Grado Fan Club!
Sep 27, 2013 at 7:39 PM Post #9,511 of 65,584
OK-Jay-we're all waiting...especially those of us who haven't heard the RSIi.

My sense is they are really, really great....but not slam dunk, slap you in the face-the most beautiful woman you've ever seen-great. My sense is it's a lot more subtle than that.

But, do tell!

I've read so much about those damn HP's...it feels like the way I felt about the Lord of the Rings. I actually read LOTR before as the movies came out at the ripe old age of about 40...I said, fine, I'm going to read these books I've heard people rant about incessantly my whole life.....

And, I loved them!

Sep 27, 2013 at 8:15 PM Post #9,512 of 65,584
  OK-Jay-we're all waiting...especially those of us who haven't heard the RSIi.

My sense is they are really, really great....but not slam dunk, slap you in the face-the most beautiful woman you've ever seen-great. My sense is it's a lot more subtle than that.

But, do tell!

I've read so much about those damn HP's...it feels like the way I felt about the Lord of the Rings. I actually read LOTR before as the movies came out at the ripe old age of about 40...I said, fine, I'm going to read these books I've heard people rant about incessantly my whole life.....

And, I loved them!

of course it hasn't been very long, i've just had them for a couple of hours so i only have some first impressions
yeah, its not a slap in the face , mouth open, "holy cow" kinda thing, it is subtle for the most part
it is a grado, thats for sure, i guess the easiest thing i could say right now, is it sounds like a silky sr225i
bass is improved, the treble has detail, but not harsh, not sibilant , very smooth
instrument separation is really good
i do wonder how the tape mod would make it sound, i bet it would be good !
right now i'm listening to jane's addiction, "jane say's" never heard it sound better

Sep 27, 2013 at 8:29 PM Post #9,513 of 65,584
right now i'm listening to jane's addiction, "jane say's" never heard it sound better

Thanks Jay-comports with what I've heard.....OBTW, good taste...love Jane's Addiction....Nothing's Shocking-killer album. Enjoy!

Sep 27, 2013 at 9:03 PM Post #9,514 of 65,584
I'm offering a rare, vintage Grado rig in the For Sale Forums.
Thanks!
http://www.head-fi.org/t/683480/vintage-grado-rig-rare-black-sr325-joseph-grado-signature-hpa-2-amplifier

Sep 28, 2013 at 12:21 PM Post #9,516 of 65,584
Sep 29, 2013 at 12:42 PM Post #9,517 of 65,584
First post for me, got into some in-ear love with the Monster Miles Davis Tribunes.  Entered a contest a short while later at Grado and won a set of SR10's.  Gave them to my kid as a birthday present.  Thinking meh... hope he enjoys them.

Turns out I do too.  Found the PS500 for $400 on Amazon and hope they work well with my Schiit amp and DAC.  Might need to upgrade that too.  They should be here later this week.

So what's the deal with the pads?

Sep 29, 2013 at 2:26 PM Post #9,518 of 65,584
  First post for me, got into some in-ear love with the Monster Miles Davis Tribunes.  Entered a contest a short while later at Grado and won a set of SR10's.  Gave them to my kid as a birthday present.  Thinking meh... hope he enjoys them.

Turns out I do too.  Found the PS500 for $400 on Amazon and hope they work well with my Schiit amp and DAC.  Might need to upgrade that too.  They should be here later this week.

So what's the deal with the pads?

wow, the ps500 for $400 thats almost half price,
i have the ps500 too, i love mine ! what's your concern with the pads ?
the pads do have an effect on the sound, comfort too, i have both the L-cushes, and the g-cushes,
the g's are the most comfortable, and provide a larger soundstage , the L-cushes a more intimate staging, sound

Sep 29, 2013 at 3:37 PM Post #9,520 of 65,584
  I have been reading that the stock pads are pretty bad.  Also when it arrives to wash them to soften them.  Will I need to replace the pads with something else?

Which pad? S-cush, L-cush , or G-bowls?

Sep 29, 2013 at 3:38 PM Post #9,521 of 65,584
  I have been reading that the stock pads are pretty bad.  Also when it arrives to wash them to soften them.  Will I need to replace the pads with something else?

You will be fine. I would just use them "as is".
After you are used to them, if you find them uncomfortable or want to change the sound you can try other pads.

Sep 29, 2013 at 3:45 PM Post #9,522 of 65,584

i actually have no issues at all with the comfort of any of the pads, some do

Sep 29, 2013 at 4:01 PM Post #9,524 of 65,584
i second what parbaked said

as for schiit gear, mine sounds great , lyr amp, uberfrost dac

Sep 29, 2013 at 4:12 PM Post #9,525 of 65,584
  The stock pads, when they arrive, to wash them.  Also is the Schiit a good setup to use with these?  Also not sure which ones "pads" to replace them with.

Normally L-cush earpads are a good choice, gives a better soundstage with significantly increased clarity over the S-cush at the cost of comfort and bass impact. (and the cost of the replacement earpad)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back