Grado modders go Magnum
Aug 18, 2012 at 7:41 PM Post #1,771 of 4,994
Next time you guys have to finish cups, you really can't go wrong with some really nice home-mixed shellac. You can use whatever stain/oil/dye you like under this. Throw some lacquer on top if you need more durability. I love shellac because it's look is unreal and it's 100% natural and relatively food safe. Lacquer is just a great durable finish in general, but it's very hard and that makes it an excellent candidate for a polish with automotive compounds. The only thing I hate about lacquer is it smells HORRIBLE until it dries. This can take a couple days up to years depending on many factors...

Perhaps the best thing about this combo is how easy it is to do. No need to sand between coats as shellac and lacquer both dissolve the previous coat making for a single homogenous coat, unlike polyurethanes!

Aug 18, 2012 at 9:31 PM Post #1,772 of 4,994
Quote:
I used Minwax Red Oak 215 and 5 coats of clear Varathane.

I'd like to see a pic of yours if you have one.

can you walk me through the steps on how you did this lol? i kinda wanna make mine a different color 

Aug 19, 2012 at 12:12 AM Post #1,773 of 4,994
Quote:
I used Minwax Red Oak 215 and 5 coats of clear Varathane.

I'd like to see a pic of yours if you have one.

hope you guys aren't finishing the inside of those cups!

here are mine

900x900px-LL-e17c1113_UJ45Oh.jpeg

Aug 19, 2012 at 12:50 AM Post #1,774 of 4,994
Quote:
hope you guys aren't finishing the inside of those cups!

here are mine

Chris,

Good point regarding keeping the inside of the cups free from shellac, polyurethane, and other long-term wood protectors.  A small amount of oil designed for wood should suffice at keeping the wood from too much movement during humidity fluctuations.

Which headband are you using?  I like that look.  Melvins appears to have the same one.  Nice !

Aug 19, 2012 at 9:37 AM Post #1,776 of 4,994
Quote:
Thank you Wayne for the confirmation. 

I see the headband seems to have folding mechanism and wires to allow single side cable?

Simon,

Yes, you are correct - that headband does offer the folding capability, plus the option to use a single entry cable and have the other side fed by the wire through the headband.  The headband also ships with the outer cup covers as displayed.  Those are quickly removed and set aside, recycled, etc.

Sorry for the late response to that question.

Aug 19, 2012 at 1:39 PM Post #1,777 of 4,994
Quote:

Chris,

Good point regarding keeping the inside of the cups free from shellac, polyurethane, and other long-term wood protectors.  A small amount of oil designed for wood should suffice at keeping the wood from too much movement during humidity fluctuations.

Which headband are you using?  I like that look.  Melvins appears to have the same one.  Nice !

well.. I can't speak for the other MIDrange cups.. but, mine had a few layers of oil applied, then a final layer applied and then were wet sanded for the ideal interior finish. It sounds very good, I would recommend trying out this method to anyone. I also highly recommend limba and watching the length of your cups. 

Aug 19, 2012 at 3:38 PM Post #1,778 of 4,994
Quote:
well.. I can't speak for the other MIDrange cups.. but, mine had a few layers of oil applied, then a final layer applied and then were wet sanded for the ideal interior finish. It sounds very good, I would recommend trying out this method to anyone. I also highly recommend limba and watching the length of your cups. 

mine sound amazingly well as well lol 

Aug 19, 2012 at 6:15 PM Post #1,779 of 4,994
So I just cleaned out my desk and realized that I still have an extra pair of V4 drivers that I was meaning to get a housing and headband for when I had the money for it. I thought I was going to find out what type of wood I'd want by messing around with the pair I already have enough to see what type of sound I like, but I haven't really found anything I don't like yet... So I'm ready to just slap 'em in a pair of good all-round cups and call it a day, if anyone has any they'd want to sell. 

Aug 20, 2012 at 1:14 PM Post #1,780 of 4,994
Quote:
can you walk me through the steps on how you did this lol? i kinda wanna make mine a different color 

Ha! Ha! Ha!
 I’m really the last person you should ask as I’d never done this before and made a ton of mistakes. First thing you should do is read the directions on the can. I didn’t read the directions and ran into some problems.  On the outside of the MinWax stain can it said “stains and protects” I thought it was a one step process and as I couldn’t read the directions on the can as the writing was too small I applied a couple of coats and thought that would be the end of it.  Stained and protected! Was I wrong!

What color do you want to go with?

Aug 21, 2012 at 3:10 PM Post #1,782 of 4,994
I tried the stock SR60i ear-pads on my Magnums and the highs seemed to disappear although the L-Cush pads sounded great. How do the salad bowls sound? Are they worth the $59 price tag that they want for these things here in Montreal?

I'd like to try them but find the price outrageous.

Aug 21, 2012 at 3:23 PM Post #1,783 of 4,994
does anyone care to give me advice on how to change the color of my magnums? I would prefer a dark red 

Aug 21, 2012 at 6:16 PM Post #1,785 of 4,994
oh, awesome. that sounds perfect!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back