Grado Fan Club!
Sep 27, 2013 at 12:38 AM Post #9,498 of 65,714
  I just ordered TTVJ flat pads last night to hear if I will like them with the RS1i's, I do believe these pads used to come stock on the RS!'s, so I figured I'd try them out.
BTW, I'm starting to enjoy the RS1i's more and more being that they have some more time on them. Last night was the first time I relaxed on the couch and just listened, and I must say you don't have to critically listen to them to hear everything, you can actually relax and hear everything without trying, which is very nice. I still think the price is a little steep. but from what I'm hearing as they burn-in the price of them burns away! I think I can say its a safe bet that they are staying home with me!

I owned two Rs1's at the same time a few months ago. One was the older Rs1 with buttons (no serial numbers, etc.) and the other was the newer style rs1i.

The TTVJ Flatts worked perfectly on the older Rs1's, but NOT on the newer Rs1i. The Rs1i with TTVJ Flats, was not very good, the bass was too boomy and more forward than the other frequencies.

The old rs1 with L- cush (bowls) was quickly fatiguing in the high frequencies, the TTVJ Flats smooth them out and made everything balanced again.

Sep 27, 2013 at 9:00 AM Post #9,500 of 65,714
Thanks for your info on the TTVJ flat pads guys. I've already ordered them so I'll just have to wait to hear them and know if I like them or not. If I find them to boomy on the RS1i I can always try them on my SR80i's to give them a bit more lower end.

Sep 27, 2013 at 9:35 AM Post #9,501 of 65,714
  Thanks for your info on the TTVJ flat pads guys. I've already ordered them so I'll just have to wait to hear them and know if I like them or not. If I find them to boomy on the RS1i I can always try them on my SR80i's to give them a bit more lower end.

Yes.  I think it will be good for you to proceed with your plan.  Combinations of various pads and Grados cen be very different for each individual from both a comfort standpoint, as well as a soung signature standpoint.

Also, if someone wants to get a pad that could get a signature close to what the TTVJ may offer, as well as having slightly more comfort to me, then the Sennheiser 414 pads with the reverse quarter mod is a great alternative.  The pads are about $4.97 at B&H Photo + a small shipping fee.  On Ebay, these pads sell for a crazy amount -- in the $15.00 range or so.  Plus, remember the pads can be dyed using RIT dye to get your color darker (Blue, Brown or Black).  While the black can't get real dark, it does turn out a bit lighter of a color, but will still be less of a standout on your Grados than the bright factory yellow for these pads.

Sep 27, 2013 at 1:23 PM Post #9,504 of 65,714

looks like a great solution but TTVJ has these listed at $35 .. seems a bit excessive

$35 plus shipping = $42 and worth every penny!
Flats came standard on the earliest 325 and RS1...

IMO these are the best pads and worth a try for those who want to get the most out of their SR & RS Grados.
The foam is different/denser than the Grado or Senn pads and the modified pads aren't the same...

Sep 27, 2013 at 4:41 PM Post #9,505 of 65,714

looks like a great solution but TTVJ has these listed at $35 .. seems a bit excessive

While it does seem a bit high, it is still much less than the replacement velour ear pads for the Sennheiser HD-600 / 650 headphones.  Those pad replacements run about $58.00 before shipping.  But, you have to take into consideration, the TTVJ flats are made to the same specifications as the originals and are apparently made by the same company that made the pads for Grado.

Sep 27, 2013 at 5:38 PM Post #9,506 of 65,714
the rs1i's have arrived !

Sep 27, 2013 at 5:47 PM Post #9,507 of 65,714

While it does seem a bit high, it is still much less than the replacement velour ear pads for the Sennheiser HD-600 / 650 headphones.  Those pad replacements run about $58.00 before shipping.  But, you have to take into consideration, the TTVJ flats are made to the same specifications as the originals and are apparently made by the same company that made the pads for Grado.

Thanks for the info on the making of the pads, glad to know the same company still makes them.
I'm going to try them on all of the Grado models.

Nice!!!
Cant wait to hear what you have to say about them, congratulations!!!

Sep 27, 2013 at 6:00 PM Post #9,509 of 65,714

Ok.  I'm a little jealous 
frown.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back