Grado modders go Magnum
Aug 7, 2018 at 10:00 AM Post #4,636 of 4,994
Never thought of silicone... that should be more removable then wood glue.

My only concern, and it would have to be tested, would be how well the silicone sticks to the ABS frame of the driver. Good alternative though, will test it out myself as well.

Just waiting on some new materials for a cable we will be offering. Should be in tomorrow which means the guide will be ready by end of week.

@fleasbaby, can you send me a link to that guide you saw?

Aug 7, 2018 at 10:48 AM Post #4,637 of 4,994
Never thought of silicone... that should be more removable then wood glue.

My only concern, and it would have to be tested, would be how well the silicone sticks to the ABS frame of the driver. Good alternative though, will test it out myself as well.

Just waiting on some new materials for a cable we will be offering. Should be in tomorrow which means the guide will be ready by end of week.

@fleasbaby, can you send me a link to that guide you saw?

Sure thing...

https://www.head-fi.org/articles/grado-modification-overview.13885/

I am thinking of either linking to it from my site or mirroring it.

Aug 12, 2018 at 1:44 PM Post #4,639 of 4,994
Assembly guide is up at www.symphones.com/assembly

There are pictures and descriptions for both install procedures. However, at the moment you can only see the descriptions on a desktop browser. Still trying to solve this one...

More photos will be added throughout the week when the page is finalized.

Also, these install procedures are not for Rholupat cups, they are a bit more challenging. Message me if you need advice with those designs.

Aug 20, 2018 at 11:02 AM Post #4,640 of 4,994
Also, these install procedures are not for Rholupat cups, they are a bit more challenging. Message me if you need advice with those designs.

Hey Rhydon,

I parted with my original Vibro cups because I couldn't get past them having a slot for the cable rather than a hole.
I've subsequently bought Rholupat cups - I guess its the cable slot that interferes with a clean installation?

- Thought I'd post rather them PM as I'm sure there's plenty of Rholupat owners out there!

Aug 21, 2018 at 10:16 AM Post #4,641 of 4,994
Hey Rhydon,
I've subsequently bought Rholupat cups - I guess its the cable slot that interferes with a clean installation?
Thought I'd post rather them PM as I'm sure there's plenty of Rholupat owners out there!

Rholupat cups are great, i recommend them, yes they require extra attention to block that excess cable slot. We do this by cutting a piece of chipboard (or similar thin cardboard 0.5-0.7mm thick) so it fits between the driver and the earcup and extends all the way up to but not past the cable. The friction of the driver mounting will hold it in place during glueing. Just be careful as the extra thickness of the chipboard may cause more glue to drip through into the enclosure. This can be fixed by first doing a thin glue line and letting it dry, followed by finishing with a final thick pass. Dont worry if your drivers are not perfectly concentric with the earcup, non-concentric drivers can have acoustic benefits :)

Aug 29, 2018 at 12:51 PM Post #4,642 of 4,994
Hi Rhydon, and thanks for the installation guide.

I have two pairs of Rholupat wood cups here, just recently received. There's quite a bit of variance from one cup to another in terms of how flush the driver fits to the cup with one of the four cups leaving the driver protruding 1mm all the way around from the edge of the cup , and another where the driver doesn't sit perfectly parallel (one edge of the driver protrudes 1mm, thus slanting the driver slightly in the cup.

How much of a difference will these small variances make in the resulting sound? I don't have the proper tools to deepen the routed area for the cup. I can carefully remove material using a Dremel but little mistakes can cause a lot of damage on items like this. I could also attempt to cut away material manually. Or, I could set both drivers so that they're both protruding 1mm from the cup.

...or am I being a bit too particular. Any thoughts?

Thanks again! :)

Aug 29, 2018 at 4:34 PM Post #4,643 of 4,994
How much of a difference will these small variances make in the resulting sound? I don't have the proper tools to deepen the routed area for the cup. I can carefully remove material using a Dremel but little mistakes can cause a lot of damage on items like this. I could also attempt to cut away material manually. Or, I could set both drivers so that they're both protruding 1mm from the cup.
...or am I being a bit too particular. Any thoughts?
Thanks again! :)

A 1mm protrusion should not effect things too much. However i know the feeling. Flush is Flush. If its bugging you id be more than happy to fix the issue. We have a small lathe here so adjustment would be very simple. If you send the cups with a cable and drivers i can also install (glue) them for you, no charge.

Aug 29, 2018 at 6:01 PM Post #4,644 of 4,994
What a generous offer! :)

I have one set of cups in which the drivers sit flush so I'll do a finished install with that set, then a test install with the drivers both protruding 1mm. If I find a discernable and negative difference then I may take you up on your offer.

I rather expect that they'll sound fine though. I just wanted to know if it would have a significant impact,and it sounds as though it will not.

Once again, your I put is very much appreciated!

Aug 29, 2018 at 6:16 PM Post #4,645 of 4,994
@Deaj, If you are very careful with the Dremel (use either a grinding stone or cutting bit) you can make the drivers fit flush, its what had to do with most of the cups from Rholuplat but I think its a great gesture on Rhydon's part to install them for you. And I agree with you that the 1mm would bug the hell out of me even if it didn't alter the sound but I think patching the slit in the cups is a bigger concern since it lets air escape.

Aug 29, 2018 at 6:52 PM Post #4,646 of 4,994
@Deaj, If you are very careful with the Dremel (use either a grinding stone or cutting bit) you can make the drivers fit flush, its what had to do with most of the cups from Rholuplat but I think its a great gesture on Rhydon's part to install them for you. And I agree with you that the 1mm would bug the hell out of me even if it didn't alter the sound but I think patching the slit in the cups is a bigger concern since it lets air escape.

The slit and driver seating were the two reasons I got into cup-making. I wanted press-fit and no one was doing it for a reasonable price at the time, and I wanted a hole, not a slit (didn't like how a slit compromised the seat and had that big, gaping hole left in the chamber.

That, and I'm a masochist at heart :D

Last edited:
Sep 1, 2018 at 7:11 PM Post #4,648 of 4,994
A 1mm protrusion should not effect things too much. However i know the feeling. Flush is Flush. If its bugging you id be more than happy to fix the issue. We have a small lathe here so adjustment would be very simple. If you send the cups with a cable and drivers i can also install (glue) them for you, no charge.

I've assembled a set using the cups that allowed for a flush fit for the drivers. They are a spectacular headphone! :)

I'd like to take you up on your generous offer to lathe the wood cups for a proper fit and then get them mounted. I have a bit of work to do to prepare the 2nd set of wood cups (profile matched hardwood inserts for the cable slots and drilling for Sennheiser HD800 type jacks). I'll purchase a new set of drivers from you for the installation when I send the wood cups as I've already found homes for the Magnum V8 driver sets I already own. I should be ready to send them in the next week or so. Should we carry this discussion over to the forum's private messaging service or email?

Sep 2, 2018 at 10:32 AM Post #4,649 of 4,994
I've assembled a set using the cups that allowed for a flush fit for the drivers. They are a spectacular headphone! :)

I'd like to take you up on your generous offer to lathe the wood cups for a proper fit and then get them mounted. I should be ready to send them in the next week or so. Should we carry this discussion over to the forum's private messaging service or email?

Glad to hear :)

When you get a chance send me an email through the website and we'll get the ball rolling.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back