Grado modders go Magnum
Aug 21, 2012 at 6:49 PM Post #1,786 of 4,994
Do Grado's with Magnum drivers in them sound alot better with a amp? What are the Ohms of the drivers?

Aug 21, 2012 at 7:29 PM Post #1,788 of 4,994
Aug 21, 2012 at 8:43 PM Post #1,789 of 4,994
Quote:
do they sound alot better with an amp?

I haven't used them without. Others report that if your source has sufficient current, they sound fine. As with most low impedance cans, the more current the better (within reason, obviously). A buffer would certainly suffice, but no, you probably don't really need an amp or buffer.

Aug 21, 2012 at 8:46 PM Post #1,790 of 4,994
Quote:
I haven't used them without. Others report that if your source has sufficient current, they sound fine. As with most low impedance cans, the more current the better (within reason, obviously). A buffer would certainly suffice, but no, you probably don't really need an amp or buffer.

Ok thanks for the help!

Aug 22, 2012 at 11:16 PM Post #1,792 of 4,994
Quote:
I tried the stock SR60i ear-pads on my Magnums and the highs seemed to disappear although the L-Cush pads sounded great. How do the salad bowls sound? Are they worth the $59 price tag that they want for these things here in Montreal?

I'd like to try them but find the price outrageous.

try to get a used pair. I tried them at one point, I wouldn't suggest them with anything that hasn't been tuned to be used with salad bowls.

Quote:
Do Grado's with Magnum drivers in them sound alot better with a amp? What are the Ohms of the drivers?

depends on your setup.. They need a certain amount of power, but not a whole lot. Now, an amp could introduce clean power, and also just kinda serve as a reassurance. I use an o2 for those two reasons.. But, the magnums get plenty loud out of my sansa clip.

Aug 23, 2012 at 12:38 PM Post #1,793 of 4,994
Quote:
oh, awesome. that sounds perfect!

Nail polish won't bring out the natural beauty of the wood like a stain would. Just sand your cups to take off the old finish, put a coat of cherry stain on, wipe it off after ten minutes, wait 8 hours and put a thin coat of clear varathane on., if the wood soaks it up put another coat on.

Aug 23, 2012 at 1:14 PM Post #1,794 of 4,994
Woops, I was thinking he had the chipping paint on the drivers. Yeah, don't use nail polish on the wood.
tongue_smile.gif

Aug 23, 2012 at 6:41 PM Post #1,795 of 4,994
Quote:
Woops, I was thinking he had the chipping paint on the drivers. Yeah, don't use nail polish on the wood.
tongue_smile.gif

lol....damnit

Aug 23, 2012 at 7:19 PM Post #1,797 of 4,994
yeah. didn't do it yet.

Aug 24, 2012 at 12:39 PM Post #1,799 of 4,994
My magnums are in, using with Vibrolabs classic cups and 8 strand grado copper cable. Just got to tame in them for 2 weeks before then open up and reveal all goodness.

Got to sort out a nice hook for them now.....ah the discussions one must make.

Aug 24, 2012 at 12:40 PM Post #1,800 of 4,994
Quote:

Ok thanks for the help!

Oh yes you do :) if you want to squeeze the goodness out!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back