Grado modders go Magnum
Feb 4, 2018 at 11:03 AM Post #4,501 of 4,994
Now I have some questions about my impressions of the V8 with L-cush and G-cush. I do not have a well trained ear, so I am curious to hear what others think.

To me, the V8 accentuates the highs. Not strident or unpleasant, but definitely, to my ears anyway, the most prominent characteristic, at least with the L-cush.

Switching to the G-cush, the highs are much more mellow, and the bass is boosted considerably, and with the G-cush the bass reaches very deep! I am very impressed with how low it will go, but only with the G-cush.

My impression of the G-cush is that it seems to make the bass not quite as clean, especially with kick drums, they seem to kind of "thud". When switching back to the L-cush, my impression is that the sound is cleaner and sharper. However, I cannot say that there is anything missing when I go back to the G-cush, which kind of confuses me.

Does any of that make sense to others that have listened to this driver? Any ideas what it is that I think I am hearing?

One thing that is very cool, is that you can have one headphone, with two completely different sounds with a simple switch of cushions!

Thanks

Feb 4, 2018 at 2:01 PM Post #4,502 of 4,994
Hi M,
The changes in sound you describe between the L and G pads is about right if its between the OEM L-pads (3 layer construction) and generic G-pads (these were on the SR225i). Its not only the bass that changes with different pads but also the mids / highs become more present/in your face with L-pads which is probably why the sound is both cleaner and sharper due to the driver being slightly closer to your ears.

Last edited:
Feb 8, 2018 at 7:44 AM Post #4,503 of 4,994
Hi,

I've been looking for a set of aluminium rodblocks and gimbals for a while now and I've been considering the ones from Concord Custom Lab. Has nayone here had any experience with them?.

Many thanks for your help!

Feb 8, 2018 at 7:56 AM Post #4,504 of 4,994
Hi,

I've been looking for a set of aluminium rodblocks and gimbals for a while now and I've been considering the ones from Concord Custom Lab. Has nayone here had any experience with them?.

Many thanks for your help!

I can’t say I have, but if you could look at ShipiboAudio on Etsy, that’s where I got mine from - they’re top quality!

Feb 8, 2018 at 7:58 AM Post #4,505 of 4,994
My V8's have found their forever home, I took them out of the spalted tamarind cups, and put them in my Zebrano cups and used a Lavricables silver IEM cable I had. Still using generic L pads, but one day I will invest in some real ones.

Cups, Rodblocks, Gimbals and headband padding all from Shipibo on Etsy :)

I have ordered SMC connectors to make the cable detachable too.

IMG_20180205_104128.jpg IMG_20180205_104109-01.jpeg IMG_20180205_104058-01.jpeg

Feb 8, 2018 at 8:05 AM Post #4,506 of 4,994
My V8's have found their forever home, I took them out of the spalted tamarind cups, and put them in my Zebrano cups and used a Lavricables silver IEM cable I had. Still using generic L pads, but one day I will invest in some real ones.

Have fun soldering the SMC’s it was bloody fiddly last time I did some! Magnums look great though, nice job! Agree with you about Shipibo, Przem is a really nice guy to deal with.

Feb 8, 2018 at 8:09 AM Post #4,507 of 4,994
Have fun soldering the SMC’s it was bloody fiddly last time I did some! Magnums look great though, nice job! Agree with you about Shipibo, Przem is a really nice guy to deal with.

I don't mind working with SMC connectors, try making ipod 30 pin iPod LOD's, that what I used to do and that was fiddly :L3000:

Feb 8, 2018 at 10:29 AM Post #4,508 of 4,994
I don't mind working with SMC connectors, try making ipod 30 pin iPod LOD's, that what I used to do and that was fiddly :L3000:
Rather you than me, I had enough trouble with the smc’s

Feb 8, 2018 at 11:38 AM Post #4,509 of 4,994
I can’t say I have, but if you could look at ShipiboAudio on Etsy, that’s where I got mine from - they’re top quality!

Thanks! I've been considering Shipibo gimbals/rod-blocks as well, but the product is listed as no longer available on their Etsy store. Anyhow, Shipibo stuff looks terrific, but I like better the aesthetics of CCL gimbals/rod-blocks.

So... no one here has any experience with them?. Guess I'll just go with it and come back here to let you guys know how it all went.

Thanks!!!

Feb 8, 2018 at 12:49 PM Post #4,511 of 4,994
Thanks! I've been considering Shipibo gimbals/rod-blocks as well, but the product is listed as no longer available on their Etsy store. Anyhow, Shipibo stuff looks terrific, but I like better the aesthetics of CCL gimbals/rod-blocks.

So... no one here has any experience with them?. Guess I'll just go with it and come back here to let you guys know how it all went.

Thanks!!!
I guess he’s sold out at the moment and they’ll back on sale soon as TravAndAlex said above!

Feb 8, 2018 at 1:05 PM Post #4,512 of 4,994
I’ve never heard of CCL before. The products look nice. Not much info on their page, but Chrome offers to translate from Russian. Where are they located?

Btw. In talking with Przem from Shipibo lately, the rod blocks and gimbals should be up for sale fairly soon.

I believe that they're from Moscow, but I'm not completely sure. They are from Russia for sure.

Feb 8, 2018 at 1:22 PM Post #4,514 of 4,994
Your name is so going on a government list. :wink:

:joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy:

Man, I'm so desperate for a set of good quality gimbals (built myself a couple of sets, but they are not professional enough) that I don't even care anymore. Putin himself can come and drag me out of my house with his own hands as long as I'm wearing my DIY headphones all the way to Siberia.

Anyhow... if I never post here anymore, tell Martin from Martin Custom Audio that everything it's his fault for not sellling gimbals anymore.

Feb 8, 2018 at 9:22 PM Post #4,515 of 4,994

I'm looking for a rod/block headband that is shorter than the Grado headband. I cannot get cups high enough on my ears with the Grado. Are those from Shipibo any shorter than stock Grado?

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back