Grado Fan Club!
Sep 19, 2013 at 5:26 PM Post #9,421 of 66,264
  if, and if the rs1i isn't to my liking, the ms-pro would be next in line, i love my ms2

I think there might be some low-cost suggestions that can be provided for you if you feel the RS1i needs a bit of taming.  I've been through a half-dozen scenarios and approaches.  With each one, I was able to control the output to a degree and provide a sound flavor that pleased me.

I'd love to list out the scenarios and observations, but too busy for the next few days.

Sep 19, 2013 at 6:32 PM Post #9,422 of 66,264

I think there might be some low-cost suggestions that can be provided for you if you feel the RS1i needs a bit of taming.  I've been through a half-dozen scenarios and approaches.  With each one, I was able to control the output to a degree and provide a sound flavor that pleased me.

I'd love to list out the scenarios and observations, but too busy for the next few days.

no problem, it'll be a while before the rs1i will arrive, i'd be interested though.
the pair i'm getting is used, so them burning in shouldn't be a problem, from hearing people talk about them, i'm not expecting a problem
but you never know until you hear them.
and if all goes good with the rs1i, and i haven't sold the ms2's, i might try my hand at modding them, if anybody knows of something i could do with them, change the drivers to turbulent drivers ??

Sep 19, 2013 at 9:10 PM Post #9,423 of 66,264
  no problem, it'll be a while before the rs1i will arrive, i'd be interested though.
the pair i'm getting is used, so them burning in shouldn't be a problem, from hearing people talk about them, i'm not expecting a problem
but you never know until you hear them.
and if all goes good with the rs1i, and i haven't sold the ms2's, i might try my hand at modding them, if anybody knows of something i could do with them, change the drivers to turbulent drivers ??

I think if you consider going the route of the Turbulent Labs "x" driver, you have to realize that the cost would be $135.00 and about a 2-week wait to arrive.  In then end, you'll still have an aluminum MS-2 cup, but with somewhat better drivers installed.  I think before I would seek towards the Magnum driver upgrade option, I'd look into some mahogany cup liners to tame the frequencies a bit and see if the bass can slightly improve and benefit from the mahogany.  That would be my first consideration.

The pair of RS1i Grados that I have were also well-broken in, so from day 1, I could hear and acclimate myself to the specific sound of the headphone without any questions or hopes that the sound might change a bit over time and with use.  It made the process much better for transitioning over to them.

Sep 19, 2013 at 10:17 PM Post #9,424 of 66,264

I think if you consider going the route of the Turbulent Labs "x" driver, you have to realize that the cost would be $135.00 and about a 2-week wait to arrive.  In then end, you'll still have an aluminum MS-2 cup, but with somewhat better drivers installed.  I think before I would seek towards the Magnum driver upgrade option, I'd look into some mahogany cup liners to tame the frequencies a bit and see if the bass can slightly improve and benefit from the mahogany.  That would be my first consideration.

i've spent some time tonight with the ms2, and while its not perfect, it does have great balance, and i wouldn't want to do much to upset that.
the wood liner idea sounds intriguing , well, i'm in no rush, and i'll probably wait till the rs1i gets here and see what i think of it before i make any real plans

Sep 20, 2013 at 2:09 AM Post #9,425 of 66,264
I see we have yet another 'Why would anybody in their right mind listen to a Grado headphone!?' thread again. You know, you don't see threads like that about any other manufacturer except Grado. Kind of strange. Should start one about HiFiMan or Audese and see how that flys..probably get banned in about 10 mins.

Sep 20, 2013 at 2:26 AM Post #9,426 of 66,264
Grado fans aren't soft :wink: Always love the uproar of defense when someone mentions the awful treble on the HE400's 
biggrin.gif

Sep 20, 2013 at 2:49 AM Post #9,427 of 66,264
  I see we have yet another 'Why would anybody in their right mind listen to a Grado headphone!?' thread again. You know, you don't see threads like that about any other manufacturer except Grado. Kind of strange. Should start one about HiFiMan or Audese and see how that flys..probably get banned in about 10 mins.

That's a necro thread I think... someone brought it back to life the other day.  Still there were at least two people in there who seemed insulted by the fact that some people like Grados.  
rolleyes.gif

Sep 20, 2013 at 8:00 AM Post #9,428 of 66,264

I think it's just a case of too much free time on one's hands, so some member starts such a thread.  I've come and gone with many headphone brands and many models.  Sure, there are those that I think are the best thing since sliced bread at times, but when you use them enough, you can spot the weaknesses.  Plus, our own tastes and preferences are purely subjective.

Meanwhile, I'll just keep on enjoying the music.

Sep 20, 2013 at 1:33 PM Post #9,430 of 66,264
  if, and if the rs1i isn't to my liking, the ms-pro would be next in line, i love my ms2

They're not the eaisest thing to find, but you really owe it to yourself to obtain a pair of HF2s.

Mine sound so different from any other Grado I've tried... I just love them. That being said, I have not tasted the rarified air of the HP1/HP2/PS1. 

NK

Sep 20, 2013 at 2:24 PM Post #9,431 of 66,264

They're not the eaisest thing to find, but you really owe it to yourself to obtain a pair of HF2s.

Mine sound so different from any other Grado I've tried... I just love them. That being said, I have not tasted the rarified air of the HP1/HP2/PS1. 

NK

i had wondered about those, i'd seen one somewhere

Sep 20, 2013 at 7:52 PM Post #9,433 of 66,264
My HP2 sound great, but i still preffer my PS1000.

Sep 21, 2013 at 4:28 PM Post #9,435 of 66,264
Yes, especially when you consider that I just paid $350 for my HP1000, obviously, the seller didn't know how much they were worth.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back