Grado modders go Magnum
Feb 6, 2019 at 4:05 PM Post #4,711 of 4,994
It looks like they might be 3.5mm TS or TRS connectors.

This is what I'd prefer to use but I haven't found a quality, robust female connector that may be removed from the cup and replaced should it fail.

And on that note does anyone know of a quality, robust female 2.5mm or 3.5mm connector that may be installed securely in wood cups, and removed from the cup and replaced should if fail. I would MUCH prefer to use a phono type connector.

Feb 6, 2019 at 4:27 PM Post #4,712 of 4,994
This is what I'd prefer to use but I haven't found a quality, robust female connector that may be removed from the cup and replaced should it fail.

And on that note does anyone know of a quality, robust female 2.5mm or 3.5mm connector that may be installed securely in wood cups, and removed from the cup and replaced should if fail. I would MUCH prefer to use a phono type connector.

You might try checking on Aliexpress.com. They do have the following 3.5mm female in 10 packs for about $3.50 - and a wait on shipping from China. Not sure if this is what you were thinking of?
3.5mm female.JPG

Feb 9, 2019 at 1:47 PM Post #4,716 of 4,994
Thanks for the replies!

Unfortunately none of these jacks have a threaded barrel/collar long enough to extend all the way through the wall of a wood cup or provide enough thread for a retention nut.
I've been using SMC jacks and you can find some that will have a long enough barrel to extend through the wall of most wood cups but I've also just used hot glue for instances where the barrel is not long enough, just incase I want to remove them.

Feb 9, 2019 at 8:33 PM Post #4,718 of 4,994
Another thing worth mentioning is that Moon Audio does an impossibly clean job doing the mod which makes me wonder how the hell they do it? I mean, not one scratch on the drivers? Really?

Makes me wonder since they are authorized by Grado if Grado gives them the headphone without the drivers glued in or what?
:thinking:
Any other conspiracy theories out there?

Feb 9, 2019 at 9:18 PM Post #4,719 of 4,994
Another thing worth mentioning is that Moon Audio does an impossibly clean job doing the mod which makes me wonder how the hell they do it? I mean, not one scratch on the drivers? Really?

Makes me wonder since they are authorized by Grado if Grado gives them the headphone without the drivers glued in or what?
:thinking:
Any other conspiracy theories out there?

I had a pair of RS-2 Grados a few years back that I took out the drivers to repair the cups and refinish them. It was pure hell removing the glue around the drivers.

Feb 10, 2019 at 2:23 AM Post #4,722 of 4,994
A while back a headfi poster helped me take out the drivers of my RS2e by suggesting the use of vinegar to dissolve the glue and it made it quite a bit easier and trying it on a friends GS1000e using vinegar to start with it was much easier to do.

Feb 10, 2019 at 7:26 AM Post #4,723 of 4,994
I can't go into great detail at this point. But... there is a product in the works to allow you to ditch the Grado python cables and replace them with detachable cables and without having to liberate the drivers to complete the conversion.

If you can hold off for a bit, it may be worth the wait.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back