Grado modders go Magnum
Feb 7, 2012 at 12:47 PM Post #1,081 of 4,994

Me too. Its my first set of Magnums, so I am waiting to confirm the hype!

I should have them by the end of the week, so I know what I'm doing this weekend.
Quote:
Very very beautiful headphone Martin did for you. Love the Amobyna Burl wood. I also like the Low profile.  Waiting for the sound impression now. 
basshead.gif

Feb 7, 2012 at 1:57 PM Post #1,082 of 4,994

Some dubstep can be really good. Flux Pavillion makes some good tracks. Tetris, Big Boss, I cant stop to name a few.
Quote:
I sent him a bunch of Viablue sleeving, so I believe you're using dat high quality German stuff mang :)

I'm not associated with Ohrenholz for the record, I just like bumpin' a good product as a user of the same stuff I talk about, and his is up there. Poor guy does cups and mag builds and can't even talk about his experiences haha. 

Good thing if you talk about cables here you just get trolled to death, I'm not missing out on anything LOL.

By the way:

Does anybody listen to Dubstep on these? Before you give me that look through your computer monitor, I don't like the genre either but it sounds really dope on magnums. So full of life!

To be fair, stock RS-2's rock my cranium big time also.

Feb 7, 2012 at 8:28 PM Post #1,083 of 4,994

Quote:

Oh boy I want to buy another pair now....  Hey Twinster how do you like gabon ebony? I think it is the most beautiful wood. It's super dense correct so it would perform more like aluminum?
And Opiy, do you know what kind of cable sheathing that is? I can just ask Sylvan if you don't.

Quote:
Wonderful work folks :)

Thats a really dope sleeving Opiy, I think I know where he got that mehehehe

Yes it is some great lookin stuff I think 
biggrin.gif
 Now I guess that at some point Sylvan told me what it was in the many emails exchanged but I don't remember. It seems Chris has a little bit involved in the creation of these headphones which is cool knowing that hobbyists are creating a superior product (or at least as far as I am concerned). Sleeving was something I really wanted because I knew I didn't want a plain black boring cable.

Feb 7, 2012 at 8:35 PM Post #1,084 of 4,994

Quote:
Well Martin has finished my Magnum V4 build consisting of:

Full size low profile wooden cups in Hawaiian KOA
Silver Stranded Coated Copper 22AWG Cable with 3.5mm plug
Aluminium Gimbal
and of course Magnum V4 Drivers

They haven't arrived here yet but these are the Pics 
beyersmile.png

Quote:
Marty posted pics of mine finally. I have to say, he did an awesome job. I also haven't received them yet, all I have is the photos for now.

Amobyna Burl Low Profile Widemouth cups
Amboyna/Ebony blocks/y-splitter
Magnum V4 drivers
OCC Copper in Dark Bronze
Aluminum Gimbals
Jmoney V3 headband
Neutrik connection hardware (fast switch 1/8 plugs on the cups)

Boy those aluminum gimbals just add icing on the cake. They look super good and just make the look of those headphones. 
beerchug.gif

Feb 7, 2012 at 10:05 PM Post #1,085 of 4,994

Quote:
Me too. Its my first set of Magnums, so I am waiting to confirm the hype!

I should have them by the end of the week, so I know what I'm doing this weekend.

What will you be doing?  Breaking them in?  
tongue_smile.gif

Just take a quick cable and solder the leads to the tabs and hook it up to your source, put it on repeat and don't touch 'em for about 2 days.  Then, proceed with the retrofit, put on head, apply your favorite music and enjoy.

Feb 7, 2012 at 11:01 PM Post #1,086 of 4,994
Sorry I forgot to reply to your comments 
tongue_smile.gif
 I very like the look of the Black Ebony. To be honest I didn't expect much of a sound impact because my magnum has the Symphones aluminum chamber so the cups are just slip-on cups but my problem is that they do not go deep enough on the chamber and I have to bore more wood out to allow a deeper fit. And let me tell you that Ebony is very hard. My Dremmel is working hard.  I'll try to post update pictures later when I'm done.

Quote:

Oh boy I want to buy another pair now....  Hey Twinster how do you like gabon ebony? I think it is the most beautiful wood. It's super dense correct so it would perform more like aluminum?
And Opiy, do you know what kind of cable sheathing that is? I can just ask Sylvan if you don't.

Feb 8, 2012 at 1:18 AM Post #1,087 of 4,994

Quote:
Sorry I forgot to reply to your comments 
tongue_smile.gif
 I very like the look of the Black Ebony. To be honest I didn't expect much of a sound impact because my magnum has the Symphones aluminum chamber so the cups are just slip-on cups but my problem is that they do not go deep enough on the chamber and I have to bore more wood out to allow a deeper fit. And let me tell you that Ebony is very hard. My Dremmel is working hard.  I'll try to post update pictures later when I'm done.

Awesome! I would love to make some like those you have. Can't wait to see the finished product

Feb 8, 2012 at 7:04 AM Post #1,088 of 4,994
Please, 

I'm looking everywhere and can't seem to find out "where" does the Magnum sound drives (all versions) come from! Does anyone knows, please?

I mean, all Magnum drives (from what I could figure reading Symphonies website) are Grado SR325i drives with their diaphragm recoated on a new solution and with it's body mass reduced (leaving everything else on the drive, inclusive original Magnet intact), just that, right?
If that's the case: Them Symphonies got to buy a new SR325i for every Magnum, just to extract the drives, since they don't use any drives from costumer's headphones. Woudn't that be economicaly unpractical for them? Really.
Or they have someway to buy only the SR325i  drives directly with Grado, or something like that?

Last, some ofthe aluminum pieces they use are identical to the ones found on old Grado HP1 (or HP 1000), can anyone confirm if they use parts from these old headphones?

Hope you can answer my questions, since I bought a pair of Magnums V4, but know too little about "REALLY where does everything comes from" in it (specialy the drives). And while they DO sound great to me  and all that, I really like to know ALL (I can) about my audiophile equipament... Specialy such a good one!

Thanks for the help!

Feb 8, 2012 at 10:35 AM Post #1,089 of 4,994
The new drivers from Symphones are not from a SR325 or MS2 anymore. They have their own drivers made to their specifications. The aluminum parts are also made for them and they are not exactly the same as the older Grado. The Symphones.ca website is very outdated. 

If you have more questions just send an email to Rhydon  rhydon@symphones.ca
Quote:
Please, 

I'm looking everywhere and can't seem to find out "where" does the Magnum sound drives (all versions) come from! Does anyone knows, please?

I mean, all Magnum drives (from what I could figure reading Symphonies website) are Grado SR325i drives with their diaphragm recoated on a new solution and with it's body mass reduced (leaving everything else on the drive, inclusive original Magnet intact), just that, right?
If that's the case: Them Symphonies got to buy a new SR325i for every Magnum, just to extract the drives, since they don't use any drives from costumer's headphones. Woudn't that be economicaly unpractical for them? Really.
Or they have someway to buy only the SR325i  drives directly with Grado, or something like that?

Last, some ofthe aluminum pieces they use are identical to the ones found on old Grado HP1 (or HP 1000), can anyone confirm if they use parts from these old headphones?

Hope you can answer my questions, since I bought a pair of Magnums V4, but know too little about "REALLY where does everything comes from" in it (specialy the drives). And while they DO sound great to me  and all that, I really like to know ALL (I can) about my audiophile equipament... Specialy such a good one!

Thanks for the help!

Feb 8, 2012 at 11:09 AM Post #1,090 of 4,994

Quote:
The new drivers from Symphones are not from a SR325 or MS2 anymore. They have their own drivers made to their specifications. The aluminum parts are also made for them and they are not exactly the same as the older Grado. The Symphones.ca website is very outdated. 

If you have more questions just send an email to Rhydon  rhydon@symphones.ca

If he's making the new drives, what are it's specifications?
Is making dynamic drives so easy (I'm not saying making good ones are, just talking about the generic proceure to make a sound drive for a headphone) that you can easly make it at home? I always tought the process would need some heavy machinery and etc.

Feb 8, 2012 at 11:26 AM Post #1,091 of 4,994

Quote:
If he's making the new drives, what are it's specifications?
Is making dynamic drives so easy (I'm not saying making good ones are, just talking about the generic proceure to make a sound drive for a headphone) that you can easly make it at home? I always tought the process would need some heavy machinery and etc.

Have you looked at the website at all. Rhydon is not a guy working from home building these headphones.....He has a company called Symphone and they have their own premises in Canada. This is a proper company employing a number of people I believe some of whom will be involved in Research and Development. Don't quote me on this but Symphone probably do not manufacture the drivers themselves in-house, but like a lot of small businesses out source the manufacture to a sub-contract manufacturing company. I wouldn't say you would need heavy machinery, but would assume that the drivers are probably manufactured within a "clean room" environment.

Also bear in mind that they do not just supply the drivers now......symphone can pretty much supply any part of the headphone, including drivers with or without the aluminium casings, rod blocks, gimbals, headrests and even Magnum "M" buttons to go on the driver casing mesh.

As mentioned before you are best to email Rhydon for details re specifications......obviously he wouldn't give you anything commercially sensitive.

Feb 8, 2012 at 1:46 PM Post #1,092 of 4,994
Ok. How 'Gradoish' are this new V4 driver them? I never had a vanilla Grado and would really like to know... 

Also, how does Symphonies V4's fare against RS1i and Grado Professional (PS) line? Anyone did a "neutral" (or, even blind) test/comparision?

Again, thanks for the info!

Feb 8, 2012 at 9:11 PM Post #1,094 of 4,994

Quote:
Ok. How 'Gradoish' are this new V4 driver them? I never had a vanilla Grado and would really like to know... 

Also, how does Symphonies V4's fare against RS1i and Grado Professional (PS) line? Anyone did a "neutral" (or, even blind) test/comparision?

Again, thanks for the info!

I've never heard them but a lot of people like the V4 more than the RS1i and I'm not sure about the PS, GS lines. It's been mentioned before in this or a similar thread but I don't remember. Somebody will probably chime in soon with their input.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back