Grado modders go Magnum
May 23, 2012 at 11:43 AM Post #1,517 of 4,994
If you want my 2 cents, I think your money is better spent on source rather than amp. Of all the amps i have my favorite set up for the Magnums is straight out of the HO of the HM-603. You can get these for $300 - $400 (new/used) and the DAC stage can be used with your computer or as a stand alone player, and the warmish sound signature pairs well with the Magnums.
Quote:
So while we're on the topic of Magnum amplification, I'm wondering if anyone out there can comment on pairing with Schiit amps (such as the Asgard or even the Vahlhalla). I built my first pair of Mags (thanks to you guys!) and I'm beginning the search for my ideal pairing. Anyway, I've heard Schiit amps pair well with Grados. Would the same logic apply to the Magnums to some extent?

May 23, 2012 at 11:59 AM Post #1,518 of 4,994
If there's distortion, I'm not hearing it. I didn't think output impedance had anything to do with distortion. I thought it had to do with impulse response and phase. Correct me if I'm wrong. It sounds to me like people would rather nitpick about distortion that you might never notice than actually enjoying the music.

May 23, 2012 at 12:00 PM Post #1,519 of 4,994
Another option would be any homemade DAC. The Gamma1/2 from AMB is supposed to be great. The Gamma1 can be built for under $100. If you only need computer, the Odac can be had for about $100, the grubDAC for about $35, skeletonDAC for $20

May 23, 2012 at 12:03 PM Post #1,520 of 4,994
My mistake, it was an issue of over-dampening that was discussed by Dsavtik and Tomb elsewhere.

Nevertheless, I cannot really comment, as I have never owned a O2, nor a Szerkres for that matter. Though I would likely build the latter before the former, not because there is anything wrong with the O2, but because I only have low-impedance headphones and the Szerkeres is less expensive and could better drive low-impedance headphones.

My intention was not to imply that there was anything wrong with the O2, but rather that if you are looking to drive only low-impedance cans, there may be cheaper and perhaps more capable options around.

That said, Sluker's point is perhaps the best of all of ours. I frequently question whether the massive improvements I hear are because of my amp or my DAC that is within it. I have frequently considered a comparison, then gotten engrossed in music and decided I really didn't care.

Finally, I just (within the past five mins) received my full mags. I'll report back.

May 23, 2012 at 1:32 PM Post #1,521 of 4,994
Ah okay. I didn't consider getting a new source. I'll definitely look into that. I had originally planned on just getting a standalone DAC (the Bifrost) and plugging it into my pc. I guess "cutting out the middleman" would work too! Thanks.
Quote:
If you want my 2 cents, I think your money is better spent on source rather than amp. Of all the amps i have my favorite set up for the Magnums is straight out of the HO of the HM-603. You can get these for $300 - $400 (new/used) and the DAC stage can be used with your computer or as a stand alone player, and the warmish sound signature pairs well with the Magnums.

May 24, 2012 at 6:35 PM Post #1,522 of 4,994
I am constantly amazed at how little power it takes to drive the magnums (to sane listening levels). I just got a clip Zip ($35 on Newegg was too good to pass up) and it's amazing how good this tiny piece of plastic sounds with theses headphones. With 32 gb cards at $25 these days I can have a $60 FLAC player that IMO has a sound signature which fits much better with the Magnums than any ipod, plus the battery life is something like 20 hours.

May 25, 2012 at 11:53 AM Post #1,523 of 4,994
Be careful when buying wooden cups off of eBay ...

BEWARE!  The individual, Farvekiln, is actually JSChristian44 - who was a Member of the Trade here on this form with the company: Justin's Headphone Modding.

This person is now banned on this forum, and in the feedback on eBay under JSChristian44, has a lot of negative claims where people who purchased his Fostex T50RP "Maplepants" headphones have been requesting 100% refunds because of the junk that was built.  Additionally, his reason for being banned on this site is because he's collected cash (PayPal) and / or headphones to modify for other members and basically disappeared.  He's actually in Alaska for the summer doing some work, but it doesn't look good for most of the people who have paid him for work because he asked for PayPal "Gift" payments.

May 25, 2012 at 11:57 AM Post #1,524 of 4,994

That is so sad to hear.
frown.gif

May 25, 2012 at 12:03 PM Post #1,525 of 4,994
Heh, thanks for the warning.  He actually msged me and said he could build me a set of Magnum's, but I was leary about him anyways.  Sad to hear another Bilavideo all over again.
Quote:

BEWARE!  The individual, Farvekiln, is actually JSChristian44 - who was a Member of the Trade here on this form with the company: Justin's Headphone Modding.

This person is now banned on this forum, and in the feedback on eBay under JSChristian44, has a lot of negative claims where people who purchased his Fostex T50RP "Maplepants" headphones have been requesting 100% refunds because of the junk that was built.  Additionally, his reason for being banned on this site is because he's collected cash (PayPal) and / or headphones to modify for other members and basically disappeared.  He's actually in Alaska for the summer doing some work, but it doesn't look good for most of the people who have paid him for work because he asked for PayPal "Gift" payments.

May 25, 2012 at 12:06 PM Post #1,526 of 4,994
He was contacting me last week attempting to sell me an O2 build.  And then another amp.  He was way too agressive in his sales pitches (which is always a sign of trouble) so I turned him down.  Glad I did. 

When will people learn about sending PP gift payments? 

May 25, 2012 at 1:06 PM Post #1,527 of 4,994
Too late, I sent him $35 for some cups and baffles two weeks ago for the T50's. No communication since then and no cups. I sent him an email but if I do not hear anything by Monday I will initiate a claim. I did not gift so i still have 30 days to do a claim.
Quote:

May 25, 2012 at 1:10 PM Post #1,528 of 4,994
I don't mean to tell you your business, but if I were you, I'd initiate that claim today.  There is no further proof required to know he is a scammer.  The sooner his PP account gets shut down, the better it is for those who may yet send him funds.

May 25, 2012 at 1:21 PM Post #1,529 of 4,994
In his last PM to me (on the 10th) he said he was going to be out of town until June or so I want to give him time to fix things. But if I don't hear anything by Monday i certainly will initiate a claim.
Quote:
I don't mean to tell you your business, but if I were you, I'd initiate that claim today.  There is no further proof required to know he is a scammer.  The sooner his PP account gets shut down, the better it is for those who may yet send him funds.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back