Grado modders go Magnum
Feb 2, 2012 at 3:32 PM Post #1,051 of 4,994
The Amp is an RSA Shadow. 
Before I had the Magnum's I mostly used it for IEM's. It is a great amp for low volume listening as the channel balance is almost perfect at the very lowest volume. After I got the v4 drivers I wanted to see how good Rhydon's new testing equipment was so I tried it on the shadow. However, since then I have been using it as an all around amp with the Magnums. The sound signature is slightly warm with a wide and high soundstage, which is quite typical of the RSA amps i have heard.  This amp has good synergy with the nano which is slightly bright and closed sounding on it's own (although I think it is the best sounding ipod since the 5.5 classic).  On top of everything I love the form factor of the combo, for the sound it puts out it easily gets lost in a pocket.

Feb 2, 2012 at 6:10 PM Post #1,054 of 4,994
Nice Sluker!

I have to say you're right about the bass... it's incredible!

So the first day I wired up my Magnums (with the same mahogany cups as Rogan) and I threw them on, to be honest, I was somewhat disappointed - they weren't all that much better than my modded SR80s, at least from what I could tell from my iPod/Fiio E7 combo. Especially at lower volumes. I was angry with everyone told me that the Magnums were "100x better" or not even comparable because I thought they were wrong. But then I took them home and plugged into my desktop setup and let them play... and very very gradually the sound got better and better.
It's been about 2 weeks now of ~3 hours of play a day, and they are already sounding 10 times better than my first listen. They sound amazing!! And that's not even close to the supposed 200 hour burn in some people say are required for full potential! 
And the bass... the sweet bass! I can't describe how much I enjoy what I am hearing...
The best part is that I'm not afraid to turn these up. With other headphones I've tried, turning up the volume too high begins to hurt my ears. With the Magnums, I would have no idea if my ears were bleeding from the intensity because it sounds better and better the higher I turn it up. Actually they can't make your ears bleed no matter how loud because the sound is so sweet.
Just to be clear, people say the Magnums are revealing, and they are, but they play well with cruddy recordings too. It's weird but they do the job well. I have plenty of songs that are 128kbps and they sound great too. So unless you're doing analytical listening or whatever that is, you're probably good.
I now use my 80s for walking to and from class and the whole time I anxiously await the time when I can go back home and listen to my Magnums.
They ARE that much better already, even without full burn in.

Also, I gotta get a nice DAC/Amp combo without breaking the bank. Probably need a new player too. Suggestions for good pairs with Magnums?

Feb 2, 2012 at 6:31 PM Post #1,055 of 4,994
My advice is to focus on source material. 128k is not going to cut it. The better your DAC/Amp + headphone combo the worse those files are going to sound.
For amp I recommend the O2 build from JDS labs. At $130 + $20 for power supply and shipping, it's hands down the best deal on an amp right now and can realistically be used as portable in a pinch (with a back pack). DAC I assume you are looking for a desktop solution, but I don't know what to recommend without a budget range.

Feb 2, 2012 at 6:37 PM Post #1,056 of 4,994

Quote:
My advice is to focus on source material. 128k is not going to cut it. The better your DAC/Amp + headphone combo the worse those files are going to sound.
For amp I recommend the O2 build from JDS labs. At $130 + $20 for power supply and shipping, it's hands down the best deal on an amp right now and can realistically be used as portable in a pinch (with a back pack). DAC I assume you are looking for a desktop solution, but I don't know what to recommend without a budget range.

Haha okay maybe an overstatement that 128k sound great. But it's not horrid. I rip mostly CDs so those are like 320 VBR and they sound good. 

I think I'll start with a DAC first - under $100? I've got to start somewhere and I don't have much money

Feb 2, 2012 at 8:01 PM Post #1,057 of 4,994
What is the source you are going to use to feed this DAC? Laptop I assume?
If so then a used Nuforce udac 2 is the way to go, these can be had for under $90on the FS forums here. It has a built in amp which will do just fine and it sounds great with the Magnum's. It also has a line out if you want to feed an integrated receiver with speakers or a desktop amp.
As well, for ripping I advise to use Exact Audio Copy (EAC) and rip to FLAC, if you need mp3 for capacity then use 320 in constant rate. EAC is free ware and has tons of tutorials is you search. For players I am a big fan of Foobar 2K, which you can use to convert FLAC to mp3.

Feb 3, 2012 at 12:17 AM Post #1,058 of 4,994

Quote:
What is the source you are going to use to feed this DAC? Laptop I assume?
If so then a used Nuforce udac 2 is the way to go, these can be had for under $90on the FS forums here. It has a built in amp which will do just fine and it sounds great with the Magnum's. It also has a line out if you want to feed an integrated receiver with speakers or a desktop amp.
As well, for ripping I advise to use Exact Audio Copy (EAC) and rip to FLAC, if you need mp3 for capacity then use 320 in constant rate. EAC is free ware and has tons of tutorials is you search. For players I am a big fan of Foobar 2K, which you can use to convert FLAC to mp3.

I don't know how true this is, but NwAvGuy (who seems to be an expert on amps/DACs) says the Nuforce Udac 2 doesn't even perform as well as an iPods built in DAC, and he has evidence to back that claim. 
I might be confused on that but that's what I remember him saying.

Feb 3, 2012 at 12:55 AM Post #1,059 of 4,994
Well he certainly knows his stuff, the O2 amp is great.
But I have compared my udac2 (just the dac mind you) to a v-dac ($300) and the difference is small. Mind you he is a die hard sound science guy and believes in frequency curves above all and that most amps are just wire with gain. I own plenty of ipods and the best one is the 5.5 classic which had a wolfson DAC so out of the LOD into a decent amp it sounded good, but the headphone out was just OK. To my ears the udac2 is better and less colored.
And it sure beats the HO on any laptop I have heard.

Feb 3, 2012 at 1:14 AM Post #1,061 of 4,994
I would agree. NwAvGuy did put out hard evidence, but if you have heard a uDac2 for yourself, it really isn't that bad. I have a Pico dac that I run into a iBasso 4 with modded opamps and I wouldn't say it is leagues better than the uDac2. I mean considering the price difference is $130 vs $500+ it really isn't bad...

He is right though about it having channel imbalance at super low volumes (I think sub 9 o clock?). Doesn't matter that much, plus if you REALLY want low level listening, you can always take it a notch higher and compensate by lowering the volume in iTunes or w.e program you use.

I am getting my magnums fixed up right now, so I cannot say anything about the synergy between the uDac2 and the magnum v4's.... I haven't really burned mine in for 200-300 hours either.

Quote:
Well he certainly knows his stuff, the O2 amp is great.
But I have compared my udac2 (just the dac mind you) to a v-dac ($300) and the difference is small. Mind you he is a die hard sound science guy and believes in frequency curves above all and that most amps are just wire with gain. I own plenty of ipods and the best one is the 5.5 classic which had a wolfson DAC so out of the LOD into a decent amp it sounded good, but the headphone out was just OK. To my ears the udac2 is better and less colored.
And it sure beats the HO on any laptop I have heard.

Feb 3, 2012 at 11:20 AM Post #1,063 of 4,994
I am probably going to list my magnums in a little bit. They are the v4 with the aluminum shells from rhydon. Goldie 325 cups and leather headband from my ps500s. Let me know if interested. ill post in the fs forum when i get home and take some pics.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back