Grado modders go Magnum
Sep 2, 2012 at 10:00 PM Post #1,846 of 4,994
I like them, here's a look.
I love the sound of the Magnums and after about forty hours on them they just seem to get better and better, but how knows if it has anything to do with the silver cables. I just
ordered some copper cables to see if I can hear the difference.

I really really love the shape of these cups. Who made them for you? ( Lostmidrange? )

Also regarding the Mahogany cups from Grado I remember reading that they are soaked/treated with something that give the sound that John Grado wanted.

Sep 2, 2012 at 10:52 PM Post #1,847 of 4,994
Quote:
question... i though garados were expensive and already perfectly made from factory.. why is there so much modding of them needed?

First, Grados are NOT expensive and tend to be the least expensive high-end headphone out there.
      Second, they are NOT factory produced, but are assembled basically by hand in a small shop.
      There is NO modding needed at all ..... it's just that modding can be fun and can sometimes
      modestly change sound signature if so desired, or improve on the look and comfort.

Sep 3, 2012 at 5:18 AM Post #1,848 of 4,994
Quote:
can he recable the cans if you just send them to him?

Quote:
yes

I think he charges... 20-25, and you probably gotta cover shipping. A pretty straight price.

Quote:
Attw (according to the website), standard charge is to recable is $40 for most 'phones, including return postage. He lists a surcharge for some more difficult 'phones or ones requiring hardware (plugs). The details are on this page: http://headphonelounge.com/products/custom-cables/silver-ray-headphone-cables/

Quote:
My bad, I was just on the site.. I guess I pulled that number from nowhere.

It varies. *edited to remove actual price* Parbaked is dead on about it though. It varies due to difficulty and how much I like/not like you though :)

PM me, I'll set you guys straight and work something out with yall any time of day.

Thank you for the support guys. It's actually kinda cool to watch people talk about your stuff :)

Sep 3, 2012 at 9:32 AM Post #1,849 of 4,994
Hey all:
Never tried a DIY project, but would like to maybe try this. Just a few starter question for you experienced folks. So it looks like I could order a set of drivers, get a headband, woodies and cable from Headphone Lounge...how about the rest? What would I use for the side holders and metal band? How does the driver attach to the cup and how does the side piece attach? If there is a thread with this info...please point me in the right direction. Thanks!

Sep 3, 2012 at 10:45 AM Post #1,850 of 4,994
Quote:
Hey all:
Never tried a DIY project, but would like to maybe try this. Just a few starter question for you experienced folks. So it looks like I could order a set of drivers, get a headband, woodies and cable from Headphone Lounge...how about the rest? What would I use for the side holders and metal band? How does the driver attach to the cup and how does the side piece attach? If there is a thread with this info...please point me in the right direction. Thanks!

One usually starts with a complete pair of Grados and modifys from there. Acquiring all the parts is otherwise difficult. 
watch this video to understand how it works:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9A6UwkQFTdg

For those looking to buy Grado headband for parts, these with 225 outer cups are on ebay:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Grado-headband-and-screened-cups-/380467042707?pt=US_Replacement_Parts_Tools&hash=item58959a5993#ht_500wt_1104

Mod on!

Sep 3, 2012 at 10:47 AM Post #1,851 of 4,994
Quote:
For those looking to buy Grado headband for parts, these with 225 outer cups are on ebay:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Grado-headband-and-screened-cups-/380467042707?pt=US_Replacement_Parts_Tools&hash=item58959a5993#ht_500wt_1104

correction, the cup screens look 'after market', not original. therefore cups are probably from SR60 - SR125, not that it matters.

Sep 3, 2012 at 11:04 AM Post #1,852 of 4,994
Quote:
Hey all:

You could go with the Sony headband from the 7506 model.

It can be found for $20 here
http://www.trewaudio.com/store/Sony-7506-Replacement-Headband-and-Cups.html

Sep 3, 2012 at 5:53 PM Post #1,853 of 4,994
Quote:

Hi Dennnic, welcome to Head-fi, sorry for your wallet.

These threads might be of interest to you too and perhaps more suited for your question:

Post your Grado mods

The Official Grado 325i Owners Club

p.s. Are you Northern European by any chance?

No, I'm from south-east Europe, from a country where no one have ever heard for Magnums.. That's my biggest problem. I can't hear them anywhere. My Grado has been working all day for past week and I must admit, I'm pretty impressed by the sound! A lot of details, wide soundstage, dynamic, but a little too bright for my taste. 120$ for drivers is not a fortune, but finding someone with paypal and someone to replace them is pain in the ass.. Are you folks satisfied with a change in the sound? What can I expect from Magnums?

As for the cables.. Silver cables makes sound a little bit brighter and with more details, but cooper cables makes the oposite, a little warmer sound with more bass. But it all depends on headphones, not all of them will act the same when replacing a cable. Anyway, the cable shoud be good if it is used on reference models, as someone said. Thanks for replies! :)

Sep 3, 2012 at 6:09 PM Post #1,854 of 4,994
If you're looking for a change in sound, the easiest and cheapest way would be to change the foam ear pads, either Todd the vinyl junke flat pads or sennheiser 414 pads will have an effect on the sound.  Even just putting the regular grado pads on back to front will make a difference.  You can go on from there, i combined flat pads with extra foam taken from old grado L-cush pads, which increased bass without losing soundstage (which is what you would otherwise get with regular flat pads).  The joy of all pad mods is that they're easily reversed, just put new pads on and you're back to where you started.

Sep 7, 2012 at 8:18 AM Post #1,860 of 4,994
Quote:
Can someone tell me what will I get for $120 from Rhydon? Just magnum drivers or drivers with aluminium driver housing?

Just the drivers.

For $250 you get the magnum lite which includes drivers + aluminum driver housing which hooks up to SR-325i cups. It's a worthwhile investment for the sound you get.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back