Grado modders go Magnum
Sep 7, 2012 at 10:52 AM Post #1,861 of 4,994
Quote:

Just the drivers.

For $250 you get the magnum lite which includes drivers + aluminum driver housing which hooks up to SR-325i cups. It's a worthwhile investment for the sound you get.

+1 unless you have access to wood and lathes, in which case... start turning out cups. Wood can beat aluminum, if you do it right.. which is tricky and involves some trial and error or trial and wishful/ignorant thinking.

Sep 7, 2012 at 12:26 PM Post #1,862 of 4,994
Quote:
+1 unless you have access to wood and lathes, in which case... start turning out cups. Wood can beat aluminum, if you do it right.. which is tricky and involves some trial and error or trial and wishful/ignorant thinking.

I really like the MCA wood cups because they are one piece and don't require glueing (or screwing) two separate cups together. 
Seems that must be better than two pieces.

The ultimate metal 'Grado' would be a one piece milled cup with some clever way to secure Magnum/Grado drivers. The grills could also be machined out of the aluminum billet, making these truly 'one piece'. The whole cup could then be treated/anodized etc. Maybe score some of Joe's special goop to rub around....

Sep 7, 2012 at 6:15 PM Post #1,863 of 4,994
Quote:

As a dude, it's tough to admit when you effed up though, if it was me I'd just not admit my headphones sounded worse even if they did. Thats why Luke had to come to me cuz he prolly felt the same way lol.

Sep 7, 2012 at 6:35 PM Post #1,864 of 4,994
Quote:

As a dude, it's tough to admit when you effed up though, if it was me I'd just not admit my headphones sounded worse even if they did. Thats why Luke had to come to me cuz he prolly felt the same way lol.

yes, it's very hard to pick out differences. And if you are expecting improvement... it can get you in trouble sometimes.

I can't tell you how many grado mods I did, enthusiastically only to reverse them a couple months later and realize they were making my headphones sound worse (Dynamat on the back of the magnets and hole-punching being the big ones).

It's hard to remain objective to your own mods/products.. The best thing you can do is find yourself some well recorded albums that you listen to as you progress. Just jam out and really take the music in and listen for anything you don't like.. If you don't hear anything you don't like after a month or two.. You're golden, leave em alone.

Modding should be a means to an end, not just done for the hell of it. A big lesson I learned on the path to happiness in this little headphone hobby.

Sep 7, 2012 at 7:13 PM Post #1,865 of 4,994
Quote:
I can't tell you how many grado mods I did, enthusiastically only to reverse them a couple months later and realize they were making my headphones sound worse (Dynamat on the back of the magnets and hole-punching being the big ones).

Ahh the famous reverse hole un-mod...

Sep 7, 2012 at 8:12 PM Post #1,866 of 4,994
Quote:

Yeah, I first came to Chris because I knew his ear was very well tuned and could help me with the sound. Interestingly enough I had it pretty much figured out before I brought it to Chris, but he helped a lot in the fine changes that got them to where they are now. A true collaborative effort.

Sep 8, 2012 at 8:27 AM Post #1,868 of 4,994
Contacted Rhydon again about Magnums lite.. They were offering lite version, but as of now they only sell Magnum drivers.. Is there anywhere else I can find that aluminum housing?
I really like this aluminum look, that's why I'm so eager to make full alu configuration. 

Sep 8, 2012 at 3:18 PM Post #1,869 of 4,994
Quote:
Contacted Rhydon again about Magnums lite.. They were offering lite version, but as of now they only sell Magnum drivers.. Is there anywhere else I can find that aluminum housing?
I really like this aluminum look, that's why I'm so eager to make full alu configuration. 

Your best bet is probably to post a Wanted ad in the trade forums. Someone has a pair laying around.

Sep 8, 2012 at 6:02 PM Post #1,870 of 4,994
Quote:
yes, it's very hard to pick out differences. And if you are expecting improvement... it can get you in trouble sometimes.

It's hard to remain objective to your own mods/products.. The best thing you can do is find yourself some well recorded albums that you listen to as you progress. Just jam out and really take the music in and listen for anything you don't like.. If you don't hear anything you don't like after a month or two.. You're golden, leave em alone.

Modding should be a means to an end, not just done for the hell of it. A big lesson I learned on the path to happiness in this little headphone hobby.

Yeah the entire time I was completely oblivious to the fact that the 4-hole mod and dynamat was creating way too much turbulence in that air chamber for something made out of plastic and loosely fitted together with glue. Being a man and having beer listed as one of my diehard hobbies, I'm obviously not going to just blurt out that I ******* up LOL.

Nah but all is good in gradomod land. Just cups and cables for me..

Anybody see that supermodded SR-225 in the sales section? Bleh.

Sep 9, 2012 at 10:35 PM Post #1,871 of 4,994
Quote:

Yeah the entire time I was completely oblivious to the fact that the 4-hole mod and dynamat was creating way too much turbulence in that air chamber for something made out of plastic and loosely fitted together with glue. Being a man and having beer listed as one of my diehard hobbies, I'm obviously not going to just blurt out that I ******* up LOL.

Nah but all is good in gradomod land. Just cups and cables for me..

Anybody see that supermodded SR-225 in the sales section? Bleh.

I don't think it's turbulence.. so much a physical dampening, but I have no proof to my theory.

Cups and cables.. sounds good :)

I did see them, I'm not a fan either, although that guy is a really, really nice guy. Hopefully someone likes them and buys them.

Sep 10, 2012 at 10:39 AM Post #1,872 of 4,994
So I finally found some SR325 aluminum cups, but I am looking for the housing to put the drivers in.  Anywhere I can get a set of those for a reasonable price?  I would prefer to get aluminum ones, then wood, then the normal grado plastic ones if I can get my hands on them.

Thanks

Sep 10, 2012 at 10:46 AM Post #1,873 of 4,994
So I finally found some SR325 aluminum cups, but I am looking for the housing to put the drivers in.  Anywhere I can get a set of those for a reasonable price?  I would prefer to get aluminum ones, then wood, then the normal grado plastic ones if I can get my hands on them.

Thanks

I'd seriously suggest going with wood inserts. They sound better and are lighter. Plus if you don't like the wood look, you won't see them anyway.

Sep 10, 2012 at 10:50 AM Post #1,874 of 4,994
I've been away from these boards for quite some time, but I remember that Cabillas was offering some slip on woodies for the drivers - that is if he's still around. He was based in Spain.

Sep 10, 2012 at 12:35 PM Post #1,875 of 4,994
Thanks guys, will try to source.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back