Grado modders go Magnum
Jun 13, 2012 at 11:10 PM Post #1,591 of 4,994
Quote:
oh, okay .. I don't know, I just love these headphones so much, I would be really bummed if something happened and I couldn't recreate them somehow.

And, that is why the HifiMAN HE-400s were invented.  
biggrin.gif

Leather headband, pleather ear pads, lots of cable options, 50mm drivers and a "similar" Magnum sound, but with more bass.  
wink.gif

Jun 13, 2012 at 11:30 PM Post #1,592 of 4,994
I have JH13 and T50RP to hold me over.  But when I want to rock out, I do miss it already. 

Quote:
That's unfortunate. I'm sure Rhydon will support you, but even so, it sucks that you have to be without them for a while

Quote:

biggrin.gif

Leather headband, pleather ear pads, lots of cable options, 50mm drivers and a "similar" Magnum sound, but with more bass.  
wink.gif

I wish I had tried the HifiMan Orthodynamic series instead of trying the LCD-2.  I just found the LCD-2 too dark (especially in the upper midrange) for rock.   Which is why I turned to the T50RP.   I think if the T50RP were open headphones, it would be my favorite.  As far as the HifiMAN HE-400 goes, is it midcentric like the T50RP?
I guess I'm a midrangehead.   

Jun 13, 2012 at 11:33 PM Post #1,593 of 4,994
One day, I want to get my hands on a pair of T50RPs or T20RPs, I hear it's the same driver and rip em to pieces and rebuild em. They look like so much fun to mod...but I've spent enough money on headphones for now.

Jun 14, 2012 at 1:19 AM Post #1,594 of 4,994
Quote:

biggrin.gif

wink.gif

http://tgas.winbootsugg.com/hifiman-he400-planar-driver-high-efficiency-headphones-electronics_p374.html?offer_id=B007ZG32I4

are these from a legit source?

Jun 14, 2012 at 9:17 AM Post #1,595 of 4,994
Jun 14, 2012 at 9:31 AM Post #1,596 of 4,994
Fitted my Headphone Lounge Manta Onyx headband, very nice.
Just waiting for my 414 Black pads to arrive now.

Jun 14, 2012 at 4:00 PM Post #1,598 of 4,994
And, that is why the HifiMAN HE-400s were invented.  :D

Leather headband, pleather ear pads, lots of cable options, 50mm drivers and a "similar" Magnum sound, but with more bass.  :wink:

I don't want a similar sound. I want my limba magnums. :D if they die... I will certainly be sad for a long while. I'd try Hifiman, but I don't know...

Jun 14, 2012 at 7:49 PM Post #1,600 of 4,994
Quote:

That Web site requires you to become a member.  Also, remember the rule ... "If it seems too good to be true ..."

I mean I don't know man I've snagged some swell deals in my time 

Jun 15, 2012 at 12:22 PM Post #1,602 of 4,994
I am desperate to get hold of some magnum driver, i intend on making my own phones from scratch (minus headband and drivers), I have some designs for a steampunk inspired headphone, but still with the Grado simplicity.
I sure hope I can get hold of some drivers, I contacted ryhdon with my fingers legs and ultrasones crossed...

Jun 16, 2012 at 10:02 AM Post #1,604 of 4,994
Quote:
I was under the impression that the HIFIMAN HE Series were really neutral and uncolored.  

Not entirely true.  The HE-400 has a bit of an emphasized lower end for a great bass input.  Some classify the headphone as "dark" sounding.  Also, some of us with the newest of the new HE-400s are speculating a revision has occurred, but never announced.  Tyll has also detected this on his pair of HE-400s that were sent to him for a review a couple of months back.  The upper frequencies are displaying a bit of tilt, which now contributes to the detail edge, more along the lines of what Grado offers.

The HE-500 and the HE-5LE (that I previously owned) were really headphones that were closer to neutral.  With the HE-500s, I do fiddle a bit with the variable loudness feature on my Yamaha amp to tune in a sound that I tend to prefer a bit more to my tastes.

To some degree, I want to get my feet wet again with some Grados or Magnums.  I just have to keep my eyes open for the right time to strike.  Owning the HifiMAN headphones has been a real eye-opener when it comes to looking for a good amp and whether it is fully neutral or offering some color to it.  Armed with this newer knowledge, brings about the Grado desire.  I feel sort of convinced that my previous shortcomings on the Grado end that were experienced could potentially be changed by bringing the right amp to the party.  
beerchug.gif

Jun 17, 2012 at 1:41 AM Post #1,605 of 4,994
Not entirely true.  The HE-400 has a bit of an emphasized lower end for a great bass input.  Some classify the headphone as "dark" sounding.  Also, some of us with the newest of the new HE-400s are speculating a revision has occurred, but never announced.  Tyll has also detected this on his pair of HE-400s that were sent to him for a review a couple of months back.  The upper frequencies are displaying a bit of tilt, which now contributes to the detail edge, more along the lines of what Grado offers.

The HE-500 and the HE-5LE (that I previously owned) were really headphones that were closer to neutral.  With the HE-500s, I do fiddle a bit with the variable loudness feature on my Yamaha amp to tune in a sound that I tend to prefer a bit more to my tastes.

To some degree, I want to get my feet wet again with some Grados or Magnums.  I just have to keep my eyes open for the right time to strike.  Owning the HifiMAN headphones has been a real eye-opener when it comes to looking for a good amp and whether it is fully neutral or offering some color to it.  Armed with this newer knowledge, brings about the Grado desire.  I feel sort of convinced that my previous shortcomings on the Grado end that were experienced could potentially be changed by bringing the right amp to the party.  :beerchug:

It's hard to give up on Grado. And it's always nice to have options :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back