Grado modders go Magnum
Nov 4, 2011 at 12:00 AM Post #136 of 4,994

Quote:
Beautiful shells, I can't wait til someone posts up some comparisons 

What's there to compare?  I've tried the MS-Pros from Allesandro, I've tried 2 pair of wooden Grado SR-225i - which I adored and finally I tried some woody Magnums.  I then placed my order for a pair of drivers (v.4) and then revised my order 2 days later before the shipment, for another pair of drives.  Yes, the sound is THAT good.  Not bright, not too warm, but just blissful.  Very enjoyable to listen to.  In fact, the sound to me was so good, I could easily turn into a couch potato listening to these babies.  

Actually, I have 3 pair heading my way in one shipment.  One pair is for another member in another location - which I'll ship off to him once the drivers arrive.  Soon, the Magnums will be multiplying like rabbits.  Now, with that being said, I'm not dissing on the sound of the SR-225i woodies.  I think they are still at an excellent price point for what is being offered.  I love my SR-225i Grados, but might have to sell my 2nd pair to fund some cups for the 2nd set of Magnum drivers.

Nov 4, 2011 at 2:42 AM Post #137 of 4,994
I have had the V3.5 since they came out in July and have A/B'd them with the HF-2 and a pair of sr125 woodies. 
There is simply nothing to compare, the Magnum's are head and shoulders above both of those. I have also listened to the PS1000's and the Magnums are better across all frequencies, more detailed, better articulation of bass, better decay, more musical.......
As has been said before, the one area where they stand out is detail/ instrument separation, where they are on the same level or better than the LCD-2 or HE5-LE's. 
I do find that I tend to want to increase the bass when I have the option (Arrow 3G with boost of 1 or +2db at 400Hz on Sansui AU-717).
Where I am still undecided is whether I prefer them with the bowls or the larger salad bowls (PS1000). The bass impact is better with the bowls, while sound stage and comfort is better with the salad bowls. I also have the quarter moded 414 pads which don't do much for me.
What are you guys using for pads?

Nov 4, 2011 at 6:22 AM Post #138 of 4,994
Has nobody noticed, the Magnum drivers are framed in silver rather than the black plastic used by Grado? (A nice aesthetic touch which allows for differentiation, I'd like to add)

Nov 4, 2011 at 7:44 AM Post #139 of 4,994
The effect of different pads on the sound is as big as with any Grado I have owned. I am very interested to hear your impressions with respect to pad options you are choosing.
I have been experimenting with my V3.5's and used them in cocobolo woodies with flats, comfies, bowls and reversed senn's. Of course people will not agree as to what sounds good, some will prefer a more neutral sound, others will go for a warmer flavour aso.
My experiences with the different pads are as follows:
Flats: too much bass emphasis, especially on bass-heavy and badly engineered tracks
Bowls: still a little too much bass for my liking, mids and highs excellent
Reversed bowls: bass toned down a bit, preferable to standard bowl mounting.
Reversed Senns: most neutral sound
But this may only apply to my setup and my preferences. Will see how the V4's perform in wood and aluminum.

Nov 4, 2011 at 9:11 AM Post #140 of 4,994
Thanks for the pictures!

Now I have to email Rhydon and get a set of those chambers as well 
eek.gif

Nov 4, 2011 at 9:50 AM Post #143 of 4,994
Eh? I wish. 

To do that I'd need to buy full woodies first.

Just bought a Little Dot 2+, so I'm kinda broke right now. 

Nov 4, 2011 at 12:39 PM Post #144 of 4,994

Quote:
Ok Guy's sit back & relax. I'm presenting you the luxurious new Symphones Magnum Version 4.0 (Canadian Product Heh!)

I can guaranty you that I will have the best sounding SR-60i for a little while (Until I received my custom cups from Martin). Cheers! and thank you Rhydon!

let us know how the housing changes the sound. I would be interested in Turing my RS2's into an RS Magnum 2 hah. I would keep the drivers just add the extra length with the aluminum housing.

Nov 4, 2011 at 1:11 PM Post #145 of 4,994

Quote:
let us know how the housing changes the sound. I would be interested in Turing my RS2's into an RS Magnum 2 hah. I would keep the drivers just add the extra length with the aluminum housing.

I'm not sure the Aluminum Chamber would fit in the RS-2 wood cup if I understand what you are planing to do. The chamber dimension are made for the SR-325, MS2 or any new SRxxi slip on cups. 

Nov 4, 2011 at 4:11 PM Post #146 of 4,994

Quote:
SR60 modding thread is now dead. 

Was fun. 

:s

For people who have the SR series of Grado headphones, they might take things in steps.  Perhaps, initially, they'll just have the wooden cups produced.  Then, as funds permit, the Magnum drivers might come into the picture.  I wouldn't write off the old thread just yet.  However, for many of us, the Magnum represents a new offspring for our upgrade habit.  Just when most of us thought we were at the end of the upgrade process, the Magnum drivers came along and really changed the landscape and the outlook for many of us.

Nov 4, 2011 at 8:56 PM Post #147 of 4,994
OK stupid question time. I just finished surfing around Raydon's site and from what I read you have to send him your Grado's for upgrade. When did he suddenly start sending out his parts and letting people do it themselves? I'm also confused about something else. I know nothing about the Magnums but I do remember a head-fier once telling me the Magnums were a completely different driver. On Raydon's site I'm seeing the Magnum upgrade involves using drivers from the 325i's and Alessandro MS2's. Which is it do they use a completely new driver or work with an existing Grado driver?

Nov 4, 2011 at 9:54 PM Post #148 of 4,994

Quote:
OK stupid question time. I just finished surfing around Raydon's site and from what I read you have to send him your Grado's for upgrade. When did he suddenly start sending out his parts and letting people do it themselves? I'm also confused about something else. I know nothing about the Magnums but I do remember a head-fier once telling me the Magnums were a completely different driver. On Raydon's site I'm seeing the Magnum upgrade involves using drivers from the 325i's and Alessandro MS2's. Which is it do they use a completely new driver or work with an existing Grado driver?

The site is a bit out of date. It used to be only for the SR-325 & MS2i and today if you want the complete Magnum Mod you still have to send the 325 or MS2i but they will get new drivers (and more parts) design by Rhydon. If you want to do the mod's yourself on your headphone being SRxxi model or Alessandro you can PM Rhydon here or his website link and ask for the parts you need (drivers, chamber, gimbal, etc...)

Nov 4, 2011 at 11:36 PM Post #149 of 4,994

Quote:
I'm not sure the Aluminum Chamber would fit in the RS-2 wood cup if I understand what you are planing to do. The chamber dimension are made for the SR-325, MS2 or any new SRxxi slip on cups. 

AH, yea looking at them I would have too figure some way to fit them into the formed wooden lip.

Nov 5, 2011 at 3:31 AM Post #150 of 4,994

Quote:
AH, yea looking at them I would have too figure some way to fit them into the formed wooden lip.

FYI, the outer diameter of the alu air chamber is 1.985" or 50.4 mm. I do not know the inner diameter of the RS2 cups, you would have to check that out.

Quote:
DigitalFreak said:

I know nothing about the Magnums but I do remember a head-fier once telling me the Magnums were a completely different driver. On Raydon's site I'm seeing the Magnum upgrade involves using drivers from the 325i's and Alessandro MS2's. Which is it do they use a completely new driver or work with an existing Grado driver?

If you send in your SR325's or MS2's,  the Magnum drivers and air chambers will be installed and you get your phones back together with the extracted Grado drivers. Symphones use their own drivers, drivers they have developed from V1 to now 4. If they have those drivers procuced by another company or if/how they do that themselves remains a mystery Rhydon seems to guard like gold. One thing is for sure, though: these drivers are brilliant.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back