Grado modders go Magnum
Jun 15, 2016 at 5:27 PM Post #4,156 of 4,994
I'm back in the Magnum club! My pair of Xs arrived today. They sound simply stunning out of my Schiit Mjolnir. I have always been a G-Cush hater but these are simply killer with the Ear Zonk G-Cush equipped.

Jun 20, 2016 at 4:37 PM Post #4,157 of 4,994
Really cool to see these are still going strong. I still have my original v1 Magnum 'lites' (from 325i). Still love them. I'm sure I'm missing out with the new drivers but I've honestly never felt a need to change.

Jun 21, 2016 at 10:20 AM Post #4,158 of 4,994
Anyone here got experience with OTL tube amps, Schiit Valhalla 2 for example, paired with the Magnums? I am perfectly aware Grado drivers don't necessarily need an amp to sound good. I've been using the Schiit Vali 2 for a while now and I'm liking it a lot, just curious to other options.

Jun 23, 2016 at 11:39 PM Post #4,159 of 4,994
hey, i use the l-cush pads on my v6s. the only issue i've got is that they can get somewhat uncomfortable every so often.
would the ear zonk g-cush change that at all? would any solution?

besides that, i've got zero complaints about my mojo+v6 pair. it's everything i hoped it'd be.
i haven't posted much since getting it. a v7 model has emerged as well? my, my. changes.

Jun 24, 2016 at 12:18 AM Post #4,160 of 4,994
  hey, i use the l-cush pads on my v6s. the only issue i've got is that they can get somewhat uncomfortable every so often.
would the ear zonk g-cush change that at all? would any solution?

besides that, i've got zero complaints about my mojo+v6 pair. it's everything i hoped it'd be.
i haven't posted much since getting it. a v7 model has emerged as well? my, my. changes.

Ear Zonk G-Cush are waaaay more comfortable than the L-Cush. It's hard for me to say if you'll like the sound change. I really like them on my V5 build.

Jun 24, 2016 at 11:10 AM Post #4,161 of 4,994
I know there is a FS forum, but given this thread is about Grado modding, I thought I'd ask here ... does anyone have a pair of TTVJ flats?  I live in Canada and getting them shipped here is just ridiculous (about $60 USD for a pair).  I don't mind them being used as long as they are in decent shape.  I would want to have two sets but would be cool with only having one as I can swap between my two Grado-like cans.

Jun 24, 2016 at 4:14 PM Post #4,162 of 4,994
All,

I'll be completing my GS2000e clone with the V7 drivers soon.  Does anyone know the Grado cable configuration with the 12 conductors?  Is it 3x4?  I'm assuming it's the same for all 12 conductor models (PS/GS1000e, GS2000e). 

Please no, "12, 8 conductors don't matter...." responses - you know the song.  Yes, I agree anything above 4 is overkill, but I want to follow what's being used as this is a clone project.  Just want to know the 12 conductor setup.  Thanks in advance.

Jun 26, 2016 at 1:04 PM Post #4,163 of 4,994
Every time I go down the Magnum path , I end up spending copious amounts of time tinkering with the pads...can't help it! Some thoughts on pads:

1. I initially said I loved the Ear Zonk G-Cush with the V5 build I currently possess. I do still like it quite well but further listening revealed the weakness of this pad: vocals are slightly sibilant and and cymbals are a bit splashy. Bass is better than on L-Cush but still could be better. Soundstage with the right tube on my T1 is terrific, though.

1. I like the L-Cush a lot, too. Vocals sound more natural and cymbals less splashy than on the EZ G-Cush.

1. I'm currently experimenting with reverse Ear Zonk G-Cush. I like what some of what I'm hearing so far. Bass is just right in this configuration. Soundstage could be better, though. Anyone else tried this?

1. I think the perfect pad would be the same size as the G-Cush but with a much less severe slope angle between the outer and inner rims of the pads. Essentially, I think the perfect pad would be a gently sloped XXL Flat Pad. I can just about achieve this if I mash the pads against my head. I'm going to see if I can stretch out the pads out, get them to flatten out a bit. 

Jun 26, 2016 at 3:13 PM Post #4,164 of 4,994
  Anyone here got experience with OTL tube amps, Schiit Valhalla 2 for example, paired with the Magnums? I am perfectly aware Grado drivers don't necessarily need an amp to sound good. I've been using the Schiit Vali 2 for a while now and I'm liking it a lot, just curious to other options.

The magnums sound great with the Valhalla 2. I have a Bimby/Valhalla 2 with Voskhod tubes setup on my office desk. I've never heard the vali 2, but i tried the magni 2 uber to see if I could downgrade and save desk space/heat and immediately went back to the Valhalla. The magni sounded metallic for lack of a better adjective.

Jun 26, 2016 at 5:29 PM Post #4,165 of 4,994
  Every time I go down the Magnum path , I end up spending copious amounts of time tinkering with the pads...can't help it! Some thoughts on pads:

1. I initially said I loved the Ear Zonk G-Cush with the V5 build I currently possess. I do still like it quite well but further listening revealed the weakness of this pad: vocals are slightly sibilant and and cymbals are a bit splashy. Bass is better than on L-Cush but still could be better. Soundstage with the right tube on my T1 is terrific, though.

1. I like the L-Cush a lot, too. Vocals sound more natural and cymbals less splashy than on the EZ G-Cush.

1. I'm currently experimenting with reverse Ear Zonk G-Cush. I like what some of what I'm hearing so far. Bass is just right in this configuration. Soundstage could be better, though. Anyone else tried this?

1. I think the perfect pad would be the same size as the G-Cush but with a much less severe slope angle between the outer and inner rims of the pads. Essentially, I think the perfect pad would be a gently sloped XXL Flat Pad. I can just about achieve this if I mash the pads against my head. I'm going to see if I can stretch out the pads out, get them to flatten out a bit. 

Use a hair dryer to heat them before pushing/pulling/stretching them into your desired shape. Works well...I have used this method to push over-stretched L-Cush back into shape.

Jun 28, 2016 at 12:06 PM Post #4,167 of 4,994
  This essentially worked perfectly. Never been more satisfied with a headphone.  

LOL

Good to hear...did you check this out btw?

http://www.head-fi.org/t/793136/grado-modders-go-ypsilon-elleven-acoustica-drivers-and-builds-thread/255#post_12666254

Note the way the baffle pushes the driver closer to the ear....

Jul 5, 2016 at 3:09 PM Post #4,169 of 4,994
Greetings Head-Fi- Long time... uh, First time... never mind. I've been reading the forums here for years with much interest, but this is the first time I have been really moved to post looking for info I couldn't find by searching.

I'm tooling up to attempt my first Grado-esque build and just received some v7's in the mail today. However, I haven't been able to find any mentions of anyone actually mounting theirs and listening to them. Has anyone gotten that far and have any anecdotal info to share about them? They look so dimensionally close to the drivers in my RS1's (classic b) that I'm really curious whether the sound signature will be the same or similar, and whether wood or aluminum would be better suited for them. Not really looking to duplicate the RS-1's, so I would be really interested in feedback if anyone is in a position to compare these side by side. 

Edit: Just want to add that I am very impressed with the construction, keeping in mind that I have not had a chance to hear them yet. I am expecting good things to come from them.

Jul 5, 2016 at 3:49 PM Post #4,170 of 4,994
  I've been lurking on here for years but this is my first post. Last week I was about to solder together a 2nd pair of v6's as a backup when I decided to check the Symphone web site and saw there was a v7. I stopped with the v6, ordered the v7 and finished putting it together last night. I emailed Rhydon and he still recommended using the 3D printed beta cups with the v7. All solid silver cabling and silver plated plug along with 10 hours of pink noise burn in.

The v7 is a definite improvement over the v6. The mid bass bump has been smoothed out and the bass is tighter. One thing I noticed with orchestral music and other highly layered music was greater separation between instruments. Overall the sound is crisper and more precise. Definitely much better than the v6 for classical and music with real instruments. I did listen to the headphones before burn in and noticed that there wasn't a huge difference after initial burn in. This is very different compared to my experience with the v6 which had overwhelming loose bass initially before settling in. And the v5 which I found to be lacking in bass and only became acceptable after a burn in period. So you could say the v7 is actually the best of both worlds from v5 and v6.

I'll be keeping my existing v6's for the time being alongside the v7's. The v6 is better for bass heads, electronic music, dance, etc. It's not as articulate as the v7 but it's still fun. I do have an extra pair of brand new v6 drivers now if anybody is interested.

Excuse me, just noticed that. Very good write up. Still, I'd really like to hear impressions compared to RS-1's or blackstar driver'd Grado's if anyone has them to compare. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back