Grado modders go Magnum
Dec 13, 2011 at 9:30 PM Post #556 of 4,994
If this is a question that's been asked before, please allow me to apologize in advance, but do the magnum v4 drivers come with the white veil found on their Grado counterparts, or does the disk with the holes in it (for lack of a better term 
wink.gif
)  just come uncovered?

I think I'm pretty much sold on these things, but I just want to make sure my crazy hair doesn't bring the 'grattle' to the Magnums once I have them in.

Dec 13, 2011 at 9:38 PM Post #557 of 4,994

Yes. They do come with a fine mesh to protect the driver. See picture of my drivers.

Quote:
If this is a question that's been asked before, please allow me to apologize in advance, but do the magnum v4 drivers come with the white veil found on their Grado counterparts, or does the disk with the holes in it (for lack of a better term 
wink.gif
)  just come uncovered?

I think I'm pretty much sold on these things, but I just want to make sure my crazy hair doesn't bring the 'grattle' to the Magnums once I have them in.

Dec 13, 2011 at 9:40 PM Post #558 of 4,994
I have seen similar setup on Martin Custom Website. Very cool cable solution!

Quote:
By the way, the cable exchange thing is easy I already do it on all of my phones. I have converted all of my cables to 4 pin mini xlr and have either wired the male end to the drivers with a short cable or made converters for my Hifiman headphones.

Dec 13, 2011 at 9:47 PM Post #559 of 4,994

Quote:

I didn't even know there was a power requirement?  D:  I don't mind waiting for them as I have many many gear still in boxes as I've originally bought them. :frowning2:

No, I actually meant what kind of electricity would you supply the amp?  Is your country wired for 110V/120V?  The adapter that comes with the O2 amplifier is a bit different than other adapters because it is an AC adapter instead of a DC adapter like most "wall wart" adapters are.  

Dec 13, 2011 at 9:52 PM Post #561 of 4,994

Quote:
You don't like the name GragNum?  
biggrin.gif

yes, but adding the "Franen" part paints a better mental picture

Dec 13, 2011 at 10:15 PM Post #562 of 4,994

Quote:
Which power requirement do you need to for the O2?  There's a US seller who has a few of these built and has sold them.  The seller has one for sale here in the FS section.  He currently has free shipping in the price, but may charge a bit more for International.  The front panel is the generic panel that was just drilled for the appropriate holes.  However, JDSLabs will have their panels available at the end of the month for $10.00 + shipping.

Oh really? those JDS front panels are SEXY. I think I'll get one :)

Quote:

Lets say, I reckon that the ~$300 or whatever it is people here are paying for Magnum'ed cans is getting them a quality of headphones that people normally pay $1k or more for.

*grinning from ear to ear*

Quote:
Does anyone know how the O2 compares to the M3? I was planning on building one but those plans have been postponed due to the fact that the person who agreed to teach me to read schematics has found his hands full with marriage.. haha

Objectively, the O2 should have quite the upper hand to the M3, but I haven't heard both. Just my .02   *Runs away and hides*

Just do some research :)

Quote:
wink.gif
)  just come uncovered?

yup, they all come with a cover. Your hair shouldn't bother the drivers :)

Dec 14, 2011 at 12:16 AM Post #564 of 4,994
I am still waiting for my drivers. No biggie. I am training my patience in case one day I got tired of the ladies with all their dramas and wanna become a monk.

I know one thing that I can't quit for sure is music. While my woodied 325i Sounds quite good, but they are not very comfortable. I got this idea from NickChen's MS Ultimate Thread to mod a pair or AKG valor pads with them.

What I did was I cut off a part of my old L-Pads, applied Electric Tapes around them, and glue them to the valor pads. OMG!!!!

The Sound Stage got better, and the comfort is even better than the G-Pads. I got the G-Pads a few years back and they are a step up in comfort from the bowl. But nothing like what I am experiencing with the AKG Valor pads.

I highly recommend them for comfort!!

One negative, They look really stupid. So, I now wear the Quater-modded comfies for my short walk around the neighborhood, and dog walking.

I can't wait to put these pads on my Magnum Drivers!! It will be sooo SWEET!

Dec 14, 2011 at 2:09 AM Post #566 of 4,994

Quote:

Lets say, I reckon that the ~$300 or whatever it is people here are paying for Magnum'ed cans is getting them a quality of headphones that people normally pay $1k or more for.

Hmm ... I wonder if Rhydon has had any purchase requests from the Grado group in Brooklyn, NY so they could see what all this "rage" was about? 
wink.gif

Dec 14, 2011 at 3:02 AM Post #567 of 4,994

Quote:

Swapped out cups AGAIN, this time some recessed walnut. Still comparing them to hf2's and still can't quit get there.  Mags have upper mid (not treble) sibilance and at times some bass issues. Great quality bass but on some albums it's overblown.The magnums no matter what cups I use, are significantly more coloured than the hf2 which is greyer. At this point, the hf2 is quite superior imo although I enjoy the mags..........Based on some descriptions prior to my ordering these, others suggested the mags would be less coloured and that the hf2 is tube coloured. There is no doubt to me this is backwards. The hf 2 are siginificanly more neutral all around. It's the mags that have all the colour. The driver further back is so comfortable and sounds great though. I will keep searching and trying things until the upper mids settle down. Maybe it's my cable?........Could it be the plastic outer cups? Hard to think that has any impact on tone, but since no one else speaks up about upper mid issues, I start to think of why I'm having them........

Time for aluminum?

Dec 14, 2011 at 3:18 AM Post #569 of 4,994
Could it be the gimbals you are using? 
Rhydon has mentioned to me that he feels the stiffer aluminum gimbals make a positive impact on the sound signature. In general his philosophy is to keep everything solid and tight. With soft plastic gimbals you could be getting vibration transfer to the frame which could potentially absorb some of the highs and detail. Also looking at your pick the angle of the drivers in the frame looks like its pointing up quite a bit. Do they sit on your ears the same as the HF-2's? 
You could simply swap out the frame with your HF-2's to see if it makes a diff.

Quote:

Swapped out cups AGAIN, this time some recessed walnut. Still comparing them to hf2's and still can't quit get there.  Mags have upper mid (not treble) sibilance and at times some bass issues. Great quality bass but on some albums it's overblown.The magnums no matter what cups I use, are significantly more coloured than the hf2 which is greyer. At this point, the hf2 is quite superior imo although I enjoy the mags..........Based on some descriptions prior to my ordering these, others suggested the mags would be less coloured and that the hf2 is tube coloured. There is no doubt to me this is backwards. The hf 2 are siginificanly more neutral all around. It's the mags that have all the colour. The driver further back is so comfortable and sounds great though. I will keep searching and trying things until the upper mids settle down. Maybe it's my cable?........Could it be the plastic outer cups? Hard to think that has any impact on tone, but since no one else speaks up about upper mid issues, I start to think of why I'm having them........

Dec 14, 2011 at 3:19 AM Post #570 of 4,994
Could it be the gimbals you are using? 
Rhydon has mentioned to me that he feels the stiffer aluminum gimbals make positive impact on the sound signature. In general his philosophy is to keep everything solid and tight. With soft plastic gimbals you could be getting vibration transfer to the frame which could potentially absorb some of the highs and detail. Also looking at your pick the angle of the drivers in the frame looks like its pointing up quite a bit. Do they sit on your ears the same as the HF-2's? 
You could simply swap out the frame with your HF-2's to see if it makes a diff.

Quote:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back