Grado modders go Magnum
Oct 2, 2017 at 5:13 PM Post #4,426 of 4,994
Hey all, goong to ask an off topic question as i know alot of folks here use smc connectors still. Ive been using tbem for years, had a stash of them, but need some more. Last time I bought them from eBay a few months back I got some insanely terrible quality ones. Where are you folks buying your female smc/sma connectors from nowadays? Also would be awesome not to buy from China through eBay just due to shipping times alone, was 1 month last time!

Oct 3, 2017 at 2:15 AM Post #4,427 of 4,994
The last package of 10 that I got didn't have the caps so i'm still waiting on them but the previous order from a different Chinese company was decent quality: https://www.ebay.com/usr/xcailau?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2754 (sadly they don't seem to sell the SMC connectors anymore).

The new batch from: http://www.ebay.com/itm/SMC-Female-...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649 are okay but the barrel / cap section is a little smaller than the ones from xcailau so I can't use 24awg wires with it.

Oct 3, 2017 at 11:38 AM Post #4,428 of 4,994
Thanks for the link, I think that may be the same vendor I used before, I really did not like the product. Also trying to stay away from shipping from China as it puts me out a month on finishing 2 headphones. An on topic discussion, really interested in hearing more reviews on the v8 drivers. I still have everything setup for a build, a basic one but I still have my cocobolo outer shells. Been thinking of building another set, havnt heard anything since, the v4 or 5, can't remember which one I had without looking through old posts. I miss the sound of the "grado" style drivers even though I have sets thay technically best them.

Oct 3, 2017 at 2:36 PM Post #4,430 of 4,994
What was it about the quality that was bad besides the smaller barrel for the center wire and smaller cap size? Curious so I can check the last batch that I got.

They broke extremely easily. As in, all 8 I got broke, was able to use the last pair I tried but not without tinkering. Also, whatever they were plated with, did not like to be soldered onto. I've gotten much better quality ones in the past, and d idnt ever have this issue. But, don't remember where I got them from!

Oct 3, 2017 at 4:52 PM Post #4,431 of 4,994
I tried one pair of SMC jacks from the "new" batch and they seem to be decent, and the solder sticks really well with normal rosin flux. The nut is free spinning and actually seems better than the old batch but as I noted it will not take larger than 26awg cable.
Here's a picture of the 3 different sizes:
SMC sizes.jpg
The last batch is the middle one

Oct 5, 2017 at 3:38 PM Post #4,432 of 4,994
Have you received the V8s and dropped them into cups yet?
OK, they're in and burning. With just a cursory listen, I would not be able to tell you the difference between the V7 and V8. Maybe after the burn in there will be a marked charge, but so far..............which is not to say that's a bad thing. I love how the V7's sound in these cups

File Oct 01, 12 05 50 PM.jpeg

Oct 9, 2017 at 7:15 PM Post #4,433 of 4,994
I have been curious enough to order the Nhoord v2, Epsilon R1 and the V8 drivers and can share some short impressions and comparisons.
When I listen to the Nhoords I think: this sounds very good! It's not to bright and sound is clean. Good balance. But for me, unfortunately, I soon start to feel uneasy and don't feel like listen to music any further. I'm not sure why. I move on to the R1: brighter, more detailed, more dynamic and very involving! Very beautiful voices! But for some music R1 is too bright and the treble has a slight metallic hue and is a little harsh. So I move on to the V8. Maybe not yet fully burned in, but bass has settled by now. The first things I noticed about this one was better imaging than what I am used to , that no area is more emphasized than the other, a very pleasant timbre and a very very realistic tone. I feel so close to the music that it almost spooks me.:) The V8 is less aggressive and not as mid centric as the R1. There is nothing bothering me. I just listen to music. I haven't heard the V7, but I know that the V8 is a completely new driver, and I'm really glad I got this one!

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_cb2.jpg
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_1451.jpg
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_1592.jpg

Oct 9, 2017 at 10:45 PM Post #4,434 of 4,994
@kakao , nice work and I have a few questions:
What ear pads did you use for your comparisons?
What genres of music did you use?
DAC or amp used?

While I haven't heard the V8 yet I've been lucky to hear the beautiful V7 build by @fleasbaby and I agree that they seem to have good imaging but at the expense of being borderline sibilant to me. The Nhoord is the warmest of the 3 with a slight mid-bass hump, sort of like the HD650 but the mids are just a bit recessed and the highs while nice with some sparkle are not as extended like the R1 or V7, but this also keeps them from becoming sibilant even with poor recordings. The R1 has more of a HD800 sound to me, very clean, too clean at times which can make it sound sterile at times and bass that goes lower than the V7 and Nhoord but can seem bass lite since it doesn't have the mid-bass hump. The V7 was the least favorite for 2 reasons: 1) it sounds better with Grado L-pads which I really don't care for, and 2) it lacks bass in that it doesn't have the mid-bass hump of the Nhoord and it doesn't go low like the R1. Another possible reason that the V7 was my least favorite is that I don't think the cups were modded like I normally do with my builds which is to place a 11-13mm band of dynamat around the cups and either more dynamat or sorbothane on the back of the magnet housing.

I also only use generic/Earzonk G-pads which do alter the sound quite a bit over the Grado L-pads.

Oct 9, 2017 at 11:38 PM Post #4,435 of 4,994
I am curious about this forum. I am a Grado headphone loyalist. In particular, I use the RS1i, th4e GS1000i, and the PS1000e. So I am intrigued with this DIY forum. Are these DIY headphones from the various manufacturers that everyone is posting here to match or exceed any of the headphones I listed ?

I am curious.

Thanks much everyone !!!!

Oct 10, 2017 at 6:49 AM Post #4,436 of 4,994
@kakao , nice work and I have a few questions:
What ear pads did you use for your comparisons?
What genres of music did you use?
DAC or amp used?

While I haven't heard the V8 yet I've been lucky to hear the beautiful V7 build by @fleasbaby and I agree that they seem to have good imaging but at the expense of being borderline sibilant to me. The Nhoord is the warmest of the 3 with a slight mid-bass hump, sort of like the HD650 but the mids are just a bit recessed and the highs while nice with some sparkle are not as extended like the R1 or V7, but this also keeps them from becoming sibilant even with poor recordings. The R1 has more of a HD800 sound to me, very clean, too clean at times which can make it sound sterile at times and bass that goes lower than the V7 and Nhoord but can seem bass lite since it doesn't have the mid-bass hump. The V7 was the least favorite for 2 reasons: 1) it sounds better with Grado L-pads which I really don't care for, and 2) it lacks bass in that it doesn't have the mid-bass hump of the Nhoord and it doesn't go low like the R1. Another possible reason that the V7 was my least favorite is that I don't think the cups were modded like I normally do with my builds which is to place a 11-13mm band of dynamat around the cups and either more dynamat or sorbothane on the back of the magnet housing.

I also only use generic/Earzonk G-pads which do alter the sound quite a bit over the Grado L-pads.

Hi DavidA, thanks, I use L-pads with the Nhoords and the V8, but S-pads with the R1.The R1 is really to bright for me with the L-pads. (I have somewhat sensitive ears) I never tried G-pads.

My sensitive ears are specialized in noticing sibilance. This fact has been a problem for me since I started listening to headphones. But now I have found the StageDiver SD-2 to use as IEM and the V8 to use as main headphone. The V8 does not emphasize sibilance at all! And I can listen to these really loud without fatigue. A brand new pleasure to me! But it seems, from what I have read, that people have different frequency areas where they are sensitive.
What I have read about the V7 does not describe what I hear from the V8. The V8 is probably warmer and smoother sounding.

The SR325e, RS2e and Epsilon R1 I can't use as all-rounders. They sound thin and harsh with some music styles. But the V8 I can use for all music styles. Maybe that also says something about the mid bass.

I listen to female vocals a lot, singer-songwriter, indie pop/rock/alternative, some jazz and classical, afro/latin jazz and such, but not so much to metal, hard rock, techno or rap and such.

I was using the spalted tamarind cups for the Nhoord drivers, but took them out to make place for the V8, and placed them in the plastic cups from a Grado SR60e and used a cable from a Monk+ earbud. I actually like the Nhoords a bit better like that. It sounds more precise and cleaned up, allthough slightly more thin and sibilant.

I use the ODAC and The Project Sunrise:

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_159a.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_1599.jpg
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_159e.jpg

Oct 10, 2017 at 8:23 AM Post #4,437 of 4,994
I am curious about this forum. I am a Grado headphone loyalist. In particular, I use the RS1i, th4e GS1000i, and the PS1000e. So I am intrigued with this DIY forum. Are these DIY headphones from the various manufacturers that everyone is posting here to match or exceed any of the headphones I listed ?

I am curious.

Thanks much everyone !!!!
It depends on the sound signature that you are looking for / prefer. While I love the basic Grado sound I've modded everyone of them due to various reasons such as changing the overly heavy cable that Grado uses and also making them removable, opening vent holes to bring "i" series up to date with "e" series, adding dynamat in the cups and on the back of the drivers to clean up and enhance the bass frequencies, putting felt on the back of the buttons to reduce reflected sound waves, and using generic G-pads since they are the most comfortable to me, adds a slight 1-2dB boost to the bass, gives a better more evenly spread out sound stage, and seem to tame the treble a bit due to the drivers being slightly further from my ears.
These alternative drivers such as the Magnum V7/8, Nhoord Red V2 and the various Ypsilon driver are better to me than most Grado headphones and I'd take the Ypsilon G1 and modified Red V2 over the PS1000e and GS1000e due to the Red V2 sounding smoother and more musical to me and the Ypsilon G1 being better sounding from a cleaner, smoother more detailed overall sound.

@kakao , thanks for the detailed reply and I can see why we differ with our impressions since the choice of ear pads makes a fairly large contribution to the sound of any of these builds. Even using OEM L-pads and generic L-pads have a noticeable effect on the sound. I'm sensitive to the 4-5khz area and its why I sold my HD600 due to the small peak it had in that area, but thankfully peaks at higher frequencies don't seem to bother me.
The amps i use are Xonar DG sound card, Teac UD-301 DAC/amp, Lyr2, Ember, Asgard2 and Teac AH-01. The DACs in addition to the UD-301 are Bimby and Modi2uber. And since you were so nice to post some pictures:
R1-d.jpg
R1 in mahogany cups

R1-V7-1.jpg
R1 on the left, Magnum V7 on the right (fleasbaby built)

Red-V2 - Ansagna -1.jpg
Nhoord Red V2 in Angsana cups

Ypsilon-G1-b.jpg
G1 in GS style walnut cups

Oct 10, 2017 at 11:00 AM Post #4,439 of 4,994
DavidA

Thanks much for the detailed response. It is much appreciated !!! OK, so if I am interested in a mod built set of headphones - this would be my criteria:
Sound signature equaling or exceeding the PS1000 line
Sound signature equaling or exceeding the GS1000(I) line
A damned good leather (faux) headband like the ones you will find on a Sony Z7 or the Beyerdynamics T1.
I like an open soundstage with excellent centering, which is why I like opened ended headphones like what you would find on the Grado line of headphones
Bass that sounds excellent which gives layers of bass, but it should not be overwhelming, taking away from the rest of the sound.
Excellent Midrange without it overtaking the sound signature, nor should it be laid back either (take note Audezee)
And of course sparkling highs like on the PS1000e Beyerdynamics T1 V2, the GS1000i, or the Senheiser HD800.
A thick copper headphone cable like that on the GS1000i. Thick cables do not bother me a bit. I feel they add more body to the sound (which they do).
The removal and swapping of cables is secondary, but not as important as those that I listed above.

Note that I do NOT want a sound signature like anything I heard on the Audezee LCD line. I felt that the midrange bloomed and the sound stage being over exaggerated, which took away from the enjoyment of listening to the headphones. I tried auditioning them twice years ago. But once I heard the Grado PS1000, the Beyerdynamic T1 and the Senheiser HD800, I knew I could not go back listening to the Audezee headphones.

So who is going to build me my dream headphone ?? :D

Or I could go in another direction - modifying my Grado PS1000e and the GS1000i headphones to see if I could excel the sound signature on them. If I wanted to go this route, how is the best way to gather the information I need to modify them (or to send them to someone here who has had successful modifications of them) ?

Note that I do not have any woodworking skills. So making my very own cups is out of the question. I would need to rely on others here if they offer those services.

Oct 10, 2017 at 12:35 PM Post #4,440 of 4,994
I also want to say to all you Headphone Modders out there, including from the people posting their headphone photos on this page - your mods look great !!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back