Grado modders go Magnum
Feb 9, 2012 at 8:25 AM Post #1,097 of 4,994

Quote:
Cab, have a look at the following thread, this could be interesting to you. thelostMIDrange has been experimenting a lot with different woods and cup geometry.

--> cup tuning basics

Thanks, i dont know if i understand all, what kind of wood think you is better?, and what model of body?. I have draw this:

The circles are posibilities, what do you think?

Music for all.

Feb 9, 2012 at 12:32 PM Post #1,098 of 4,994

Quote:
 Thanks, i dont know if i understand all, what kind of wood think you is better?, and what model of body?. I have draw this:

The circles are posibilities, what do you think?

Music for all.

thelostMIDrange has tested various cup depths and has come to the conclusion that depths of 1.125 to 1.250", that is about 29 to 31mm, sounded best. The woods that he prefers are limba, tiger maple and honduran mahogani. In that order. What he also found essential was that the walls should be kept rather thin and curved, as you can see in the image below. He also believes that finishes, outside and inside matter very much. Maybe he will chime in and let us read about his latest findings.

I have listened to limba cups myself, although they do not have the thin, curved design. Yet I must say I was impressed by the full and voluminous lower frequencies. None of my other wood cups have this signature. I can only agree with him, wood species and wood geometry do make a difference and people should not just buy wood cups for their fancy looks. I personally have come to dislike woods like cocobolo or rosewood, they simply sound less good to my ears. 

Feb 9, 2012 at 12:51 PM Post #1,099 of 4,994
I will agree with the above 100%
I have heard the latest version of thelostMidrange's cups in both maple and Limba and they are both superior in sound to the original cup size and design which I have in Limba and Mahogany and also better than Aluminum (which I also have) to my ears.
I have only heard the raw wood versions of the new cup designs and of the two I prefer the maple by a small margin primarily because it has better bass extension (again only slightly).
I will send these back to get the finish done and can report back once I hear the finished versions.
One thing to keep in mind is that the new cup design will require longer pins on all the gimbals currently available but that is an easy mod. If you need to know how to do it let me know and I will post some instructions and pictures.

Feb 9, 2012 at 1:10 PM Post #1,100 of 4,994
I'm probably going to go ahead and order a pair of magnums this week. Does anyone know how Wenge sounds with these? I'm not a DIY guy so I was looking to buy from Ohrenholz, but all this talk of Limba and Maple has me wondering if I'd be giving up much on the sound end going wenge. Does thelostMidrange sell his cups? Do you think Ohrenholz would be cool building magnums with someone elses cups or do they only use their own?

Feb 10, 2012 at 4:25 AM Post #1,101 of 4,994
Thanks a lot. I understand, but i´m not interesting in more bass than Rs1, really love it sound, i think i´m going to look for it weith and lengh with a different finish.

"imagine all the people enjoing music"
Francisco Cabillas.

Feb 10, 2012 at 1:00 PM Post #1,102 of 4,994
I thought I would share my latest Magnum v4 build. MCA Gimbals (very nice build but the pins could be longer) + Limba cups (tinted with a layer of poly) and my now well worn J$ headband.
The drivers still need to settle down but the bass is already excellent.

Feb 10, 2012 at 8:47 PM Post #1,103 of 4,994

Quote:
I thought I would share my latest Magnum v4 build. MCA Gimbals (very nice build but the pins could be longer) + Limba cups (tinted with a layer of poly) and my now well worn J$ headband.
The drivers still need to settle down but the bass is already excellent.

Just wondering, why do you have XLR plugs hanging down to where they'd be like right at your chin?

Feb 10, 2012 at 11:28 PM Post #1,105 of 4,994

Quote:
Actually, just below the chin so that when connected to the main cable they hang just above the shoulders or rest on, without being in the way when I turn my head.  

Got it. And that is for portability? Cable switching? Pardon my ignorance, but why XLR when you could just use 1/8" or even 1/4" connectors, which in my mind would be much lighter and smaller?

Feb 11, 2012 at 1:41 PM Post #1,108 of 4,994
Those are mini xlr's and are:
  1. lighter than 1/4 or 1/8
  2. locking
  3. compatible with LCD-2 type cables

I make my own cables and use different lengths and termination types (balanced, 1/4, 1/8..) depending on the source. This makes it convenient for me to swap cables .
Lastly, for portability the headphones pack much smaller without a cable, especially when these cups are installed on a sony foldable headband.
Quote:

Got it. And that is for portability? Cable switching? Pardon my ignorance, but why XLR when you could just use 1/8" or even 1/4" connectors, which in my mind would be much lighter and smaller?

Feb 13, 2012 at 10:20 AM Post #1,109 of 4,994
I'm about to jump into the Magnum V4 / Ohrenholz foray in the next few days. I decided to go with a very similar build to the one that is on the front page of ohrenholz.com. The only difference is I went with the small flat mushroom cups. They should have about 70 hours of burn in so I'm sure I'll still get a taste of that upper mid sizzle that I loathed on my Alessandro MS-2is. After the MS2is I said to myself I'd never go back to Grado or a Grado-type headphone unless it was a RS1/RS2 type phone. We'll see if these do the trick. Now up for consideration is what headphones of my stable to let go... Beyer DT880s, Senn HD650s, or AKG K701s... which out of the three would you put on the chopping block?

I'll post pics as soon as get them...

Feb 13, 2012 at 4:03 PM Post #1,110 of 4,994
I haven't heard any of your 'phones, but from what I've read it seems that the Beyers and AKGs are probably similar (on the analytical side of things). I would pick your favorite out of those two and sell the other pair.

Or you could simply sell the one you listen to the least since you've already subconsciously decided you don't like it as much.
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back