Grado Fan Club!
Sep 23, 2013 at 8:30 PM Post #9,451 of 65,799
  Just listed my HD800 for sale, the PS500 prevailed.  It's not technically on the same level of the HD800 but I enjoy listening to music more with the PS500 and that's what matters in the end.

Having many years experience in home audio really helped me when I decided to take the plunge into head-fi. One of the lessons I learned when I took a chance on some entry level Magnepan MMGs was that it's fully possible to get as much or more enjoyment out of a less expensive speaker than it is a higher end, or more highly regarded, one. It just so happens that the same thing happened to me that has just now happened to you - I fell in love with a headphone that would not be considered by most to be the "best" choice. The ONLY thing that matters to me is how much enjoyment I get out of something, and for whatever reason the 500s just do it for me. Of course, I also give myself permission to have a headphone harem, of sorts, and one of the great things about head-fi is that it's much more feasible to have several pairs of phones to enjoy, whereas I'm not likely to start buying multiple pairs of speakers to go swapping in and out. But if I HAD to make a choice, just as I typically do with speakers, I would feel no pressure whatsoever to go with anything other than the choice that provided me the most enjoyment. So kudos :)  

Sep 23, 2013 at 9:01 PM Post #9,452 of 65,799
I think it's safe to say that the RS1i and the PS500 are the two Grados that get the most love in their whole lineup, and understandably so, i might add.

Sep 23, 2013 at 9:55 PM Post #9,453 of 65,799
  I think it's safe to say that the RS1i and the PS500 are the two Grados that get the most love in their whole lineup, and understandably so, i might add.

and barring any problems, by the end of the week, i'll have the good fortune to have both , the rs1i is due thursday

Sep 23, 2013 at 9:57 PM Post #9,454 of 65,799
  and barring any problems, by the end of the week, i'll have the good fortune to have both , the rs1i is due thursday

Congrats Jay! The two best John Grado headphones I've heard! Please let us know what you think.

Next up I suppose the MAD EAR+HD to drive them? 
evil_smiley.gif

Sep 23, 2013 at 10:08 PM Post #9,455 of 65,799

Congrats Jay! The two best John Grado headphones I've heard! Please let us know what you think.

Next up I suppose the MAD EAR+HD to drive them? 
evil_smiley.gif

i may need to slow down a bit, especially since the holidays are fast approaching , maybe after the first of the year !
i must say, if its better than the lyr, with the mullards and bugle boys , it must be very nice indeed ! (i was snooping around the MAD website the other day) i may be doomed

Sep 23, 2013 at 10:11 PM Post #9,456 of 65,799
  i may need to slow down a bit, especially since the holidays are fast approaching , maybe after the first of the year !
i must say, if its better than the lyr, with the mullards and bugle boys , it must be very nice indeed ! (i was snooping around the MAD website the other day) i may be doomed

No rush...I was just joking.  
size]
  While I owned the Lyr, I was Grado-less at the time, so I can't comment on that pairing.

But seriously, the MAD Ear+HD is the best Grado amp I've heard (including the Melos). Dr. Lloyd is a class act to deal with as well.

Please let us know what you think about your RS1i's when they arrive.

Sep 23, 2013 at 11:33 PM Post #9,457 of 65,799

I was just snooping around the Maple tree website tonight myself!
I was looking at the Mad Ear +ll, because it seems you can pair it with a remote volume control!

Sep 24, 2013 at 1:14 AM Post #9,458 of 65,799
man, I sold my Rs1's and kept the Rs2's because I needed some extra $$$. I've always enjoyed the Rs2 very much, but now that I don't have the Rs1's I sure do miss the hell outta them! I found the Rs1 paired extremely well with my CEntrance Hifi-M8, but I now realize that the Rs2 did not scale up as great as the Rs1 did with that pairing.
frown.gif

from my experience the Rs1 really does scale up well with a powerful amp, the rs2 doesn't...

Sep 24, 2013 at 1:44 AM Post #9,459 of 65,799
Lurking in this thread makes me want to get a pair of RS1's more and more.

EDIT:somehow my message didn't show up, but when editing, it does. weird...

since writing it, i got an e-mail, with an offer for a PS1000 i think i can't refuse.

what other grado does the PS1000 sound most alike?

--CH23

Sep 24, 2013 at 6:27 AM Post #9,460 of 65,799
Lurking in this thread makes me want to get a pair of RS1's more and more.

EDIT:somehow my message didn't show up, but when editing, it does. weird...

since writing it, i got an e-mail, with an offer for a PS1000 i think i can't refuse.

what other grado does the PS1000 sound most alike?

--CH23

I don't know from experience, but I've seen it mentioned a few times as the 325.

Sep 24, 2013 at 6:37 AM Post #9,461 of 65,799

Since we're all Grado-philes on this thread, I think you're right.

But I also think that the SR-60i is vastly under-rated.  And as far as I know, it is still the #1 selling Grado that they have.  Lots of love out there

Sep 24, 2013 at 7:16 AM Post #9,463 of 65,799
Sep 24, 2013 at 7:42 AM Post #9,465 of 65,799
Mine too. :)

I had a lower-end Senn (forget which) which the cat chewed the cable through when we first got her as a kitten, and my friend had a pair of SR60s he wanted to sell, so I bought them.  I liked the Senns ok, but I loved the Grados from the first moment. 

My first headphone I bought period was a sennheiser, the hd203, it too sounded OK, but something made me want to try for something better, and reading about the sr60 and 80 for so many years, I got a pair of 60i's and it was on from there!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back