Grado Fan Club!
Aug 25, 2013 at 7:33 PM Post #8,911 of 65,796
i bought the rs2i 4 month ago
ive had the sr60 for 8 years
the bass (quality) is amazing on the rs2i but i wanted some more (quantity)
and the sound in the highs was a little too thin or airy 
and im always a-b-ing and retrying the different pads
but lately ive being really impress with the sound i can get out of using the g-cush in reverse
anyone else using the g-cush in reverse ?

Aug 25, 2013 at 7:46 PM Post #8,912 of 65,796
ok, my stuff that i was selling has sold ,(except the msii+) and i'm wanting to upgrade from the msii+, $300-$500 budget,
my list of possible's :  bifrost , micromega mydac, peachtree dac it,
what are y'all using thats a step up from the "dragonfly neighborhood"

oh, and has anyone heard the halide ??

I'm very happy with the Bifrost. Transparent, organic texture & timbre, and great dynamic swings with Uber Analog upgrade. If I was shopping now, I'd definitely add Concero and Ciunas (just a bit over your suggested budget) to your list of considerations. Never heard a bad word about the Halide HD and it's probably the bargain of the bunch since it includes high quality captive cables on each end.

This is a great time to buy a $500ish dac. There are lots of reviews of all these that give a good idea of the sonic personality of each.

Aug 25, 2013 at 8:36 PM Post #8,913 of 65,796
Quote:
I'm very happy with the Bifrost. Transparent, organic texture & timbre, and great dynamic swings with Uber Analog upgrade. If I was shopping now, I'd definitely add Concero and Ciunas (just a bit over your suggested budget) to your list of considerations. Never heard a bad word about the Halide HD and it's probably the bargain of the bunch since it includes high quality captive cables on each end.

This is a great time to buy a $500ish dac. There are lots of reviews of all these that give a good idea of the sonic personality of each.

the concero does look very interesting, but i'm really going to try to stay under 5 bills !
the four words you used to descibe the bifrost are some of main qualities i'm looking for
and bifrost turn up on the sale thread pretty often, there's  couple there now
i guess the thing to do is just buy where they have a good return policy,
or just wait for a really good deal in used stuff, i'm always checking here,
audiogon, ebay etc

yeah, there are A LOT of choices out there in the $500 and under price point

Aug 25, 2013 at 9:05 PM Post #8,914 of 65,796
Quote:
ok, my stuff that i was selling has sold ,(except the msii+) and i'm wanting to upgrade from the msii+, $300-$500 budget,

Hey Jay, I haven't heard any of them, but think the Dac-It looks interesting. There was a thread somewhere-you could find it on a search like-Dac It Vs Bifrost- and the conclusion of the review was the DAC-It was an improvement over the Bifrost. But, I believe that was before the uber upgrade thingie.

I was debating the two myself, but I'm going a different direction. I'm not listening to computer music. I've spent the better part of the Spring and summer ripping my entire collection-about 8,000 songs-not massive-but still a big job for me-into Lossless and stored on a NAS. I bought a Sonos Connect streamer to stream through a speaker system adjacent to my PC.

Sonos has an OK DAC...definitely better than a stock PC DAC, but could be better. I primarily listen through my Asgard-2 plugged into Sonos or into my stereo when listening to CDs. My Sonos is connected to my stereo.

After putting  a lot of thought, I'm going to buy a Rotel integrated amp with a nice Wolfson DAC with both analog and digital capabilities. I have my speaker set up in a spare bedroom/computer room...computer  stereo all in the same space.

In my case, my hope is to upgrade my entry level receiver with a better integrated amp that will bypass the DAC in my CD player or Sonos to the Rotel. I could have bought an integrated amp and something like the DAC-It externally. Peach Tree makes a comparable unit called the Deco I believe-integrated amp you can use with a PC if you choose or with analog sources or both.

But, I know most of you are probably using your gear for a PC set up. I'm sure the uber Bifrost or DAC It would both be nice pieces in your kit.

Aug 25, 2013 at 9:09 PM Post #8,915 of 65,796
Quote:
Hey Jay, I haven't heard any of them, but think the Dac-It looks interesting. There was a thread somewhere-you could find it on a search like-Dac It Vs Bifrost- and the conclusion of the review was the DAC-It was an improvement over the Bifrost. But, I believe that was before the uber upgrade thingie.

I was debating the two myself, but I'm going a different direction. I'm not listening to computer music. I've spent the better part of the Spring and summer ripping my entire collection-about 8,000 songs-not massive-but still a big job for me-into Lossless and stored on a NAS. I bought a Sonos Connect streamer to stream through a speaker system adjacent to my PC.

Sonos has an OK DAC...definitely better than a stock PC DAC, but could be better. I primarily listen through my Asgard-2 plugged into Sonos or into my stereo when listening to CDs. My Sonos is connected to my stereo.

After putting  a lot of thought, I'm going to buy a Rotel integrated amp with a nice Wolfson DAC with both analog and digital capabilities. I have my speaker set up in a spare bedroom/computer room...computer  stereo all in the same space.

In my case, my hope is to upgrade my entry level receiver with a better integrated amp that will bypass the DAC in my CD player or Sonos to the Rotel. I could have bought an integrated amp and something like the DAC-It externally. Peach Tree makes a comparable unit called the Deco I believe-integrated amp you can use with a PC if you choose or with analog sources or both.

But, I know most of you are probably using your gear for a PC set up. I'm sure the uber Bifrost or DAC It would both be nice pieces in your kit.

the deco is hybrid too, you got a tube in there !
as for the dac it, i read somewhere that as compared to the base bifrost that the author preferred the dac it

Aug 25, 2013 at 9:35 PM Post #8,916 of 65,796
Quote:

I myself am going the Oppo BDP-105 route after I graduate in a few months.  That being said, I myself am very skeptical about the sonic differences in DACs.  In fact, one of the best pieces of kit I ever bought was a Behringer UCA202 that I used a few years ago for $23.50, no shipping, no tax.  The headphone out was fairly weak, but the DAC itself was more than impressive

Aug 25, 2013 at 9:59 PM Post #8,917 of 65,796
Quote:
I myself am going the Oppo BDP-105 route after I graduate in a few months.  That being said, I myself am very skeptical about the sonic differences in DACs.  In fact, one of the best pieces of kit I ever bought was a Behringer UCA202 that I used a few years ago for $23.50, no shipping, no tax.  The headphone out was fairly weak, but the DAC itself was more than impressive

the thing i think that gets people about dacs, is they can't make bad recordings sound good
and folks have expectations too high
i can here the differences between some dacs
the audioengine d1 and the modi they were easy to tell apart

Aug 25, 2013 at 10:20 PM Post #8,918 of 65,796
Quote:
There you are! :)

Honestly, I've always preferred the L-cush, but the G cush are really growing on me...I feel like I'm having a bit of a renaissance with these phones right now lol. They definitely are incredibly comfortable considering how light they are along with the bagels...I think I really just never gave them enough in terms of quality gear to allow them to sound their best.  I knew they were showing signs that they wanted better gear, but I just kept thinking "they're Grados...they can do without" lol. But maybe these are like the PS1ks in that respect and they really do need a quality source and amp in order to get the most out of them.  There's just so little info about them anywhere on head-fi that I didn't even think these would be that "needy". 

I have to say, I'm pretty excited....I feel like I've discovered a a lost treasure or something lol...

I'm happy for you, i like reading about positive stories like yours. Money doesn't grow on trees, so i find it sad when people spend their hard earned cash on something, and end up being disapointed.

I too, feel the same way about the Little Dot 1+, it sounds so much better than my X-Can V2, that it feels like i'm rediscovering my music collection all over again. 

Aug 25, 2013 at 10:25 PM Post #8,919 of 65,796
Quote:

I'm happy for you, i like reading about positive stories like yours. Money doesn't grow on trees, so i find it sad when people spend their hard earned cash on something, and end up being disapointed.

I too, feel the same way about the Little Dot 1+, it sounds so much better than my X-Can V2, that it feels like i'm rediscovering my music collection all over again. 

This makes me happy. 
biggrin.gif

Aug 25, 2013 at 10:38 PM Post #8,920 of 65,796
Quote:

Either of the last two. I didnt' spend a lot of time with the stock tubes, but it was a clear upgrade when I replaced them with some Telefunkens. 

Quote:
my favorite tube was the mullard 6am6 which is ef91/92 setting
or the rca 5915 which is a heptode, using the ef95 setting
now with the ps500, i liked the erricson 408a, it tightened up the bass

when i bought the amp , it arrived with the siemens 6ak5
i never did get the we408's , they are supposed to be good
check out the little dot tube rolling thread, lost of good info
and nice folks too

Thank you guys, I'll get more information on that and see.

Aug 25, 2013 at 11:55 PM Post #8,922 of 65,796
Quote:

As much as I love the looks of the GS1ks, I have honestly felt bad having them here at times since the 500s and my T1s were getting far more head time. Now they're in the rotation more than ever and I'm truly enjoying them. 

I'm glad so many of us have gotten such enjoyment from the Little Dot, as well...it's just the perfect counterpart for Grados. Incredible how well it performs for the money...not many products I can think of that offer better!

Aug 25, 2013 at 11:58 PM Post #8,923 of 65,796
Quote:
Just placed an order for some RS1i's. Looking forward to some Grado action.

Since you're a fellow fan of Meier, I'll tell you that you may find you become addicted to the Grados with crossfeed engaged. I am not using my Corda Classic to drive my Grados (not usually, anyway) but I split the signal out of my Daccord. I've really become dependent on this circuit now...it took my T1s to another level and it's done the same with my Grados. 

Great choice on the RS1s :)

Aug 26, 2013 at 12:02 AM Post #8,924 of 65,796
Quote:

Since you're a fellow fan of Meier, I'll tell you that you may find you become addicted to the Grados with crossfeed engaged. I am not using my Corda Classic to drive my Grados (not usually, anyway) but I split the signal out of my Daccord. I've really become dependent on this circuit now...it took my T1s to another level and it's done the same with my Grados. 

Great choice on the RS1s :)

Interestingly, I'm also looking at getting a Littledot I+ to split off the Daccord for the Grados - I've been thinking about getting a small tube amp for a while but as they couldn't drive the LCD-2's I never got around to it.

Now I have an excuse :p How do you like the Little Dot?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back