Grado modders go Magnum
Oct 19, 2015 at 2:28 PM Post #3,486 of 4,994
More impressions: To my ears, the frequency balance of these is overall quite natural. It reminds me of a more intimate, clearer sounding HD600 (with a sacrifice soundstage). Compared to previous Magnum iterations, I would place these in between the clinical X/V5 and smooth sounding V4. The V6 is more similar overall to the V4 in that it has a very nice, lush midrange. What distinguishes the V6, however, is that sub bass notes actually come through rather than just get cut off. I think the V6 has even deeper and tighter bass than the X, but sacrifices less midrange than the X does. I have been using S-Cush style pads from a 3rd party, and I totally love them. You can get them here. I went to a local hifi store to try out bowl pads and I think they sounded good, but simply not to my taste. I will report back when I get a chance to try out more pads.

Here is a pic of my finished build:

Oct 19, 2015 at 2:38 PM Post #3,487 of 4,994
  More impressions: To my ears, the frequency balance of these is overall quite natural. It reminds me of a more intimate, clearer sounding HD600 (with a sacrifice soundstage). Compared to previous Magnum iterations, I would place these in between the clinical X/V5 and smooth sounding V4. The V6 is more similar overall to the V4 in that it has a very nice, lush midrange. What distinguishes the V6, however, is that sub bass notes actually come through rather than just get cut off. I think the V6 has even deeper and tighter bass than the X, but sacrifices less midrange than the X does. I have been using S-Cush style pads from a 3rd party, and I totally love them. You can get them here. I went to a local hifi store to try out bowl pads and I think they sounded good, but simply not to my taste. I will report back when I get a chance to try out more pads.

Here is a pic of my finished build:

I find myself using flats/quarter-modded S-Cush more often now too. Gives a richer, bassier sound. Can't wait to get my V6 in!

Oct 19, 2015 at 3:58 PM Post #3,488 of 4,994
Just a quick glance at some initial measurements:

Stock V6 with Flats: Strong bass (to be expected with 3 vents open), very nice midrange without any 2kHz shout, extended highs

Modded (damped plus hybrid leather pads) - looks kinda like HD800 FR now

@Rhydon: Very well done! I like them very much, especially the mids and highs, which remind me of the best V4s I used to own.

Oct 19, 2015 at 4:00 PM Post #3,489 of 4,994
  Just a quick glance at some initial measurements:

Stock V6 with Flats: Strong bass (to be expected with 3 vents open), very nice midrange without any 2kHz shout, extended highs

Modded (damped plus hybrid leather pads) - looks kinda like HD800 FR now

@Rhydon: Very well done! I like them very much, especially the mids and highs, which remind me of the best V4s I used to own.

Mind posting a pic of those leather hybrid pads you are referring to?​

Oct 19, 2015 at 4:12 PM Post #3,491 of 4,994

These.

The V6 have replaced the Turbulent X (V5) drivers. The highs of the V6 are smoother.

Ohh cool! Thanks for the link.

Side note: Rhydon informed me that these drivers were tuned to be used with the Grado L-Cush pads but...I can't help but love the S-Cush knockoffs I'm using right now haha. I look forward to more impressions from everyone.

Oct 20, 2015 at 6:07 PM Post #3,494 of 4,994
I just got my drivers in the mail. Also, just read an interesting email that Rhydon sent out to the people that bought the V6 drivers. Good stuff, check your emails!
wink.gif

Are you talking about the 3d printable cup program? 

What do you think, are you going to give them a try?

Oct 20, 2015 at 6:14 PM Post #3,495 of 4,994
I just got my drivers in the mail. Also, just read an interesting email that Rhydon sent out to the people that bought the V6 drivers. Good stuff, check your emails!:wink:

Are you talking about the 3d printable cup program? 

What do you think, are you going to give them a try?
yes'sir. I don't have access to a printer but he mentioned something, I'm guessing it's a website (?) were they'll make 'em for you?
It should also be fun to stick some grado drivers in those 3d printed cups and see what they can do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back