Grado modders go Magnum
Jun 2, 2016 at 6:34 PM Post #4,141 of 4,994

Yes, it does make a difference.  I have built v3 in Cocobolo cups, v4s with wooden inserts and metal cups, and v4 with all metal.  Strange for a guy who is trying to get rid of his aluminum sleeves to say, but the wooden inserts with metal cups were the best.  A nice balance of warmth and details.  v4 were supposedly built with all metal housing in mind, which is why I went out and got a whole lot of cups made.  They are VERY detailed, but shrill, so what happened was that I put acoustic foam and dynamat in there to tame it up a little.  They sound great now, a little V-shaped compared to my SR200, the details are awesome, but I would still like to tame the highs a little.

I find all wood to be too warm for my liking, but those were v3 drivers.

I have heard the v5 in all wood, but personally felt that it's not to the level of both iterations of the v4 (too much down low), but better than the all wood v3 (more fun and exciting sound).

Gotcha, I'm going to place an order for Magnum soon. The newer V7 just came out so I wanna see how they sound. I heard driver is the most important factor that alters the sound of your headphones and cup comes next. I want to build a pair that has a fairly large soundstage hah, do you know which driver/cup should I go for?

Jun 2, 2016 at 11:18 PM Post #4,142 of 4,994
Gotcha, I'm going to place an order for Magnum soon. The newer V7 just came out so I wanna see how they sound. I heard driver is the most important factor that alters the sound of your headphones and cup comes next. I want to build a pair that has a fairly large soundstage hah, do you know which driver/cup should I go for?

Others may want to chime in, but from my experience soundstage has more to do with the pads and spacing as the cups. But the further you space things, the less detail and space you get. So there is a trade off.

Jun 4, 2016 at 2:11 PM Post #4,144 of 4,994
No...tempted, but need to cool my jets a little. Some other projects taking up time and cash right now...T50rp woodies, some HE400 woodies, a few Grado cup builds...also falling into ortho land again. Found some Echo TDS16 (Kiev edition) and will be spending some time on those as well...possibly woodying them if the internals allow it...

I'll probably have a go at them in about a month or two...

Jun 7, 2016 at 11:44 PM Post #4,146 of 4,994
I placed my order today for these drivers. With fleasbaby's wood skills, I'm aiming to make a GS2000 clone.  I asked Rhydon about the drivers on whether or not it's voiced for neutrality - and it is:

"The V7 was voiced to be neutral so i think it may be what you are looking for. The V7 is far from the standard boosted treble in the Grado's. We aimed for a more balanced presentation when designing it.  V7 is the first driver that i feel confident in saying ‘we did it’"

-Rhydon

Jun 8, 2016 at 9:06 AM Post #4,147 of 4,994
  I placed my order today for these drivers. With fleasbaby's wood skills, I'm aiming to make a GS2000 clone.  I asked Rhydon about the drivers on whether or not it's voiced for neutrality - and it is:

"The V7 was voiced to be neutral so i think it may be what you are looking for. The V7 is far from the standard boosted treble in the Grado's. We aimed for a more balanced presentation when designing it.  V7 is the first driver that i feel confident in saying ‘we did it’"

-Rhydon

If you're going for a GS1000/2000 clone, you'd might be interested in this post of mine: post #4095
The cups are Fleasbaby, they sound fantastic!

Jun 8, 2016 at 4:14 PM Post #4,148 of 4,994

(dont hate on the mousepad)

just finished my new pair.
-Turbulent X drivers
-Rholupat headband & gimbal
-Spiritlabs cups

They sound great so far.. Gonna try some EarZonk leatherette Cushions tomorrow!

Jun 10, 2016 at 11:40 AM Post #4,152 of 4,994
So I just got the LH Labs Geek Pulse Infinity, and I manage to plug in the full aluminum v4s I have, and they sound extremely fun.  The bass was nice and tight, and the mids are clear and forward.  The only problem I have now are the highs are a little piercing and sibilant.

The build is my own aluminum sleeves in SR325i aluminum cups, with a stock 8 conductor Grado cable, with Magnum v4 drivers and L-cush.  I have damped the inside of the cups with acoustic foam, but I will have to break it apart and maybe put a little dynamat on the back of the drivers.

Compared to the SR200 with L-cush (yeah, I know, I will get the TTVJ flats soon), the v4s are more v-shaped, have quite a bit more bass down low, a bit more perceived details due to the untamed highs, but the SR200 are just neutral and clean sounding.  v4s got a better soundstage as I find the SR200 to be a little bit of a wall of sound, especially compared to headphones nowadays.

I thought I'd get rid of the v4s when I got the SR200s, but I think I will hold on to them.

I am also thinking of terminating all my phones to 4-pin XLR balanced to take advantage of the amp, i will see if that makes a difference.

Jun 15, 2016 at 12:48 AM Post #4,154 of 4,994
I've been lurking on here for years but this is my first post. Last week I was about to solder together a 2nd pair of v6's as a backup when I decided to check the Symphone web site and saw there was a v7. I stopped with the v6, ordered the v7 and finished putting it together last night. I emailed Rhydon and he still recommended using the 3D printed beta cups with the v7. All solid silver cabling and silver plated plug along with 10 hours of pink noise burn in.

The v7 is a definite improvement over the v6. The mid bass bump has been smoothed out and the bass is tighter. One thing I noticed with orchestral music and other highly layered music was greater separation between instruments. Overall the sound is crisper and more precise. Definitely much better than the v6 for classical and music with real instruments. I did listen to the headphones before burn in and noticed that there wasn't a huge difference after initial burn in. This is very different compared to my experience with the v6 which had overwhelming loose bass initially before settling in. And the v5 which I found to be lacking in bass and only became acceptable after a burn in period. So you could say the v7 is actually the best of both worlds from v5 and v6.

I'll be keeping my existing v6's for the time being alongside the v7's. The v6 is better for bass heads, electronic music, dance, etc. It's not as articulate as the v7 but it's still fun. I do have an extra pair of brand new v6 drivers now if anybody is interested.

Jun 15, 2016 at 3:08 PM Post #4,155 of 4,994
I've been lurking on here for years but this is my first post. Last week I was about to solder together a 2nd pair of v6's as a backup when I decided to check the Symphone web site and saw there was a v7. I stopped with the v6, ordered the v7 and finished putting it together last night. I emailed Rhydon and he still recommended using the 3D printed beta cups with the v7. All solid silver cabling and silver plated plug along with 10 hours of pink noise burn in.

The v7 is a definite improvement over the v6. The mid bass bump has been smoothed out and the bass is tighter. One thing I noticed with orchestral music and other highly layered music was greater separation between instruments. Overall the sound is crisper and more precise. Definitely much better than the v6 for classical and music with real instruments. I did listen to the headphones before burn in and noticed that there wasn't a huge difference after initial burn in. This is very different compared to my experience with the v6 which had overwhelming loose bass initially before settling in. And the v5 which I found to be lacking in bass and only became acceptable after a burn in period. So you could say the v7 is actually the best of both worlds from v5 and v6.

I'll be keeping my existing v6's for the time being alongside the v7's. The v6 is better for bass heads, electronic music, dance, etc. It's not as articulate as the v7 but it's still fun. I do have an extra pair of brand new v6 drivers now if anybody is interested.

Looks like the V7 is Rydons answer to the Ypsilon driver.

I really enjoyed my V4's it a luscious tone that I miss. It reminded me of a sound system I had many years ago, a Luxman amp with Castle speakers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back