Grado modders go Magnum
Nov 5, 2011 at 6:03 AM Post #151 of 4,994

Quote:
AH, yea looking at them I would have too figure some way to fit them into the formed wooden lip.

The drivers will fit in the lip, the aluminium enclosure will not. The Grado RS one-piece shell is made to perfectly fit a driver, the Magnum aluminium enclosure is made to replace one out of the two-parts (the inner driver enclosure) in headphones in the SR and PS series.

Nov 5, 2011 at 10:47 AM Post #152 of 4,994
The mail service just arrived - woo hoo.  Good stuff.  Seriously.  Now, I want you all to pay attention, because what you are looking at is not an optical illusion or a Photoshop job.  Yes, you are looking a 3 pair of drivers.  All of them are just the raw drivers, no aluminum air chambers.  Though, I'll have to admit one pair will be heading to Gabriel in Singapore this coming Monday:

Click on the images to view a larger size.

Also, to answer the question on how the Magnum drivers will fit into existing wooden cups, I have a picture for you.  The drivers are essentially the same spec / size as the Grado drivers that have been liberated from the plastic chambers.  In this picture, I have the drivers set into place with a small thickness of packing material to keep the driver from falling into the cup.  I suspect about 2 to 3 windings of electrical tape around the perimeter of the driver will make these beauties fit like a "glove" in the cups you have or are about to procure.

Please click on the image for a larger size.

Now, for the sad news.  My day is so stacked with things to do, I won't be able to get to these babies again until later this evening.  Yup, no time to solder them up for some burn it or anything like that.  I have my car emissions to work on, one of my spare commercial / industrial sewing machines to sell and 2 vintage receivers to buy: A Pioneer SX-3700 and a Sansui G5700.  Then, I'll be back later to play.

Nov 5, 2011 at 10:50 AM Post #153 of 4,994
One last quick post.  Here is my pair of Iroko cups from Cabillas.  This pair was completely stripped and refinished with a color that I thought was more capable of showing off the end grain of the wood - in that regard, I think I've achieved what I was set out to do.  These cups will house my first pair of Magnum drivers.

Click on the images to view larger sizes.

Nov 5, 2011 at 2:04 PM Post #154 of 4,994
Wje,

Off topic question:  you've mentioned using older receivers that can be gotten cheap.  Where can I find some info on what specific models to look for, or could I trouble you for recommendations?  The ones you just mentioned in your last post - are they good?  Feel free to PM me if you like, I dont want to sidetrack the thread but I'm really interested in learning more about this - if it's not too much trouble.

Cant wait for your impressions on those drivers also..!

Nov 5, 2011 at 2:25 PM Post #155 of 4,994
As for everything relating to headphones, there is a thread for that
http://www.head-fi.org/t/537704/calling-all-vintage-integrated-receiver-owners

Quote:
Wje,

Off topic question:  you've mentioned using older receivers that can be gotten cheap.  Where can I find some info on what specific models to look for, or could I trouble you for recommendations?  The ones you just mentioned in your last post - are they good?  Feel free to PM me if you like, I dont want to sidetrack the thread but I'm really interested in learning more about this - if it's not too much trouble.

Nov 5, 2011 at 2:31 PM Post #156 of 4,994
/jealous... Mine still haven't shipped!

Nov 5, 2011 at 3:00 PM Post #158 of 4,994

Quote:
/jealous... Mine still haven't shipped!

Really?  Do you think it will be early next week?  It took mine exactly a week - the notice was placed with Canada Post last Friday and I received them this morning (Saturday).  It's a good thing we have an extra hour this weekend (time change) because I'm going to need it.  Too much going on.

Back outside for a bit.  Fortunately, I have my list of things to work on so my focus is not on the drivers ... for now.  But, I do have about 5 Mountain Dews in the refrigerator if I need to pull an "all nighter".  
evil_smiley.gif

Nov 5, 2011 at 4:11 PM Post #159 of 4,994

Quote:
Really?  Do you think it will be early next week?  It took mine exactly a week - the notice was placed with Canada Post last Friday and I received them this morning (Saturday).  It's a good thing we have an extra hour this weekend (time change) because I'm going to need it.  Too much going on.

Back outside for a bit.  Fortunately, I have my list of things to work on so my focus is not on the drivers ... for now.  But, I do have about 5 Mountain Dews in the refrigerator if I need to pull an "all nighter".  
evil_smiley.gif

Happy for you that you received your preciousss!  As for burning Rhydon toll me to go easy on them. Not to loud.  Mine have about 45 hours of burning at moderate level. Also the solder pad with the red dot/paint is the positive side.

Nov 5, 2011 at 4:19 PM Post #160 of 4,994

Quote:
Happy for you that you received your preciousss!  As for burning Rhydon toll me to go easy on them. Not to loud.  Mine have about 45 hours of burning at moderate level. Also the solder pad with the red dot/paint is the positive side.

Mucho thanks for the information.  I'll go very easy on 'em.

Nov 5, 2011 at 5:25 PM Post #161 of 4,994
Why has Symphone not made their own headphone line? I mean lets be serious for a moment here Graod's design is not hard to follow Nor is is a copy write. It just seems silly that Symphone does a mod but does not produce their own headphones.

Nov 5, 2011 at 5:45 PM Post #162 of 4,994

Quote:
Why has Symphone not made their own headphone line? I mean lets be serious for a moment here Graod's design is not hard to follow Nor is is a copy write. It just seems silly that Symphone does a mod but does not produce their own headphones.

The design of the headphone would have to be quite a departure from the design Grado uses.  Plus, I'm pretty sure that Grado has plenty of copyrights on their designs for their headphones.  Additionally, keep in mind that when it comes to something like a car, the cost of the individual components are more than the whole vehicle.  With that example, Symphone will be more profitable (in most cases) by just selling parts like drivers, gimbals and modifications.  Additionally, Rhydon indicated that the v. 4 of the driver would be the last.  Apparently, he's looking at moving onto some "other" projects.  So, who knows what might be next to come out?  It could be anything.  He's probably like the late Steve Jobs - has a great idea, works it, perfects it, markets it, sells it ... then moves onto the next item. 

Nov 5, 2011 at 10:18 PM Post #163 of 4,994
Ah, I see. However I'm fairly sure more than one company has made headphones that use grado "signature look" Rudistor, I saw a superlux that looked oddly grado using google image search.

Nov 6, 2011 at 1:06 AM Post #164 of 4,994
I've been a bad boy.  
evil_smiley.gif

I finally had some "open" time this evening after purchasing a Sansui receiver, selling off 2 of my commercial sewing machines, and working on my car.  I chilled a bit with the Sansui receiver driving my Monitor Audio RS-6 speakers.  I kept going over to look at my subwoofers thinking that they had to be on, but they were not.  I had the bass and treble set to flat, but did use the "Loudness" contour which adds about 5dB at 100Hz and 10,000kHz.  Granted, this kind of throws off the flat response that lots of people desire.  However, to my ears I was hearing pure bliss.  Now, I just need to decide what to do with a Yamaha receiver, Parasound amp and 2 subwoofers.  Yes, my $100 Sansui S-5700 can top the sound that the previous mentioned gear can produce.  Fortunately, my mid-life crisis is just with retro receivers and not flashy new red Corvettes.

Now, onto the bad boy part.  I was able to get a pair of Magnums assembled into the Iroko cups with the Grado 4 conductor cable, gimbals and standard headband - for now.  I cheated.  I couldn't just put the headphones over in the corner and run through the "break-in" mode.  No, I really couldn't.  Instead, I put them on and have them on right now.  Four songs into one of listening collection and I'm totally in love with what I'm hearing.  Granted, some changes will happen as the drivers break in (this has been proven on many tests.)  However, I've got to say, the quality of music that I'm hearing is making me feel like I just dropped 5 Benjamins on this set of headphones.  Yes, the sound I'm hearing is that good.  I don't feel that there are really any peaks in the sound - it just has a great, neutral sound across the spectrum.  

I have so many people to thank.  Cabillas, Rhydon and the rest of the group here that introduced me to this habit.  Though, it's a good habit.  

I feel like I could listen for hours, but I can't.  I need rest.  Then, I need to wake up early and perform 2 hours of work "work" for our off-hours maintenance since it's a weekend.  Then, I'll be off to get the Pioneer SX-3700.  Then, my buying is done.  Yes, truly, it's done ... well, with the exception of finding another pair of wooden cups to complete the build on the 2nd set of Magnum drivers.  Trust me, then, I'll be chilling ... for about a week.  
biggrin.gif

Nov 6, 2011 at 1:13 AM Post #165 of 4,994

Quote:
Wje,

Quote:

Now, for the sad news.  My day is so stacked with things to do, I won't be able to get to these babies again until later this evening.  Yup, no time to solder them up for some burn it or anything like that.  I have my car emissions to work on, one of my spare commercial / industrial sewing machines to sell and 2 vintage receivers to buy: A Pioneer SX-3700 and a Sansui G5700.  Then, I'll be back later to play.

The SX-3700 God that brings back fond memories. I first bought that receiver back in 1989 from a friends dad for 75 bucks. I would still have it if it hadn't been stolen in 1994. My TV and my whole system speakers and all were taken. They even grabbed most of my records and all my CD's. I just about cried when I walked into my parents house and found the living room empty.

@wje
Nice find you're going to love that Pioneer receiver I sure did.

@meltdown100
Can't speak for the Sansui but I loved my Pioneer receiver. If you can find one grab it you won't regret it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back