Grado modders go Magnum
Nov 6, 2011 at 1:00 AM Post #166 of 4,994
wje seems to have the goods! D:

Anybody have the MS1000 mod (preferrably with magnum drivers obviously) vs the whole Magnum mod?  I'm itching to get some comparisons...!

Nov 6, 2011 at 3:11 AM Post #167 of 4,994

Quote:
Anybody have the MS1000 mod (preferrably with magnum drivers obviously) vs the whole Magnum mod?  I'm itching to get some comparisons...!

Flipjack, page 1 of this thread.

I am planning to use one of my V4 sets in a Magnumized MS1000 and compare them to Magnumized woodies and aluminums.

Nov 6, 2011 at 3:46 AM Post #168 of 4,994
I read his post but I wanted a bit more, it is helpful though.

The reason I asked is because I have a pre made MS1000 coming to me from Jaben Australia, although I have bought a set of the pink aluminium cups already from the Jaben online store, so if I can get a pair of MS1i and then get some magnum drivers (without the enclosure or the gimbal part) and get similar sounds compared to a full magnum, it would be great.

Although I think I would have problems assembling it myself since I've got no experience with it at all, neither do I have the tools... haha

Quote:

Flipjack, page 1 of this thread.

I am planning to use one of my V4 sets in a Magnumized MS1000 and compare them to Magnumized woodies and aluminums.

Nov 6, 2011 at 3:57 AM Post #169 of 4,994

Quote:
The reason I asked is because I have a pre made MS1000 coming to me from Jaben Australia, although I have bought a set of the pink aluminium cups already from the Jaben online store, so if I can get a pair of MS1i and then get some magnum drivers (without the enclosure or the gimbal part) and get similar sounds compared to a full magnum, it would be great.

Although I think I would have problems assembling it myself since I've got no experience with it at all, neither do I have the tools... haha

BTW, it's the assembling, tweaking and stuff that is the biggest part of the fun.

You would only get a (close to) full Magnum mod if you got hold of an alu MS2 or SR325 together with Rhydon's drivers and air chambers. Rhydon developed his drivers in close synergy with the aluminum air chambers, so basically if you wanted the "real" full Magnum mod you would have to go for this. You would end up with an all aluminum setup similar to the Symphones full mod minus the aluminum gimbals.
This thread, however, also focusses on the use of the Magnum drivers in wood and hybrid setups. And all possible combinations that may spring up in the future.

Nov 6, 2011 at 4:52 AM Post #170 of 4,994

Yeah, if you or others can help me with whatever tools and skills I need, that would be very appreciated! :)

I also want to hear all sorts of tonalities with different setups too, but for my concern, I'm interested at the MS1000 + magnum drivers vs Full blown magnum versions, I want to know what sort of differences there are, that's all.  But I do really appreciate everybody's opinions on all their types of mods too!
Quote:
BTW, it's the assembling, tweaking and stuff that is the biggest part of the fun.

You would only get a (close to) full Magnum mod if you got hold of an alu MS2 or SR325 together with Rhydon's drivers and air chambers. Rhydon developed his drivers in close synergy with the aluminum air chambers, so basically if you wanted the "real" full Magnum mod you would have to go for this. You would end up with an all aluminum setup similar to the Symphones full mod minus the aluminum gimbals.
This thread, however, also focusses on the use of the Magnum drivers in wood and hybrid setups. And all possible combinations that may spring up in the future.

Nov 6, 2011 at 4:56 AM Post #171 of 4,994

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grev /img/forum/go_quote.gif

... I'm interested at the MS1000 + magnum drivers vs Full blown magnum versions, I want to know what sort of differences there are, that's all..

Will be able to post my impressions on the differences/similarities of magnumized and woodied MS1000's vs all-aluminum Magnums vs all-wood Magnums as soon as my three sets of V4's arrive.

Nov 6, 2011 at 5:08 AM Post #172 of 4,994

Quote:

Will be able to post my impressions on the differences/similarities of magnumized and woodied MS1000's vs all-aluminum Magnums vs all-wood Magnums as soon as my three sets of V4's arrive.

That is one "impression" test that I'll be looking forward too.  For me, personally, I just wish I could have gotten used to the extra weight of my SR-325i Grados.  I couldn't ... really, so ventured down the wooden road.  Though, I'm sure we're bound to read about your various differences that you've spotted and have heard between the use in an aluminum cup vs. a wooden cup.  For my own selfish sake, I kind of hope the aluminum combination doesn't trump the wooden cup option - because, my whole thought process could be recycled again ... and, then I could be obsessing over what I could get out of the Aluminum cups and aluminum air chambers with the Magnums.

I little part of my mind wonders if someone from Grado Labs has ordered a pair of Magnum drivers to see what all the "hype" is about.  I'm pretty sure that they monitor certain message areas to ensure they have their hands on the pulse of things with their company.  It would be interesting which of their cups they'd select to test them out with.  I'm sure Grado would be proud of how well someone such as Rhydon has taken a component of theirs, yet modified it appropriately so it's a worthy piece - and, still fits into the rest of the Grado headphone structure.

Amazing stuff.  

Nov 6, 2011 at 9:06 AM Post #175 of 4,994

Quote:
Wje, any impressions as to differences you noticed between the V3.0 you monitored and V4 you own. Know it's kind of early to say, but if there are noticeable differences ...

I put the headphones on again this morning before heading out for some more work.  They had about 4 hours of burn-in time.  I don't really notice a difference that would make me opt for the v.4 over the v.3.  That could change slightly - but, then again, it's hard to tell.  Also, the cups that I used with the v.3 Magnums were of Marty's creation - and, I don't recall the wood type.  With my v.4, I'm using the Iroko cups.  The wood type used in the cups will have some impact with the sound.  I'll post some more impressions after I get 20 - 30 hours of time in on these drivers.

Quote:
Thorough reviews, that would be amazing!  And thanks in advance.

I think eventually, that will be our objective.  However, do keep in mind that a review - no matter how thorough, will still essentially be based on what the listener / reviewer perceived.  While he or she may have had an excellent experience with the product, you might think the complete opposite when you have that product in your environment.  However, with that out of the way, the beauty in the Magnum drivers is the excellent separation of instruments in the music I listen to.  Also, the sound is pretty neutral - yet detailed across the spectrum.  I'm still quite convinced that anyone who may have tried a Grado headphone before and couldn't bear the sound for one reason or another would be a great candidate to try the Magnum drivers.  I think they might be awfully surprised at how much better the sound is. 

In regards to my headphone tweaking, upgrading, etc., I think of myself as a hobbyist / enthusiast with the headphones.  However, with the Magnum drivers, I think the headphones then start to turn a slightly different direction - which is more towards true audiophilia.

Nov 6, 2011 at 9:50 AM Post #176 of 4,994
Having two set of Magnum drivers maybe you should consider getting the chamber ( while they are available 
wink_face.gif
 ) to get two distinc result. Why would you want two woody magnum?  I guest you might go with different wood but. Also for own fear of weight I had the MS2 before and I think the chamber are lighter then original alu cups ( but I don't have the headband yet to properly test )

Quote:
That is one "impression" test that I'll be looking forward too.  For me, personally, I just wish I could have gotten used to the extra weight of my SR-325i Grados.  I couldn't ... really, so ventured down the wooden road.  Though, I'm sure we're bound to read about your various differences that you've spotted and have heard between the use in an aluminum cup vs. a wooden cup.  For my own selfish sake, I kind of hope the aluminum combination doesn't trump the wooden cup option - because, my whole thought process could be recycled again ... and, then I could be obsessing over what I could get out of the Aluminum cups and aluminum air chambers with the Magnums.

I little part of my mind wonders if someone from Grado Labs has ordered a pair of Magnum drivers to see what all the "hype" is about.  I'm pretty sure that they monitor certain message areas to ensure they have their hands on the pulse of things with their company.  It would be interesting which of their cups they'd select to test them out with.  I'm sure Grado would be proud of how well someone such as Rhydon has taken a component of theirs, yet modified it appropriately so it's a worthy piece - and, still fits into the rest of the Grado headphone structure.

Amazing stuff.  

Nov 6, 2011 at 10:26 AM Post #177 of 4,994

Quote:
For me, personally, I just wish I could have gotten used to the extra weight of my SR-325i Grados.  I couldn't ... really, so ventured down the wooden road.  Though, I'm sure we're bound to read about your various differences that you've spotted and have heard between the use in an aluminum cup vs. a wooden cup.  For my own selfish sake, I kind of hope the aluminum combination doesn't trump the wooden cup option - because, my whole thought process could be recycled again ... and, then I could be obsessing over what I could get out of the Aluminum cups and aluminum air chambers with the Magnums.

The weight of full alus also kind of made me think of possible options. I was certain I should not only try the drivers alone but also find out about the synergy of Rhydon's drivers with the alu air chamber. I prepared myself for a full alu setup consisting of modded Jaben alu outers and the Symphones air chamber inners in order to end up with a full alu setup. Yet I was thinking if I could have the driver plus alu air chamber experience combined with a wooden outer  to save on weight. I think the outer, be it alu or wood, will not really have much of an impact on the sound, the difference might be more about aesthetics, look and feel as well as weight.
I will soon be able to find out once I can A/B those two puppies:

Nov 6, 2011 at 10:58 AM Post #178 of 4,994

This is my retional too. The slip-on will mostly be aesthetic but for sure the wood will be also lighter. Best of both world.

biggrin.gif

Quote:

The weight of full alus also kind of made me think of possible options. I was certain I should not only try the drivers alone but also find out about the synergy of Rhydon's drivers with the alu air chamber. I prepared myself for a full alu setup consisting of modded Jaben alu outers and the Symphones air chamber inners in order to end up with a full alu setup. Yet I was thinking if I could have the driver plus alu air chamber experience combined with a wooden outer  to save on weight. I think the outer, be it alu or wood, will not really have much of an impact on the sound, the difference might be more about aesthetics, look and feel as well as weight.
I will soon be able to find out once I can A/B those two puppies:

Nov 6, 2011 at 1:31 PM Post #179 of 4,994

Quote:
Having two set of Magnum drivers maybe you should consider getting the chamber ( while they are available 
wink_face.gif
 ) to get two distinc result. Why would you want two woody magnum?  I guest you might go with different wood but. Also for own fear of weight I had the MS2 before and I think the chamber are lighter then original alu cups ( but I don't have the headband yet to properly test )

I'm still all over the place as to what to do with the 2nd pair.  How to get them configured, etc.  If anything, they will be a useful pair of backup drivers if anything were to happen to the primary drivers.  When I hear the Magnum drivers in the wooden cup, I can't imagine where the sound could improve anymore.  At this point, it seems right next to heaven.   Then, if I were to hear a pair withe the aluminum chambers and became engrossed with them, I'd have to open up some of my wounds that have already started to heal.  
eek.gif

Nov 6, 2011 at 1:53 PM Post #180 of 4,994

Quote:
I'm still all over the place as to what to do with the 2nd pair.  How to get them configured, etc.  If anything, they will be a useful pair of backup drivers if anything were to happen to the primary drivers.  When I hear the Magnum drivers in the wooden cup, I can't imagine where the sound could improve anymore.  At this point, it seems right next to heaven.   Then, if I were to hear a pair withe the aluminum chambers and became engrossed with them, I'd have to open up some of my wounds that have already started to heal.  
eek.gif

Maybe you can convince Rhydon to let you try a set of chamber with the option  to return them if you don't hear any improvement or just not your cup of tea.  It's to early for me to say anything but I would be very surprise based on the review and comments from member like Currawong that you would be dissapointed. It would also be a good marketing move for Symphones knowing the respect following you have gain on this forum 
wink.gif
. (Rhydon are you reading??)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back