Grado modders go Magnum
Jun 21, 2012 at 8:43 AM Post #1,621 of 4,994
Quote:

.  To 3 or 4 of us, we felt that the flats really made the Magnum sound dark. 

not in my house
biggrin.gif

seriously: i don´t think that the magnum(3.5 or 4) with the flats is dark

Jun 21, 2012 at 10:06 AM Post #1,622 of 4,994
Quote:
not in my house
biggrin.gif

seriously: i don´t think that the magnum(3.5 or 4) with the flats is dark

I agree, with the flats, they sound damn near perfect! Granted, these are the best pair of cans I've ever had, so who knows what perfect means.
I have the V4 full Magnums. Maybe the difference is aluminum vs wood?

Jun 21, 2012 at 12:48 PM Post #1,624 of 4,994
Hey guys. I'll be joining the Magnum community very soon. I just ordered a pair of Magnum drivers from Rhydon, as well as a SR60. This will actually be my first pair of Grado headphones, after a 2 year hiatus from Head-fi. The last pair of headphones I bought were Fostex T20v2s, driven out of a AMB Gamma Y1 DAC and Schitt Asgard headphone amp. 

I mostly listen to Classical, Jazz, Electronica (so basically Dubstep), and a lot of Asian music (Kpop, Jpop, Cpop, Jrock, etc etc). While I figure the that the Grado's may not be the perfect match for Classical or Jazz, it'll definitely give a different flavor when compared to the other headphones I have.

Shoutout to Chris_Himself. He basically convinced and reassured me that Grados would be a great headphone for getting back into Head-fi. Very nice guy, gave very thorough, well thought out responses to my questions. Thanks Chris for your help! I'm definitely looking forward to the Grado experience!

Jun 22, 2012 at 2:23 AM Post #1,627 of 4,994
Quote:
There is however, absolutely nothing wrong with Aesthetics. 
M4 drivers in mahogany inner chambers, Alessandro cups Marty's hardware and Headphonelounge headband.

really nice
and the sound?

Jun 22, 2012 at 2:49 AM Post #1,628 of 4,994
Too early to say.
These drivers have less than 50 hours on them. The last set didn't settle down until after 200 hours. So far, its typical, with a forward treble, but that usually settles down after 100 hours and then the bass starts to come out. It will be interesting to see how they compare with the all aluminum which have almost 150 hours on a set of drivers from the same batch.
It's amazing though how well these are matched from the start, zero imbalance. this is awesome because i am super sensitive to that, my head starts to lean to one side.
ksc75smile.gif

Jun 22, 2012 at 3:00 AM Post #1,629 of 4,994
Quote:
Too early to say.
These drivers have less than 50 hours on them. The last set didn't settle down until after 200 hours. So far, its typical, with a forward treble, but that usually settles down after 100 hours and then the bass starts to come out. It will be interesting to see how they compare with the all aluminum which have almost 150 hours on a set of drivers from the same batch.
It's amazing though how well these are matched from the start, zero imbalance. this is awesome because i am super sensitive to that, my head starts to lean to one side.
ksc75smile.gif

i´m really curious, i lke the alluminium with wood chamber.
keep us updated and enjoy your magnum

Jun 22, 2012 at 3:13 AM Post #1,630 of 4,994
I have also been working on adapting the HM5 pads to work with the Grado cups. Wayne should appreciate this, the pad stuffing (to stretch them out a bit) make a big difference to the bass quality/quantity. I have them dialed in with the 3.5 drivers but the 4's still sound too muddy in the bass. I will post pictures once I figure it out. But here is what they look like. Not bad for $17 shipped. Make sure to order two as they only sell singles (What)
confused_face(1).gif

Jun 22, 2012 at 3:42 AM Post #1,631 of 4,994
what are your favorite cables guys? My 8 conductor grado cable is starting to piss me off with the twisting. I'm ready for my main set to be 100% non grado, apart from the pads.. 

Jun 26, 2012 at 2:10 AM Post #1,632 of 4,994
Quote:
what are your favorite cables guys? My 8 conductor grado cable is starting to piss me off with the twisting. I'm ready for my main set to be 100% non grado, apart from the pads.. 

Mogami Quad Neglex terminated with a 1/4" Neutrik connector at the end.  You can buy the "pants" to make the "Y" or yoke connector, or you can get crafty with shrink tube and build your own.  The idea is to have everything as even as possible before you set the shrink tube into place and apply the heat.  This might mean using a few small layers of electrical tape to seal up  your solder connections to build the area that was soldered up and out to the thickness of the regular cable.  Once that is done, you can apply the shrink tube for a pretty neat "Y" connector.

Jul 4, 2012 at 2:44 PM Post #1,633 of 4,994
Hey guys, Just wanted to say what great work you've got on here.

I'm personally looking to build some full metal Magnums. I've sourced the inner sleeves, but am having trouble finding someone with the brushed aluminum cups. Anyone know where I can get one?

I hope to be joining you shortly! Just trying to get the parts together.

Jul 4, 2012 at 3:21 PM Post #1,634 of 4,994
I really like the flats on the v4 Magnum, but they are in the full aluminum shells. that might make a difference vs shells with wood and aluminium combos.

it does make them a bit dark (or “rich” if you want to spin it another way :), but I find they lack a leeetle too much bass with bowls. So I guess I prefer the flats

Jul 5, 2012 at 4:26 PM Post #1,635 of 4,994
Quote:
Hey guys, Just wanted to say what great work you've got on here.

I'm personally looking to build some full metal Magnums. I've sourced the inner sleeves, but am having trouble finding someone with the brushed aluminum cups. Anyone know where I can get one?

I hope to be joining you shortly! Just trying to get the parts together.

good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back