Grado Fan Club!
Sep 24, 2013 at 11:25 PM Post #9,481 of 65,714

I know you own the 80's but didn't realize you owned the RS1's, since putting the (L) cushions on your 80's whats your opinion on how they measure up to the RS1's? Also do you have wooden cups on your 80's?

I never ''owned'' the RS1. This was in 2006, I was looking to buy a quality extension cord for my HD600, and I heard that Grado made one, so I went to this autorized Grado and Sennheiser dealer who had it in stock.

Once in the store, I asked if I could listen to the RS1, and since they also had the HD600, I figured why not compare the two. It was then that my jaw dropped when I saw how much detail I was missing with my HD600.

Funny story, sort of, this is the same dealer were I had gone to a few years later to buy a cartridge and a felt mat for my Technics SL1200 MK2, and ended up brigning back a pair of mint HP1000 that they were selling for a good client of theirs,  for $350,  I was so exited, that I forgot about the mat, and left.

The whole HP1000 story goes like this. At the time, I didn't know how rare and well regarded the HP1000 were, it's only after doing a little research, later the day that i bought my cartridge, that I found out how much they were selling for. I'll never forget the look on that poor salesmen face when I informed him that he could've bought them straight from his client and turn a big profit. The story doesn't say if he informed the client (an elderly gentlemen) of the actual value of his headphones, I hope he didn't, poor man, it's enough to give him a heart attack.

Sep 25, 2013 at 12:15 AM Post #9,482 of 65,714
My mistake, I see, you compared the two at the dealer and realized the detail that the RS1 had over the HD600 and then sometime after you just went straight to the higher end Grado and skipped right over the RS1 
Funny story about the HP1000, and what fortunate timing being you were there for the cartridge and the felt, timing is everything!

Sep 25, 2013 at 11:56 AM Post #9,483 of 65,714
well, finally got in touch with hound dog amps aka alessandro regarding my ms2, and repairs to the driver grill/cloth
he has the same flat rate grado does, $100 gets you a complete rebuild, cable, drivers etc.
i did find out the ones have have are not the most current version, but his advice, was as long as there are no
other real issues, and the fix(the dryer sheets) i did seems to be working was keep them another year or so, then go for a rebuild then.

Sep 25, 2013 at 6:03 PM Post #9,484 of 65,714

No worries. All I can say of all the headphones / amps I've owned, the synergy between the RS1 and MAD Ear+HD or the T1 and WA2 were definitely two to remember!

I am currently saving my cash......I will have a MAD EAR + HD.......hopefully I will be able to find a 2nd hand one, even though it is tough to find.

Sep 25, 2013 at 8:54 PM Post #9,485 of 65,714

I am currently saving my cash......I will have a MAD EAR + HD.......hopefully I will be able to find a 2nd hand one, even though it is tough to find.

Good luck...they don't come up very frequently.

Sep 26, 2013 at 4:12 PM Post #9,486 of 65,714
hi, i have a pair of hf2 (bought on this forum) that i use with an ampli little dotI+ with 66cq6 tubes and a hifimediy dac. I find the bowls uncomfortable and with a bad sound, i've tried also the 414 sehnneiser(that i used with sr80)  and find these better then bowls but i should buy a pair of flat pads for best performance? i know the flat are the best choice for sr60/80 and some other models but it is the same for hf2?  Considering also the price of about 62$  for my country, they are really better than yallow sennheiser?

Sep 26, 2013 at 7:13 PM Post #9,487 of 65,714
I just ordered TTVJ flat pads last night to hear if I will like them with the RS1i's, I do believe these pads used to come stock on the RS!'s, so I figured I'd try them out.
BTW, I'm starting to enjoy the RS1i's more and more being that they have some more time on them. Last night was the first time I relaxed on the couch and just listened, and I must say you don't have to critically listen to them to hear everything, you can actually relax and hear everything without trying, which is very nice. I still think the price is a little steep. but from what I'm hearing as they burn-in the price of them burns away! I think I can say its a safe bet that they are staying home with me!

Sep 26, 2013 at 7:40 PM Post #9,488 of 65,714
I kind of figured that the more you listened to them....the more you would fall in love  :)

Sep 26, 2013 at 8:11 PM Post #9,490 of 65,714

As I was repling to the Grado RS1i Appreciation Thread, you were replying to this thread, take a look at my last post over there, you took the word right out of my mouth!!!

LOL....that is pretty funny.

Sep 26, 2013 at 8:20 PM Post #9,491 of 65,714
 I think I can say its a safe bet that they are staying home with me!

i kinda had a feeling they'd stay !

Sep 26, 2013 at 8:40 PM Post #9,493 of 65,714
They should , they left Louisville today around 5p

Sep 26, 2013 at 8:56 PM Post #9,494 of 65,714
  I just ordered TTVJ flat pads last night to hear if I will like them with the RS1i's, I do believe these pads used to come stock on the RS!'s, so I figured I'd try them out.
BTW, I'm starting to enjoy the RS1i's more and more being that they have some more time on them. Last night was the first time I relaxed on the couch and just listened, and I must say you don't have to critically listen to them to hear everything, you can actually relax and hear everything without trying, which is very nice. I still think the price is a little steep. but from what I'm hearing as they burn-in the price of them burns away! I think I can say its a safe bet that they are staying home with me!

Are the TTVJ pads the same as the flat pads that come standard on the SR125i phones or are they different in some way?

Sep 26, 2013 at 9:46 PM Post #9,495 of 65,714
  Are the TTVJ pads the same as the flat pads that come standard on the SR125i phones or are they different in some way?

No, (S) cushions come stock on the 125's, they have a slight concave shape to them and cover the drivers. I've never actually seen the TTVJ flats in person, but from photos they look totally flat with slits around them and a hole in the centers for the drivers. It actually looks like to me they put the drivers closest to the ears than any other pad I have seen/had. And like I said I think the original RS1's came stock with these pads so I can't wait to hear what they sound like.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back