Grado modders go Magnum
Apr 19, 2016 at 9:31 AM Post #4,069 of 4,994

Tubulent headband came in, as well as g cush earpads from ebay. Happy is an understatement. The comfort is a significant step up from the l cushes. The g cush pairs well with the V6 driver, really enjoying the sound.

Apr 19, 2016 at 10:19 AM Post #4,070 of 4,994

Tubulent headband came in, as well as g cush earpads from ebay. Happy is an understatement. The comfort is a significant step up from the l cushes. The g cush pairs well with the V6 driver, really enjoying the sound.
Nice to enjoy music as it was intended.im sitting in my garden listening to my ally Yplison and every second I'm getting blown away by how they sound :grinning::grinning:

Apr 25, 2016 at 4:14 AM Post #4,071 of 4,994
Got a offer for a pair of assembled Turbulent X at about $350. I've got some questions:
- Are the Turbulent X (Magnum v5?) made from Grado drivers or are they made anew by Turbulent?
- Which one would you guys prefer, v5 or the newest v6?
- Are the v5 compatible with G cush (I'm willing to do some mod on the cups).
Thanks in advanced.

Apr 25, 2016 at 6:33 AM Post #4,072 of 4,994
350? Always curious how people price out discontinued items (v5, blackstone caps, stax sr, etc). My understanding is the drivers are based on the same reference model (ie previous versions were a modified [125 or was it] 225? but the last couple of generations are new ground up builds? Can't speak to the sound preference (altho g-cush should work with mods, depending on your FR tastes) but fit should be be just fine. depending on your cups, might need foam or smth

Apr 25, 2016 at 5:06 PM Post #4,073 of 4,994
  Got a offer for a pair of assembled Turbulent X at about $350. I've got some questions:
- Are the Turbulent X (Magnum v5?) made from Grado drivers or are they made anew by Turbulent?
- Which one would you guys prefer, v5 or the newest v6?
- Are the v5 compatible with G cush (I'm willing to do some mod on the cups).
Thanks in advanced.

The Turbulent X is made from the ground up by Symphones. Turbulent Labs was the exclusive distributor while the Magnum X was in production. Turbulent X/Magnum X/ Magnum v5 are all the exact same thing. All of the drivers can be used with G-Cush. I like the X with L-Cush myself.

Apr 25, 2016 at 9:08 PM Post #4,074 of 4,994
Did you do any mods to go with the X or just (factory) straight install?

Apr 26, 2016 at 1:00 PM Post #4,076 of 4,994
Hey guys, I recently bought/assembled a pair of magnum V6 headphones with L cush pads, and they sound amazing.  I absolutely love listening to them with the way they currently sound.  One thing that came to mind, however, was that the driver area was exposed due to the opening in the L cush pads.  I don't want dust or other particles getting trapped inside that area (through the holes) in the Magnum driver.  Do you guys cover it up?  

Ideally, I'd want to cover it with something that doesn't affect the sound in any way.  Perhaps the fabric that's used in typical earpads like the alpha or ZMF pads would work well.  Is there a specific term for it and could I simply find it in some fabric store?

Apr 26, 2016 at 1:06 PM Post #4,077 of 4,994
  Hey guys, I recently bought/assembled a pair of magnum V6 headphones with L cush pads, and they sound amazing.  I absolutely love listening to them with the way they currently sound.  One thing that came to mind, however, was that the driver area was exposed due to the opening in the L cush pads.  I don't want dust or other particles getting trapped inside that area (through the holes) in the Magnum driver.  Do you guys cover it up?  

Ideally, I'd want to cover it with something that doesn't affect the sound in any way.  Perhaps the fabric that's used in typical earpads like the alpha or ZMF pads would work well.  Is there a specific term for it and could I simply find it in some fabric store?

i used the one on the right  3m Medipore tape, available at about most any drugstore
i don't notice any change to the sound

Apr 26, 2016 at 7:55 PM Post #4,079 of 4,994
hey all,

Have a problem with my Senngrados,namely distortion in midbass .....Im contemplating a different driver type,but at a loss as to which one would suit me the best.Ive read that Senn drivers are best suited for portable use,which sucks for me,cuz I use them only at home thru a Magni Uber.

Having invested $300.00 into having them made already(I cant mod myself)I dont want to keep dumping money into them if a new driver type is going to take me beyond the cost vs.performance threshold.But at the same time,theyre quite lovely and I really dont wanna just abandon them either.

Can someone advise?

Apr 26, 2016 at 8:23 PM Post #4,080 of 4,994
  hey all,

Have a problem with my Senngrados,namely distortion in midbass .....Im contemplating a different driver type,but at a loss as to which one would suit me the best.Ive read that Senn drivers are best suited for portable use,which sucks for me,cuz I use them only at home thru a Magni Uber.

Having invested $300.00 into having them made already(I cant mod myself)I dont want to keep dumping money into them if a new driver type is going to take me beyond the cost vs.performance threshold.But at the same time,theyre quite lovely and I really dont wanna just abandon them either.

Can someone advise?

i've read a few reports of this problem
i have 3 different builds of senngrados
mostly made from used drivers sourced from the ebay
none of them have any hint of distortion
i drive 'em pretty hard using a little dot MKiii all tube
and a pono in balanced mode and never a hint
i'm wondering if there are some bad ones going around from a newer batch

Users who are viewing this thread

Back