Grado Fan Club!
Sep 24, 2013 at 7:55 AM Post #9,466 of 65,679
My first headphone I bought period was a sennheiser, the hd203, it too sounded OK, but something made me want to try for something better, and reading about the sr60 and 80 for so many years, I got a pair of 60i's and it was on from there!

Jay, I can't wait for those RS1is to arrive at your house.  Really looking forward to hearing your reaction. :)

Sep 24, 2013 at 8:21 AM Post #9,467 of 65,679

Wow, that's quite an endorsement.

I just found myself constantly reaching for my RS1i's. The LCD's had the best sub-bass though.
smile_phones.gif

I also did that with my MS-Pros.

Wish I never swapped my MS-Pro's.
triportsad.gif

Sep 24, 2013 at 10:15 AM Post #9,468 of 65,679
  it was my first !!

My SR80i's with the Vibro classic wooden cups and (L) cushions just blow me away every time  I listen to them. They have given me the first and only WOW! experience (even stock) even after purchasing the MS2i, 325is and now owning the RS1i. I've never been so impressed, especially for the price. But this can also be because it was my first Grado experience, I'm pretty sure if any of the other models I own/owned were purchased before the 80i's, I would have felt the same way (I think).
I can absolutely say they are an exeptional headphone to ME, even after climbing the Grado ladder. I know 100% I would never part with my 80i's, and if they failed, I would go out and buy another pair immediately!!!  

Sep 24, 2013 at 11:17 AM Post #9,469 of 65,679
Joseph, how would you say the rs1i and ms2i compare, ?

Sep 24, 2013 at 4:12 PM Post #9,470 of 65,679
I am currently searching for a 2nd hand MAD EAR + HD to pair with my RS1i......if anybody has one they are remotely thinking of getting rid of....please pm me.

Sep 24, 2013 at 4:55 PM Post #9,471 of 65,679
Joseph, how would you say the rs1i and ms2i compare, 

I owned the MS2i and by all means it is a great sounding headphone but it just wasn't my taste. To me the MS2i and the (325is which I currently own) sound nothing like the RS1i. I also didn't think the MS2's sounded anything like the 325's. The MS2i's had a mi-bass that to me drowned out everything else, so to me there is no comparison between the MS2i and the RS1i, (they are just two different headphones IMO).  
 The SR80i IMO comes pretty close to sounding like the RS1i, but don't forget I still have to spend more time with the RS1i, I only got it last Thursday. So far compared to the 80i the RS1i has a little more bass, a slightly bigger soundstage and depth, and I hear a bit more subtle detail, but the higher frequencies to me so far can be a little fatiguing, and as of now they don't seem as crystal clear as my 80's.
Compared to the SR325is's it sounds to me like the 325's have a tighter bass and a much stronger, smoother, more powerful mid-range with vocals guitars and brass at higher volumes without being fatigued, ( slightly darker, more controlled) but the sound stage seems much narrower with the 325's at times as compared the the 80's and the RS1i's. Don't forget the 80's and the 325's have plenty of hours on them both, so these are just my initial impressions with the RS1i's so far.
Also last night I listened to the RS1i's out of my home system, Adcom-GFP-710 and Meridian-203dac and Sony CDP-C801ES and they sounded the best with these sources so far as compared to the MBP with the LD1+/Modi and the Magni/Modi. Both the 80 and the RS1i sound great out of my home system, yet the 325is's don't sound nearly as good out of my home system, but they sound great with the MBP, LD1+/Modi and the Magni/Modi... Go figure.
I can't wait for you to get your RS1's, so I can hear your impressions on them.
BTW, my 80's sound great out of all of my equipment, and I'm not saying the RS1i's had a problem with any of my equipment, they sounded best so far to me out of my home system, (much more controlled) especially with the higher frequencies.

Sep 24, 2013 at 5:25 PM Post #9,472 of 65,679
  I owned the MS2i and by all means it is a great sounding headphone but it just wasn't my taste. To me the MS2i and the (325is which I currently own) sound nothing like the RS1i. I also didn't think the MS2's sounded anything like the 325's. The MS2i's had a mi-bass that to me drowned out everything else, so to me there is no comparison between the MS2i and the RS1i, (they are just two different headphones IMO).  
 The SR80i IMO comes pretty close to sounding like the RS1i, but don't forget I still have to spend more time with the RS1i, I only got it last Thursday. So far compared to the 80i the RS1i has a little more bass, a slightly bigger soundstage and depth, and I hear a bit more subtle detail, but the higher frequencies to me so far can be a little fatiguing, and as of now they don't seem as crystal clear as my 80's.
Compared to the SR325is's it sounds to me like the 325's have a tighter bass and a much stronger, smoother, more powerful mid-range with vocals guitars and brass at higher volumes without being fatigued, ( slightly darker, more controlled) but the sound stage seems much narrower with the 325's at times as compared the the 80's and the RS1i's. Don't forget the 80's and the 325's have plenty of hours on them both, so these are just my initial impressions with the RS1i's so far.
Also last night I listened to the RS1i's out of my home system, Adcom-GFP-710 and Meridian-203dac and Sony CDP-C801ES and they sounded the best with these sources so far as compared to the MBP with the LD1+/Modi and the Magni/Modi. Both the 80 and the RS1i sound great out of my home system, yet the 325is's don't sound nearly as good out of my home system, but they sound great with the MBP, LD1+/Modi and the Magni/Modi... Go figure.
I can't wait for you to get your RS1's, so I can hear your impressions on them.
BTW, my 80's sound great out of all of my equipment, and I'm not saying the RS1i's had a problem with any of my equipment, they sounded best so far to me out of my home system, (much more controlled) especially with the higher frequencies.

i remember you and i having pretty different takes on the ms2i, not that you thought it was bad or anything, just confirmed how we all hear things differently. the way you describe the 80, is kinda how i feel about the ms2, to me, it sounds good with everything, where the 500 is more dependent on associated gear, and music, but the 500 is way more capable when fed properly
also,based on  your description of the 80 and 325, i'll be sure to stop by hi fi buys and give them a listen when i finally get to nashville !

Sep 24, 2013 at 7:01 PM Post #9,473 of 65,679

i remember you and i having pretty different takes on the ms2i, not that you thought it was bad or anything, just confirmed how we all hear things differently. the way you describe the 80, is kinda how i feel about the ms2, to me, it sounds good with everything, where the 500 is more dependent on associated gear, and music, but the 500 is way more capable when fed properly
also,based on  your description of the 80 and 325, i'll be sure to stop by hi fi buys and give them a listen when i finally get to nashville !

Most say the 325 is to shrill for them, but I do not feel that way at all, in-fact from day one I didn't even think this, but they do have a different sound from all the Grado's that I've heard/owned including the MS2i.
And yes I do believe the MS2i is an excellent headphone, very powerful and strong in the mid-range as far as I remember. They reminded me of a full-range box speaker on my head, and I don't mean this in a bad way at all.

Sep 24, 2013 at 7:09 PM Post #9,474 of 65,679
My first encounter with Grados was with the RS1, I owned Senns HD600 at the time, and I remember thinking to myself , Oh crap!, I bought the wrong headphones, a few weeks later, I sold the HD600 and bought my GS1000, that was it, I was hooked.

Sep 24, 2013 at 7:44 PM Post #9,475 of 65,679
  My first encounter with Grados was with the RS1, I owned Senns HD600 at the time, and I remember thinking to myself , Oh crap!, I bought the wrong headphones, a few weeks later, I sold the HD600 and bought my GS1000, that was it, I was hooked.

lol, i've had that Oh crap! before
the hd600 was really going to be the next headphone i bought after the ps500  but the hifiman he-4 came next, and it was kinda hard for me to figure it out, one track, great, the next not so.
all during this time, looking for a hd600, getting the he-4, i kept hearing all this talk about the rs1i, and then i just decided to go for it before i listen to anything else !

Sep 24, 2013 at 8:20 PM Post #9,476 of 65,679

I know you own the 80's but didn't realize you owned the RS1's, since putting the (L) cushions on your 80's whats your opinion on how they measure up to the RS1's? Also do you have wooden cups on your 80's?

Sep 24, 2013 at 9:17 PM Post #9,477 of 65,679

I was just snooping around the Maple tree website tonight myself!
I was looking at the Mad Ear +ll, because it seems you can pair it with a remote volume control!

The Super II is the better all around amp, but for Grado's the Ear+HD is the better amp IMO/IME. 

Sep 24, 2013 at 9:32 PM Post #9,478 of 65,679
  man, I sold my Rs1's and kept the Rs2's because I needed some extra $$$. I've always enjoyed the Rs2 very much, but now that I don't have the Rs1's I sure do miss the hell outta them! I found the Rs1 paired extremely well with my CEntrance Hifi-M8, but I now realize that the Rs2 did not scale up as great as the Rs1 did with that pairing.
frown.gif

from my experience the Rs1 really does scale up well with a powerful amp, the rs2 doesn't...

well then i should be in fine shape with the lyr !

Sep 24, 2013 at 9:51 PM Post #9,479 of 65,679
MacedonianHero (Fly By Night)
"The Super II is the better all around amp, but for Grado's the Ear+HD is the better amp IMO/IME." 

Thanks for the heads up but I was just looking because I just started reading the RS1 appreciation thread being that I very recently purchased them and read how people really liked the Mad ear +hd so I was just checking them out, thanks though.

Sep 24, 2013 at 9:53 PM Post #9,480 of 65,679
  The Super II is the better all around amp, but for Grado's the Ear+HD is the better amp IMO/IME. 

Thanks for the heads up but I was just looking because I just started reading the RS1 appreciation thread being that I very recently purchased them and read how people really liked the Mad ear +hd so I was just checking them out, thanks though.

No worries. All I can say of all the headphones / amps I've owned, the synergy between the RS1 and MAD Ear+HD or the T1 and WA2 were definitely two to remember!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back