Grado modders go Magnum
May 31, 2012 at 3:12 PM Post #1,561 of 4,994
I've heard people use electrical tape around the driver and then it fits snugly in the cup. One or two winds should do the trick.

May 31, 2012 at 10:32 PM Post #1,562 of 4,994
Quote:
I've heard people use electrical tape around the driver and then it fits snugly in the cup. One or two winds should do the trick.

It also depends on the driver itself.  If it was a Grado driver that was liberated from the plastic ring, then it has a little plastic ridge around the driver adding slightly to the diameter from where the driver / adhesive were pried apart.  New Magnum drivers, don't have this small amount of excess glue / plastic and might seem like they're a slight hair smaller in diameter.  But, yes, electrical tape can do wonders for fit.  Press fit, is usually the best as one never knows when they might need to get access to the backs of the driver in the future.

May 31, 2012 at 10:38 PM Post #1,563 of 4,994
Thanks guys, electrical tape it is.

Jun 1, 2012 at 8:10 PM Post #1,566 of 4,994
Quote:
I'm wondering: does anyone sleep with full aluminum Magnum Grado's? Anyone tried? Is it too heavy on the head? And, please, which pads are the best (most confortable) to sleep with?
Thanks for the help!

yeah, it's gonna be pretty tricky. but, you could move the headband up onto your forehead. That's how I slept with them (before I moved to limba cups). most comfortable pads are prolly the comfies, but I have always favored bowls for comfort and sound. I'm an oddball there though. 

Jun 1, 2012 at 8:50 PM Post #1,567 of 4,994
Quote:
alternatively, try nothing. That's generally what I use :)

very interested in those pads jin.. Anyway I could get you to PM me a picture? I'm mad curious, and I won't share.

I am still discussing the making of the pads with the manufacturer and will be meeting him again on the 9th of june. Will probably only be able to get a machined set of pads fingers crossed mid or end june if everything goes well =) will post pics when i get them =)

Cheers,

Jin

Jun 5, 2012 at 2:55 AM Post #1,568 of 4,994
Bought these MCA Hawaiian KOA Magnum V4s from Jason36 this week......

According to Jason they've only seen about 20 hours use, so i'm burning them in a bit more right now. Really enjoying them out of my DX100. So clean and dynamic sounding. A nice alternative to the HE-500. I've just ordered a Onyx Manta headband from Jin for them.

Jun 6, 2012 at 5:10 PM Post #1,569 of 4,994
This picture was posted some time ago, but now that I just got my replacement L-cushes from TTVJ, it got me to thinking about this whole "authentic" vs. "clone" argument as far as the pads on Magnums and Grados go. Now, this issue doesn't bother me over much since I guess I haven't actually heard the "authentic" pads (the ones on the right). However, I am curious now. What store, if any can consistently claim to sell "authentic" pads? I tried B&H and TTVJ. Both gave me the "clones."

Quote:

Jun 6, 2012 at 5:45 PM Post #1,570 of 4,994
This is where I got my Grados, I believe they only sell Grado brand authentic stuff, and from the pictures they look like the one on the right, with the bevel and different texture at the back.
http://goodcans.com/HeadphoneStore/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=8

Jun 6, 2012 at 7:12 PM Post #1,571 of 4,994
Thanks scootsit! Time to order some and see if they really are better...
Quote:
This is where I got my Grados, I believe they only sell Grado brand authentic stuff, and from the pictures they look like the one on the right, with the bevel and different texture at the back.
http://goodcans.com/HeadphoneStore/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=8

Jun 8, 2012 at 11:37 PM Post #1,573 of 4,994
Quote:
I am still discussing the making of the pads with the manufacturer and will be meeting him again on the 9th of june. Will probably only be able to get a machined set of pads fingers crossed mid or end june if everything goes well =) will post pics when i get them =)

Cheers,

Jin

Thanks for keeping us updated, I look forward to seeing what you produce!

Is it true that the Magnum drivers are ceasing production? If so, I'd be quite disappointed! I was going to purchase some next month... :/

If it's true, I may have to move to the fostex modding thread! o.O

Jun 8, 2012 at 11:43 PM Post #1,574 of 4,994
Quote:

Is it true that the Magnum drivers are ceasing production? If so, I'd be quite disappointed! I was going to purchase some next month... :/

There may still be some available. Last I heard, Rhydon had enough for two full builds left. Contact him, he may have additional drivers.

Jun 9, 2012 at 1:07 AM Post #1,575 of 4,994
Quote:

WUT

Users who are viewing this thread

Back