000 drivers. According to Rhydon the very HP 1000 drivers were the best sounding of the bunch.

I think Rhydon was quite a fan of Joe Grado and dissatisfied with the current John Grado offerings too, which is why he chosen to make Magnums out of metal and not out of Brooklyn Mahogany/Australian Jarrah, ABS plastic or other material.

Rhydon's drivers are supposed to be cleaner and more neutral than current Grado's; I think that's the whole rationale and why he began making them in the first place.

Feb 10, 2013 at 5:27 PM Post #2,391 of 4,994
Ted and you rock my world Chris...you both have a special place in my strange little heart because of how you've helped me with this build...

Turbulent Labs is selling the Magnum X or V5 now...I asked Rhydon if he had anything he was selling while Turbulent was out of stock a little while back and he referred me back to them saying they were now the official distributors of Symphones drivers...reviews are positive for the most part.

I sincerely actually forgot that Turbulent was doing Magnum stuff. Jin and I are under the same brand, but we're separate entities, we just work together to serve the same community. Well I hope you enjoy the cans, I'm actually curious about a set of drivers for myself :)

Feb 10, 2013 at 8:02 PM Post #2,392 of 4,994
Joe>Rhydon>John.

Just my .02. I think if Rhydon focused on a more flat driver he could probably blow Joe's out of the water.. I just don't like the overall tonality of his drivers as much as Joe's. Even though they have more detail and clarity.

Feb 10, 2013 at 9:10 PM Post #2,393 of 4,994
I sincerely actually forgot that Turbulent was doing Magnum stuff. Jin and I are under the same brand, but we're separate entities, we just work together to serve the same community. Well I hope you enjoy the cans, I'm actually curious about a set of drivers for myself :)

I can't either...but patience is a virtue. The build being finished hinges on Luke at Vibro sending Ted some foam strips...Luke has been a little swamped lately. No worries though, I am sure he will pull through soon enough.

Feb 11, 2013 at 2:55 PM Post #2,394 of 4,994
Quote:
Joe>Rhydon>John.

Just my .02. I think if Rhydon focused on a more flat driver he could probably blow Joe's out of the water.. I just don't like the overall tonality of his drivers as much as Joe's. Even though they have more detail and clarity.

Personally I think Joe's drivers got more details and clarity to them than at least the Magnum V4 that I have right now. It's bass is almost boomy (in comparison), obscuring and intrusive. It could be that I have the bassier Magnum V5 too though, Rhydon told me (when he refurbished my pair few months ago) they were "an improvement over the V4" but I didn't question him further about the meaning of that.

I agree to a certain extent with the people who say that Grados have a sparkle in their highs that gives the user the impression of details. With the HP 1000 on the other hand I just raise up the volume a bit and I can easily find flaws in the recording/engineering/mixing, the noise floors, slight pops, "bzzz" under the voice and other oddities in my songs that are virtually absent on all my other headphones, no matter how much I raise the volume.

I like to call the HP 1000 "the most electrostatic(-like) Grado" (lol Staxmafia don't slap me, I'm just referring to it's fairly decent resolution and cleanliness on CSD graphs which ultimately makes it the most detailed Grado for me).

Feb 11, 2013 at 5:37 PM Post #2,397 of 4,994
Glad to hear it about the V5. I need to talk to Chris_himself about getting a cable put on my drivers

It puts korean bbq on the table :)

PM/e-mail me at your leisure, I look forward to meeting you.

Feb 11, 2013 at 5:39 PM Post #2,398 of 4,994
Quote:
It puts korean bbq on the table
smily_headphones1.gif

PM/e-mail me at your leisure, I look forward to meeting you.

Awesome thanks! 

Feb 11, 2013 at 7:56 PM Post #2,399 of 4,994
Hi   Got a dilemma...... Do i Buys some Ps500 and get them modded up ... or do i have some built from scratch with V5 drivers in some nice burmese rosewood...upgraded headband etc................................. also what portable amp/dac .... Cmoy .... Matrix mini or  ?????? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back