Grado modders go Magnum
Dec 12, 2018 at 2:14 AM Post #4,696 of 4,994
Wow, Deaj, you're work is looking fabulous. Your work reminds of details that Marty would apply in his builds. Very nice. I'm content with my v.7 drivers, wooden cups, G-cush pads being driven by a Fiio X5 - for now The v.8, though, has gotten my interest and I should have snagged a pair of the drivers during the black Friday special sale.

Though, I have so many other projects lined up, I'm afraid I wouldn't be able to get to the next headphones until summer. :O

Thanks wje! :)

Update from my last post: After a good bit of listening (Balanced pads) the beyerdynamic DT 1990 Pro headphone isn't going anywhere. With the Analytical pads they serve a similar purpose as my SR325 / Magnum V8 build and I found myself reaching for the Magnum set over the DT 1990 most often. The DT 990'sc Balanced pads are where it's at for me.

Dec 12, 2018 at 2:54 AM Post #4,697 of 4,994
Change the cups to the cabinet and it becomes John Borwick quote from his book.

Well, I want to have a tuning in between HD800S and HD660S. Treble of HD800S and Mids of HD660S.

I mean to say, till 1kHz it remains neutral as HD660S, then the Dip according to solderdude graphs at diyaudioheaven, which starts from 1khz should be between HD660S and HD800S, and the average of sound goes all the way to treble.

I was able to find ZF foam on amazon and aliexpress in blocks(mentioned by Spirit Torino). Will be using CNC to cut a G cushion out of it and then wrap it into Merino wool. Let's wait...I am going to pull the order then

I fell in love with beautiful audio Merino earcups. It improves stock grado immensely with Bass department and tamed the peak a little bit, making it sound non grado-esque and more like a normal open back headphone..

I am still not used to grado house sound ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

But I found the potential on these forums like epsilon, nhoord, magnum, turbulent X, reddit etc

I saw some innerfidelity graph and stratoGrado and I was shocked by the results.

So, now I have also jumped into the world of grado modding

You are not going to accomplish what you are describing with a Grado-ish design no matter what drivers you are going to use, the chamber is to small and narrow and mainly responsible for the Grado-esque sound signature.
Have a look here:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/gra...nd-builds-thread.793136/page-18#post-12666254

Last edited:
Dec 12, 2018 at 3:33 AM Post #4,698 of 4,994
v8 are really good so am certain 8.1 will be as good or better. By NC value, do you mean the gcodes? If you have them, would you be so kind as to share? thank you
classic CNC numerical inputs. G codes are in new CNC

i have 18 years old cnc..

i would be upgrading one as G code is easier.

i can share the notepad file of 3D scanned image but then its upto you how you use it as the new CNC are not compatible with old dataline and control of NC

mine is a NC with computer connected to feed the data

not the new CNC machines, and i live in india, so inflation doesnt let me buy one

but if somebody has old CNC machine, i mean 20 years old

i can provide NC values

but then make sure that Shipibo audio dont wreck me for stealing design

pm me for other details

Dec 14, 2018 at 4:46 AM Post #4,699 of 4,994
Here's a look at the build I'm currently working on...
DjBMEs5.jpg

bX4mLvJ.jpg

gUjeL2z.jpg

WOW, just WOW!!!!
Those look amazing!!!
If they sound as good as they look, you should go into selling those :wink:

Dec 14, 2018 at 5:47 PM Post #4,700 of 4,994
WOW, just WOW!!!!
Those look amazing!!!
If they sound as good as they look, you should go into selling those :wink:

Thanks! :)

A friend and I are looking into the possibility of turning our own cups. If this opportunity pans out I'll next be looking into doing custom builds as time allows. time will tell. :)

Feb 2, 2019 at 9:12 PM Post #4,701 of 4,994
Here are a couple quick pictures of builds I completed this week...

This first build is using Shipibo Limba wood cups and Magnum V8.1 drivers.
99egLoa.jpg

This next build is using Rholupat Carica Mahogany wood cups and Magnum V8.1 drivers.
8dtxlXk.jpg

I'll get some better pics on Monday and post them in place of the two images above, along with some notes about each sets sonic characteristics.

Feb 4, 2019 at 6:44 PM Post #4,703 of 4,994
Anyone know what happened to SpinAF? Website and social media seems to be MIA.

Unfortunate but not surprising. They seem to have been mostly spinning their wheels for quite a while. Their rotation limited gimbals were in devopment never materialized and the few products they had been selling on their site sold out, never to return. It looks like they shut down. This is unfortunate.

Feb 4, 2019 at 6:48 PM Post #4,704 of 4,994
Unfortunate but not surprising. They seem to have been mostly spinning their wheels for quite a while. Their rotation limited gimbals were in devopment never materialized and the few products they had been selling on their site sold out, never to return. It looks like they shut down. This is unfortunate.

I see there's a couple pair of modified Grado headphones on Ebay at this time and the seller is "spinaf".

Feb 5, 2019 at 11:37 AM Post #4,707 of 4,994
I exchanged emails with them about 3 months ago when I bought one of their last head bands from their site. They said that they had a large credit card fraud problem and that they were considering getting out of the Grado mod business.

Ouch...that really sucks. Hopefully they can come back as a part time operation and at least keep selling some basic mods and cups...

Feb 6, 2019 at 2:58 PM Post #4,710 of 4,994
Great job Deaj! Very professional.

What type of connectors are those?

Hi Rhydon :)

Those are Sennheiser HD800 type connectors. The advantages are their small diameter, ease of termination and installation (hex nut, lock washer, knurled collar, solder well on the pins) and ease of removal or replacement.

All that said I'm not fond of how the cable connectors seat. They work their way loose due to poor retention. I crimp the very end of the cable connectors slightly out of round and this resolves the issue.

I'm playing with the idea of using mini XLR connectors on the next build. It'll be a little while before I build the next headphone. Rholupat is out of stock and they have no estimate for when more will be available.

Side notes:

The Limba cups are Shipibo Audio (on Etsy), and they're very well made. The drivers seat snugly, both cups are completely uniform, they're very nicely finished in hand rubbed oil, and (I love this bit) no cable slot. At request they drilled the cable holes out to 7mm, the diameter necessary for the aforementioned connectors. These cups are a nice option for modders and builders.

Przem is a pleasure to deal with. I have several of their slim rod block and gimbal sets I really like them. The Concord labs polished gimbal sets are gorgeous but they are weighty. The Shipibo slim sets are as light as the stock Grado blocks and gimbals.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back